Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Squealing Clutch!! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squealing Clutch!! Need help!

OK so I have put in a clutch last week and after I put everything back together when I crank up the truck and pressed in the clutch it squealed like hell. when I took it back apart I realize the throwout bearing had seized up and had also ate the pressure plate.so today I put in a new clutch and another new throwout bearing and when I put it together every time I press in the clutch it is still making a God awful squealing noise.both times I put in all new parts so I don't know what could be going wrong here I am extremely aggravated and tired and worn out so please somebody help thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had a throwout bearing to seize as well. It is possible to get the clutch disk in backwards. The big flat part goes toward the flywheel and the hub goes toward the transmission.

Another area is are you getting the throwout bearing mounted correctly? Some use 2 black clips and one uses a wire like device to hold it on.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have had a throwout bearing to seize as well. It is possible to get the clutch disk in backwards. The big flat part goes toward the flywheel and the hub goes toward the transmission.

Another area is are you getting the throwout bearing mounted correctly? Some use 2 black clips and one uses a wire like device to hold it on.
yep I put it in the right way it actually says flywheel side on the clutch so I know that's right.i also ordered new clips for the hub that the throw out bearing goes on. Could it have something to do with the fork and pivot ball? The only thing is before I attempted to change the clutch I never had any noise just slipping.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new pressure plate, right?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:21 AM

oh, and how is the pilot bearing?
Old 08-23-2015, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by AKHeathen
oh, and how is the pilot bearing?
Brand new pilot bearing. I put in the same pressure plate as the one i put in last weekend it was brand new but had gotten chewed up some from something going wrong when I first installed it. The teeth looked a little uneven do you think that could be a major issue?
Old 08-23-2015, 05:29 AM

definitely. first thing is why are the teeth uneven? find the answer to that and you might find the problem. could be a warped pressure plate or flywheel surface, or could be a small grain of sand caught in there somewhere. the pressure plate might need rebuilding again. you need to tear it apart and inspect carefully.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by AKHeathen
definitely. first thing is why are the teeth uneven? find the answer to that and you might find the problem. could be a warped pressure plate or flywheel surface, or could be a small grain of sand caught in there somewhere. the pressure plate might need rebuilding again. you need to tear it apart and inspect carefully.
Ok well after the first time I had the squealing problem I took the clutch out and the pilot bearing fell out. So I think that it may not have been set in the whole way or something. But it's in there for sure this time I just don't know why it would be still whining when I press in the clutch. I may have to replace the pressure plate since it was damaged a little from cranking it up the first time. Would the tob not hitting it even the whole way around cause this whining sound?
Old 08-23-2015, 06:21 AM

when you are not releasing the clutch, there is no pressure on either bearings or the pressure plate, and everything else is just locked together. i usually clean the bore real good and use bearing mount on the pilot bearings. it has a while to cure, so starting up once done centeres the bearing good. i can explain it 6 ways from sunday, but bottom line is the squealing means that metal is rubbing metal, rather than bearing spinning freely between the parts.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
According to the FSM, the teeth are supposed to be aligned within .020" of each other, so if you can see the misalignment they are way out of spec. The result of the misalignment is a rocking motion on the TOB as the pressure plate turns, which causes the TOB to move on the transmission input shaft housing, causing a squeal. Usually this shows up as a squeal when the clutch is fully engaged and your foot is off the pedal, but I suppose it's possible that a severe misalignment could cause the problem when the clutch fork is applying pressure to the TOB.

The rocking motion and squealing is a classic Toyota problem, and still shows up on late model Tacomas and FJ Cruisers. Google "Toyota clutch chirp" for more info.

I don't know if this is your problem, but I would certainly get those teeth aligned, because if you don't you will have the problem I've described above, and while relatively harmless, it'll drive you nuts.

Last edited by RJR; 08-24-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Some other things to throw out there. Is the flywheel fully seated on the crankshaft?

Did you use a torque wrench and a progressive increase in torquing?

What brand clutch kit are you using?

Did you use the alignment tool on the friction disc?

Did you use s torque wrench on the pressure plate.

I've seen people smash the dowel pin on the crankshaft and have the flywheel all jacked. I've seen pressure plates unevenly torqued with the fingers all cockamamie. I saw a shade tree mechanic clip the balance weights off a Centerforce clutch because he thought they looked funny
Old 08-26-2015, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by fierohink
Some other things to throw out there. Is the flywheel fully seated on the crankshaft?

I've seen people smash the dowel pin on the crankshaft and have the flywheel all jacked. I've seen pressure plates unevenly torqued with the fingers all cockamamie. I saw a shade tree mechanic clip the balance weights off a Centerforce clutch because he thought they looked funny
Haha that's too funny about the weights. Yea your theory on the misalignment is really what I was thinking but just like you said I wouldn't think it would do it when I disengage the clutch. Well I'm about to order a new clutch kit do I can get a new tob and pressure plate and also order a new tob hub from 22reperformance.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:31 AM

you have to remember that it's opposite of a disc brake. when you don't touch it, everything is locked together and the throw-out bearing is just basically sitting there on the shaft free-spinning. when you release the clutch, you are putting pressure on everything but the clutch plate. if the fingers are not lined up even, then something wasn't bolted down right/square. take it apart, check why and do it again. if you can afford it, moly graphite paste is awesome on sliding wear surfaces, like the pilot bearing where it contacts the fork, shaft, and pressure plate fingers, and where the fork rides on the ball.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by fierohink

reminds me of when i loaned out my weller 8200. just put a new tip on it and my buddy "cut off the solder glob on the end" as i found out when he said it didn't work good, lol. he clipped off the iron tip.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Is it possible that the slave cylinder is not completely releasing? You would have a slipping clutch but just wondering if it is possible to cause the squeal.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm reluctant to suggest faulty hydraulics, because as has been said, that is the opposite direction of resting force.

Hundreds of pounds of force wants to clamp the pressure plate.