Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Steering Box Tech

Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Box Tech

Hello, Everyone,

I put a used '86 IFS steering box on my truck a few months ago after the original one had its sector shaft broken.

For background on the steering: I had an alignment done a few weeks ago, both tie rods (inner + outer) and steering link replaced with OEM parts, and a new OME steering stabilizer installed, so I'm assuming these components are good. Fluid is fresh and topped up.

The used box, I suspect, had been sitting for a long time, and operates a little funny. I notice when driving down a road, if I point the steering straight, the truck will track straight, as it should. If I am turning left, the truck will turn left with a pretty light steering feel, and will only return about 80 or 90 % of the way when you straighten out. I just straighten out the steering, and it will again go where I point it, and not pull in any direction. If I turn right, it is a little stiffer than turning left, and will return much quicker to a much straighter steering position than when turning left.

I am thinking the pressure valving or the centering valve in the used box is messed up. I know from the manual that when you turn one way, it forces fluid into one 'side' of the box, and when you turn another, it pushes the fluid differently. Would you agree this is what is to blame?

To rectify this with minimal downtime, would you buy a third steering box and rebuild this one, buy a rebuild kit and sector shaft for the original box (and risk messing it up too), or, something I haven't thought of.

I'm pretty sure I installed the used box as I removed it -- especially considering the truck tracks straight when the steering is pointed straight on, I would think I didn't install the splines incorrectly or something.

If anyone's got some advice, I'd be happy to hear it!

Thanks,
khany2002