Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Steering wheel locks when key is turned to 'On'

Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steering wheel locks when key is turned to 'On'

So, I had to weld a cracked clutch pedal bracket back together, and I tore the steering column out in the process. When I put it back in, the key wouldn't turn. Ended up tearing the key cylinder apart and playing operation on it...turned out well enough. I put the cylinder back in, start up, pull out of the carport and boom. Steering lock. With the truck running.

I took the cylinder back out and tried it with needle nose pliers. Same thing. With the ignition tab in 'On", the wheel will lock just like the truck is off.

Is it possible to disable the lock? It seems like a mechanical thing I missed when I tore it all apart, but I'm really not wanting to pull it all apart again...

I searched for anyone else with this issue, but everything I found is a variant of 'key won't turn and steering is locked', which is clearly not my issue.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is a mechanical thing which you did not get back together correct most likely in to big of a hurry.

The ignition switch not turning happens quite often just needs a little finessing no need to pull things apart well to late now.

Take your time figure things out
Old 10-13-2014, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got it fixed. I had to tear the steering column back out. It turns out the ignition switch in the back of the key cylinder can be put in with the lock connecting rod turned too far, hence misaligning the lock connecting rod and causing steering wheel lock when the key was not in 'lock'.

...That made more sense in my head.

Anyhow, it looks like I had everything in the right place to begin with, but the non-functionality would have been noticed sooner had I tested the wheel lock before i put the steering wheel back in.

On a side note, I now know more about the lock mechanisms on these trucks than I ever wanted to...