Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

sr5 cluster swap issues

Old 02-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sr5 cluster swap issues

whats up guys, so i have a 87 non sr5 pickup. i bought an sr5 turbo cluster off ebay and put it in last night. here are my issues im hoping to find answers for.
temp gauge goes to halfway point as soon as ignition is clicked on before truck is even started and motor is cold. once started and driving it goes up to overheating for normal engine temp. i know its not over heating because the old cluster worked fine that i had in yesterday. i did find the sticky on possibly having to solder a wire back down so until i disassemble the cluster this may be my culprit.

gas light comes on when in acc power. once started no gas gauge. havent found much info on this yet and this is obviously something i need to have on a daily basis lol guage worked fine on old non sr5 cluster...

my oil pressure sensor was unplugged before i even installed the cluster because i dont have the right sending unit in for the sr5 cluster. no one had it close by so i had autozone order it for me and i will have it tomorrow. i dont think this would have anything to do with the gas gauge but just pointing it out incase it does for some weird reason.

any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The temp gauge is a common problem with these clusters. I have a Turbo gauge and seems like when I tried to use it, it gave me some issues that I cant recall right off what they were.

I have ran with the oil sending unit not hooked up and it did not cause any issues so really don't think it is causing you any as well.

Is this the digital gauge or the regular style gauge? If it is the digital, I am not sure if it will work with yours, I don't know on that.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The temp gauge is a common problem with these clusters. I have a Turbo gauge and seems like when I tried to use it, it gave me some issues that I cant recall right off what they were.

I have ran with the oil sending unit not hooked up and it did not cause any issues so really don't think it is causing you any as well.

Is this the digital gauge or the regular style gauge? If it is the digital, I am not sure if it will work with yours, I don't know on that.

It's the regular style gauge. Like u said temp gauge is common issue so I'm not to worried about that until I take it apart and look at what's already been found to be an issue with the wire being loose and needing resoldered. If that doesn't fix it then I'll be worried again lol

The gas gauge on the other hand I'm not to sure what the issue is there. That's my main concern at this point

****update****
I pulled the cluster apart again and check the common issue with the temp gauge. The wires were all still intact and still soldered down. So that is now ruled out. I also checked to see the wires were all intact and still soldered on the fuel gauge as well and those checked out too. Cluster came from an 1986. If u know of any wiring differences from 86 to 87 let me know!

Last edited by Zpayne21; 02-19-2016 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-19-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zpayne21
It's the regular style gauge. Like u said temp gauge is common issue so I'm not to worried about that until I take it apart and look at what's already been found to be an issue with the wire being loose and needing resoldered. If that doesn't fix it then I'll be worried again lol

The gas gauge on the other hand I'm not to sure what the issue is there. That's my main concern at this point

****update****
I pulled the cluster apart again and check the common issue with the temp gauge. The wires were all still intact and still soldered down. So that is now ruled out. I also checked to see the wires were all intact and still soldered on the fuel gauge as well and those checked out too. Cluster came from an 1986. If u know of any wiring differences from 86 to 87 let me know!

No one has any ideas for me to look into?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Different years use different resistance your sending unit does not match the gauge.

Is your new cluster Analog or Digital??

They for sure don`t match.

The Analog should be looking for the same resistance

Your going to need to check Your FSM to find the information you need.

Either that or the gauge just does not work
Old 02-19-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Different years use different resistance your sending unit does not match the gauge.

Is your new cluster Analog or Digital??

They for sure don`t match.

The Analog should be looking for the same resistance

Your going to need to check Your FSM to find the information you need.

Either that or the gauge just does not work
Both old and new are analog. eBay seller claimed tested on running truck and everything works.

I'm going to assume the 22ret had an electric fuel pump. I have a 22r which is a mechanical. I know on most electric setups the sending unit is on the same basket the pump sits in. So I'm assuming if the sending units arnt the same which is maybe why my gauge isn't working... I'm trying to find the fsm's for both 87 and 86 and I'll try an go from there to see what I can figure out
Old 02-20-2016, 03:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

No your wrong on Toyota`s the fuel pump bracket and sending units are different spots in the tank.

It is very possible the wires on the connectors on the cluster between the turbo and others are different.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
No your wrong on Toyota`s the fuel pump bracket and sending units are different spots in the tank.

It is very possible the wires on the connectors on the cluster between the turbo and others are different.
Ok that's good to know. Now I just need to get wiring diagrams for my 87 and the turbo 86 and hopefully I can get it figured it out!