Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

steering/brake help!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering/brake help!

Hi guys, I wondered if you could help me out a bit. I have a 95 4runner and it has a few issues. The steering is SUPER loose, about 3+ inches of play in the steering wheel which makes driving straight on the freeway a little interesting especially when its windy. Now another problem is the brakes. After just a few miles the peddle goes straight to the floor even though I am just driving around town, which makes for more pucker moments. I have bled the brake system with no luck. My brother in-law suggested it might be the brake booster since that affects both. What would you suggest be the best way to fix these? I was thinking about swapping in some new tie rod ends and ball joints. Do you really think that, that will take up that much slack? As far as the brakes, I'm a bit lost as to why they would fade so fast. Thanks in advance!!

Snooze
Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 AM

i had similar issues with my 90 4runner, with the steering anyways.
you can check your ball joints pretty easily by jacking your truck up and pushing and pulling on your wheels, if they have any play its probably a good idea to change them.
in my case i did the BJ's, top and bottom, and the tie rods, inside and outside, then got an alignment - problem solved.
as far as your brake problem... sounds like your have a leak or possibly high water content. if you pump them do they get firm again?
good luck
Old 03-16-2009, 10:24 AM

actually, you can determine whether its your bj's or tie rods by the direction you push on your wheels.
ie: if you are pushing the top (12 o'clock) and the bottom (6 o'clock) and you find some play that would be bj's. if you are pushing from the sides (3 and 9 o'clock) it would be your tie rods.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by sinneDBTB
actually, you can determine whether its your bj's or tie rods by the direction you push on your wheels.
ie: if you are pushing the top (12 o'clock) and the bottom (6 o'clock) and you find some play that would be bj's. if you are pushing from the sides (3 and 9 o'clock) it would be your tie rods.
Hey, thanks for posting that. That is some good advice, I will try pulling/pushing on them and see what happens. When I pump on the brakes when the engine is running, they do not get any firmer but they do when the engine is off. I will go and take a better look to see if I have any leaks, I don't think I do since I am not loosing any fluid.