Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Started my new rear bumper/tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started my new rear bumper/tire carrier (finished page 8)

****This will be a production bumper at some point. But for now, its just for mine. I will need to get it setup for my jigs. And, it will require welding to be installed and to handle towing duties.

Okay, I got a little done today. I built the main body of the bumper itself, got one frame mount done, and the hitch built.

Since the 4runner will eventually get a 3.4L to replace the 3.0L, I needed something stout enough to handle towing. I have a small camping trailer setup for pulling it off road. Its basically a smaller version of a M416. So, that is the reason for the 2x3 main body and hitch.

When talking to my buddy John about how to make the bumper a little different, he threw out an idea joking around, and it kind of intrigued me. So, I tried to give it a shot to see how I like it. If I don't I can always just cut it off, but I will at least mock it up to see if its going to be feasible.

He mentioned doing something like a Lamborghini door for the rear tire carrier. At first we both kind of laughed it off, but then we started brainstorming to see if it was doable. We figured that with a hydrolic shock, or even an air shock, we could easily lift and lower the carrier. What I dislike about most carriers is that they open up into traffic, or into the driving lane by 5ft(like at the grocery store). I also dislike the trailer spindle designs because they fail easily and just aren't up to the task of the static load put on them. So, I decided that a roller bearing design would be the way to go. Just so happens it will work great for this application as well.

The white pieces are HD Teflon blocks. They will be used to take up the space between the swing away arm and the bumper. That should allow me to clamp the swing arm tight to the bumper.

More to come.

Last edited by ScottyC; 04-11-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far so good. I like.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:10 AM

I like the integrated tube design. I realize this thread is more about function than form, but I thought Id throw my vote in for the "look."
Old 12-25-2008, 09:19 AM

That's a very interesting idea. The main reason I never bought a tire carrier was because of the way they opened. Always a huge hassle.

I also like the bar coming out of the box tube. I'm very curious as to how this turns out and how you mount the damper/strut to keep the carrier up while still allowing the tailgate to open.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:31 AM

nice work!
Old 12-25-2008, 02:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The big problem I see is where are you going to mount the lift-assist cylinder that it won't be either sticking out when the tire is closed or block access to the back when it's open ...
Old 12-25-2008, 02:50 PM

More progress. I had a couple hours to get some more done:

For now, everything is pretty much just tacked in place for mock up. I have to go grab some more 2x3 .188 wall for the lower swing arm, and the latching mechanism tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:58 PM

more please...
Old 12-25-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by tc
The big problem I see is where are you going to mount the lift-assist cylinder that it won't be either sticking out when the tire is closed or block access to the back when it's open ...
Well, I think I have ironed out the Pneumatic shock design at this point. Its going to require a typical rear hatch shock. The plan is to mount it between the 2x3 square and the rear tube on the bumper on the top of the hitch, and attach to the swing arm just above it. Then after its vertical, I will have a quick release pin on the upper end to pull the shock off to lower the tailgate when needed.

When I am done, I just close the tailgate, put the shock back in place, and lower it down.

The shock will be safe between the bumper and rear tube, and out of harms way as well as hidden when completely closed.

In most cases I won't need to lower the tailgate anyway with the window down, but can if I need to.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:25 PM

I'm interested to see this worked through.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:11 PM

Very nice looking!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Why have to disconnect the lift shock at all? It looks possible to push the swingout mount out a little farther outboard and mount the shock parrallel to the arm. That way you'll get max stretch out of the shock. Make sence?

How is the tire going to be supported? A-frame in the center or off to the passenger side? It's a sweet design, very unique!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:28 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Well, I think I have ironed out the Pneumatic shock design at this point. Its going to require a typical rear hatch shock. The plan is to mount it between the 2x3 square and the rear tube on the bumper on the top of the hitch, and attach to the swing arm just above it. Then after its vertical, I will have a quick release pin on the upper end to pull the shock off to lower the tailgate when needed.

When I am done, I just close the tailgate, put the shock back in place, and lower it down.

The shock will be safe between the bumper and rear tube, and out of harms way as well as hidden when completely closed.

In most cases I won't need to lower the tailgate anyway with the window down, but can if I need to.
Hmmm ... will be interested to see it, but my initial thought is what a PITA just to use the tailgate. $0.02

What about incorporating some kind of torsion spring onto the hinge?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Hmmm ... will be interested to see it, but my initial thought is what a PITA just to use the tailgate. $0.02

What about incorporating some kind of torsion spring onto the hinge?
I'm thinking about something like this, but on a small scale to hold the shock at the upper end. Should be a split second removal.

A torsion style spring is big $$$ considering i already have the current hinge.

Last edited by ScottyC; 12-25-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Why have to disconnect the lift shock at all? It looks possible to push the swingout mount out a little farther outboard and mount the shock parrallel to the arm. That way you'll get max stretch out of the shock. Make sence?

How is the tire going to be supported? A-frame in the center or off to the passenger side? It's a sweet design, very unique!!!
A-frame centered. I hate the look of tires mounted to the side. Not to mention the extra weight on one side of the rig. Add my 235lb ass and a 110lb tire wheel on the same side. Ugh............

The hinge will need to be removed in order to drop the tailgate down.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ScottyC
The hinge will need to be removed in order to drop the tailgate down.
Right, got that. You're going to use a lift gate strut right? So, it's going to be attached to the bumper, above the hitch and then attached again on the arm above the hitch? That's one small strut...

Also, with the tire to the PASSENGER side at the hinge you might not even need the strut with all the wieght so low.

Last edited by BigBluePile; 12-25-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Right, got that. You're going to use a lift gate strut right? So, it's going to be attached to the bumper, above the hitch and then attached again on the arm above the hitch? That's one small strut...

Also, with the tire to the PASSENGER side at the hinge you might not even need the strut with all the wieght so low.
True, but I won't be able to see squat. At least in the middle, I cans still see somewhat. Better than nothing.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Yup, it'll be better than nothing. Can't wait for more pics!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So after I purchase a front bumper from you for my 84 runner, will this be in production for me to buy too?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by stagger_lee
So after I purchase a front bumper from you for my 84 runner, will this be in production for me to buy too?
At some point, yes. Well, maybe with a standard swing away hinge. It will require welding though since the frame mount will need to be welded into the frame rails for strength.

Last edited by ScottyC; 12-26-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Started my new rear bumper/tire carrier