86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stalling when braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stalling when braking

For the last few weeks, I thought I had been chasing down an EGR problem in my 94, 3.0, auto 4runner. I had gotten code 71, had the vacuum modulator replaced by mechanic, along with some maintenance work and then I started having seemingly random stalls. EGR system has since been tested thoroughly and is good. Mechanic is stumped, but believes it has something to do with electrical/ignition system, I just don't want to pay them anymore to not find a solution. The problem is getting progressively worse, and now I know a little more about it, but still don't know where my problem is.

What I know:
Has remote start system of unknown origin/age (was there when I bought it, hasn't caused a problem for over a year, don't know if its related to anything?)
When line to EGR is blocked, the problem is still there
No codes
Random cutting out of the blower fan, has only happened a couple times and has no noticeable pattern
Stall happens every time I touch the brakes, can start it but as soon as I touch brakes to put it in gear, it cuts out. Some days I can actually drive it a bit and it will try to stall, but if I give it the gas, sometimes it can pull through it, sometimes it can't.
After stalling, will always restart with remote start, but not always with key. Will crank and crank, but not turn over. Remote start turns it over every time (this is why I think remote start might be involved)
If I pull the brake light fuse, problem is gone, could the problem be isolated to that circuit?

To me, it must be an electrical issue, but I am not good at solving these. Any ideas on where to start? Could the brakes be cutting off the ignition some how? Bad ground (those looks pretty good and all connected, albeit 18 years old)? Loose wire? I dunno, but if anyone here has any suggestions for troubleshooting/looking for the problem I would appreciate it greatly!

Last edited by cambob; 03-02-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 PM

sounds like a bad vacuum leak some where maybe intake gasket, brake booster, etc need to check vacuum pressure
Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by totallyt100
sounds like a bad vacuum leak some where maybe intake gasket, brake booster, etc need to check vacuum pressure
I second this.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM

So is there any other way to check this than plugging the line to the brake booster? I just got in from doing that and problem persists. As soon as I tap the brakes and trigger the lights it happens again... The thing that has me stumped is that the problem is gone when you pull the brake light fuse.

Last edited by cambob; 03-03-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 AM

Well, just an update in case anyone else comes searching for something similar. Found the problem. Old brake light wiring/ignition under the steering column panel had cracked a little exposing the copper. Two wires must have kept crossing when I hit bumps and such. Replaced a couple lengths of wire and all is well again. Thanks for the heads up the vacuum leaks too. I found a couple small ones with pinholes. Although they weren't the issue at least I know they are brand new now.