86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spray Paint inside cab?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray Paint inside cab?

I pulled the carpet out of my truck, nasty thing was beyond wash and repair and was holding water down in the floor pans.. Did a bit of research on bed liner on the inside of the cab, but came to the conclusion that im not gonna spend $100 on a diy kit on it when ive read alot of mixed results, but havent seen anything on spray painting.. So my question is has anyone just spray painted the inside of the cab and had any isues? besides noise, which isnt that big of a deal cuz the OE sound deadener will be left intact.. Just curious if it has a tendency to flake after awhile or anything abnormal before i do it, and if i should primer before? I have big rubber mats covering front and rear floors, but ya never know.. But i just hate carpet and the maintenance on it, would rather just pull the plugs and stick a hose in the cab every time it got muddy or real dirty..
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM

I would have to guess with the proper prep and using epoxy based paint it would hold up pretty good.anything besides epoxy would prob scratch and get damaged pretty quick.epoxy based paint is what the good garage floor paints are made of and they hold up great.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
all paint/coatings really depend on the prep job beforehand. quality epoxy paint isn't that much less than a DIY bedliner product - and it'd be slippery if you got in your rig with muddy feet.

i had painted cab in an old truck before, right over factory paint inside cab. pretty much what you'd expect. holds up alright where it doesn't get worn, like if you don't have floor mats (or from floor mats sliding). definitely loud on the ears without carpet. dunno how well it'll hold up on the sound deadening material since it's kinda flexible, mine didn't have it.

i've also had herculiner inside an old K5 blazer - would use a different product if i'd do it again (it was kinda the only DIY stuff back then). something like UPOL Raptor liner or Al's Liner if doing it DIY since they're supposedly a superior product and more similar to professional LineX, etc. herculiner had WAY high texture, like popcorn ceiling, and held dirt like a mofo and wasn't the greatest when you had to crawl on your knees across it, also texture wasn't uniform even after 3 coats.

as for water pooling inside, i added some extra drain holes and found some rubber plugs similar to piggy bank plugs
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Let me start with a list
Con:
Wet paint is slick as snot.
Scratchs easy, Drop your keys you'll get a ding.
Two part epoxy paint isn't cheap.
Without a THICK epoxy clear coat you'll wear thru from normal shifting and throttle action.
You can't paint the sound baffle material, it'll chip, flake or just rub off.

Pro:
You might find a cheap deal on some awful color.

I'd go with a roll on liner two part(epoxy), or rubber type. Durabak is a rubber type, and the Rustoleum pro kit is an epoxy type. The rubber types are semi self repairing, they might require additional heat. The epoxy types are tough as nails, the rustoleum pro is 1 to 1 epoxy and alluminium oxide. Most of the issues I've seen are chips and cracking, these are polyester/vinyl types.

You could go with a rubber or neoprene mat, and get good sound dampening. However if they're not glued down you'll get dirt migration under them which will eat your paint.

So my question is has anyone just spray painted the inside of the cab and had any isues? besides noise, which isnt that big of a deal cuz the OE sound deadener will be left intact.. Just curious if it has a tendency to flake after awhile or anything abnormal before i do it, and if i should primer before?
Yes it's been done. Yes it will flake if not prepared properly. Yes you'll want to prime with several coats of epoxy based primer.

If you have bare metal or rust anywhere you're probably best off doing an epoxy primer job no matter what you choose todo, even just laying the gunked up carpet back down.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 PM

^^All good points, better to just do it right the first time, damn floors are more expensive than i thought it would be.. Did a little more research, found a liner over on pirate called monstaliner that has much less texture then normal liners so its better for cabs, and is around the same price as others.. Gonna go that route, eventually..
Old 01-11-2013, 05:00 AM

i had to completely replace my drivers side floor pan cause the carpet was the only thing holding it up. When i welded the new pan in i sealed the entire weld seam(both inside and out with seal all(designed to seal anything from water and comes in a spray can). i then sprayed the entire floor with rubberized undercoating(inside) Think i did 3 coats. All depends on what your looking for. I chose undercoating because it was cheap,rubberized so you loose some noise and i was putting the carpet and floormats back in the truck. Bed liner looks awesome although alittle expensive. I would only use bedliner if your not replacing the carpet. Why bother spending that kind of money/time if you have to peel the carpet back to see it.