Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spare tire

I recently purcahsed a 1991 SR5 4x4 pickup, with 184k on it.

The tires were all replaced about 5-6k ago and the tread has tones of life left on it. But I recently ripped the sidewall on the passenger side front tire. The tire is not repairable, and with my luck the tire is discontinued so i cant replace it.

Currently I have the spare tire on and it doesnt seem to handle that great. The sprae tire is the same size as all the rest (31x10.5x15)

My question is what do I do now?

Do I put the spare on the rear of the truck and drive it?

Keep the spare on the front?

Buy 2 new tires?

With the above options will I damage anything when putting it into 4wd?

Buying a complete set of new tires is not an option financially, as it would probably cost more for the tires than I payed for the truck...

Looking for your input, oh the truck will be driven on the road 95% of the time and rarely see any off roading but will see some snow fun in the winter
Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
if the tires are the same OD, (i.e. 31") they should be fine to roll on until you can afford new ones... if they are not, then make sure the spare is on the front, dont run it up there for too long, make sure the hubs are unlocked...

do not put it in 4wd with mismatched tires on the front end... im betting that the gears WONT like that at all...
Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 PM

why cant you just check to see if you can buy that one new tire? or are you saying that oyu know that the tire is discontinued? i read it as you think because you have badlck the tire will be discontinued
Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Sorry about the wording. The tire has already been discontinued.

All of the tires (including the spare) are the same size (31x10.5x15)
since the tires are all the same size does it matter whether or not the spare is on the front or back?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Handle as in how? does it shake? not grip right? It's possible it's not balanced or the rim is bent, maybe that's why it's the spare?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can think of two things.

1) Since it sounds like the spare is a different tire than the other three have you checked to make sure it is indeed a radial? If it's a bias tire and the rest are radials (or the other way around for that matter) then it'll handle a little odd.

2) Has the spare been balanced?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I can think of two things.

1) Since it sounds like the spare is a different tire than the other three have you checked to make sure it is indeed a radial? If it's a bias tire and the rest are radials (or the other way around for that matter) then it'll handle a little odd.
Good one, never gave a thought to a bias...don't see those much anymore.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM

The spare tire is a Dunlop Grantrek Radial while the other 3 tires are Dunlop Rover Tourunt LT Radials. I had the spare tire taken off the steel wheel, and had it mounted and balanced on the aluminum wheel so all the wheels matched.

It feels like the steering isnt as tight and the truck seems to be a little more shakey at highway speeds. Also if I hit the brakes hard the mismatched tire always lockes up first.

Would moving the odd tire to the rear smooth things out?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:00 AM

unevenly worn (or excessively worn) tires can wobble all on their own. I wouldn't replace a single tire on my 4x4 unless the other 3 were awful close to brand new. Not only do I consider the tires to be hugely important (as, hopefully, they are the only part of your truck to touch the terrain) and the problems that can arise from running even slightly different diameter tires can really torture your poor drivetrain in 4x4. If you are low on cas, I suggest you spring for a pair of tires. If your tires are old, tired, and on their last legs anyhow, I don't have to tell you that piecemeal replacing your tires one-by-one is far from the best way to go. If you have the cash, the buy-3-get-1-free deals are usually great, they hook-line-and-sinker'd me on that one. Is your spare tire rim the same as the other 4? If so, pick the best single tire you got, and thats your new spare! Plus, when I threw nice nobby offroad tires on my 4runner, I fell in love with it allll over again!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Sounds like the spare is old and probably hardened up. They'll do that from time to time. put it on the back and see what happens...I'd avoid running mismatched tires on the front if at all possible. get 2 new ones as soon as possible so that you have matching tires on axles.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM

0h, I bought a car one time that had this awful balance issue... it turned out that the previous owner had dumped that 'green stuff' for flat repair into one of the tires, and there was basically a pool of it on one side. I know you just replaced one tire, but who knows... maybe the condition of the one tire was balancing out the problem of one of the other tires! aah! I'd seriously advise you replace the four of your tires. I know it stings, but its something you wont have to worry about for along arse time afterwords.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM

Lumpy - Thanks! Thats the kinf of straight forward answer I was loooking for.

Now I know on my car, which is locked in AWD all the time, putting 2 new tires on the car will eat up the trasfer case.

With my truck which can be placed in and out of 4wd, does replacing only 2 tires(keeping the size uniform among the 4) have any effects on the t-case when in 4wd?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 AM

depends on how worn the other 2 are. In reality any difference in size will make a difference. but no matter how hard you try after a few thousand miles all the tires will have worn a bit differently. so it all depends on how worn the older ones are. I really can not say with out actually seeing them. I'm thinking you'll be ok, put the newer on the rear so they will wear faster. be sure the front it's aligned as well.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 AM

really, the answer is yes and no. With open differentials, there is some wiggle room, but imagine all 4 of your wheels pulling a different amount on the drivetrain. The toyota is a stout vehicle, and takes abuse relatively well - even in stock form. I would just as soon invest in the tires and if I break my poor toy beyond repair somehow, I can still take the wheels and tires and buy another toyota to put them on. The safest way to do it is to buy 2 new tires and put them on your front steering wheels so if you have a blowout, you probably won't eat it into a wall or somesuch. The easiest way on your drivetrain is to run 2wd all the time, put the freshies on the rear for uniformity, and put the 2 worn tires on the front on unlocked hubs so they just turn freely. I'd sooner have the evenly wearing and safe benefits of having all 4 new tires. Even if you don't shell out for something expensive, having 4 new tires of any of the same type will give you these benefits.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:52 AM

NYChop, I totally agree the best way is go for all 4...but sometimes it just isn't in the budget...But I think he'll be alright as long as the older ones are not all that worn...
Old 06-10-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
NYChop, I totally agree the best way is go for all 4...but sometimes it just isn't in the budget...But I think he'll be alright as long as the older ones are not all that worn...
I totally agree. It just so happened that I was forced to the tire shop on a flatbed. I was pulling onto a highway onramp and some piece of metal was wedged into the curb that cut both of my sidewalls right through. If my other two werent shot to the point where I expected fairly soon to have to replace them anyhow, I probably would have found another way about it. How worn they are and how broke you are are indeed the two factors that dictate what you do here. If they are dry and cracked and past their wear indicators and looking long in the tooth anyhow... you will inevitably have to replace them sooner rather than later. I am just suggesting that many places will offer you a deal on the fourth tire, so if you have to replace two anyhow, the cost to add that last third (and then get you the fourth free) warrants a serious bit of cost/benefit analysis. I'm glad I got the tires when I did, because the sale where I got them is over and I'm broke as hell! haha!

Last edited by NYChopshop; 06-10-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 PM

That sucks...
I was looking into buy 3 get 4...they wanted about 225 for the road hazard...so I still was looking over 600 for the set. I have a buddy that does tires and I got my 31x10.5 for about 75 each. he could not get me my 33x12.5 for under 165. so I hit Craig's list and made out on some half life 33's for now. I'm thinking they'll last me till next Oct, the 4Runner is not my DD the pickup is. I like the big ones just not the tag they carry.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a thought but if you're looking to get some 31's on a budget you might look into tread wright retreads. Very inexpensive and they wear like iron.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
That sucks...
I was looking into buy 3 get 4...they wanted about 225 for the road hazard...so I still was looking over 600 for the set. I have a buddy that does tires and I got my 31x10.5 for about 75 each. he could not get me my 33x12.5 for under 165. so I hit Craig's list and made out on some half life 33's for now. I'm thinking they'll last me till next Oct, the 4Runner is not my DD the pickup is. I like the big ones just not the tag they carry.
that can work out great, especially if the tires are evenly worn. I didn't exactly have that opportunity. I think I got free road hazard as part of the sale. It was from 4wheelparts out here in los angeles. I think I was out the door for about $650, but that included road hazard and 4 shiny new procomp xterrains mounted and balanced. There is a bunch of wiggle room with what tires you get, I personally feel you get what you pay for, but so long as you have 4 matching tires in good condition and moderate shape, you're in as good a shape as you could need to be in. I'm just trying to address the pair vs set issue. In fact, if you're driving and all is well, check craigslist and ebay and whatnot for a set of wheels and tires in good condition. Thats usually a cheaper way than getting any more than a pair of tires. I like craigslist, personally, because if I show up and the tires arent exactly what I was expecting for some reason, I can just shake the guys hand and go home.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Just a thought but if you're looking to get some 31's on a budget you might look into tread wright retreads. Very inexpensive and they wear like iron.
x2. It really pays off if you can find a spot near you that sells them. Even if you have to pay retail prices for the retreaded tires, you dont have to pay shipping on them! They might even not charge you for tire disposal!

Quick Reply: spare tire