Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Somethings switched (pun intended)....

Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somethings switched (pun intended)....

Ok, so the short of it is...

When I have the back window rolled down (which is pretty much always), I cannot activate the front windshield washer jets...but I CAN activate the rear window washer jet.

Logic would dictate that this is backwards - with the rear window down, the rear window washer jet should be disabled, not the windshield washer jets. If I want to spray my windshield, I have to roll up the rear window, spray the windshield, then roll the rear window back down...of course, with the rear window down, my truck thinks it's just peachy to spray washer fluid all over the cargo in the back. WTF?

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by IronsmanMedic; 07-09-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Oh My! And if you roll the windshield down... OOPS! LOL!

Did this just happen, or had been happening since you go the truck. BTW, wud facilitate things if you had description of your truck on your signature. 86 Runner 22RE, correct?

At first thought, not seeing your schematic, seems like the pump and switch connections to the control relay are switched... However, aren't the rear wiper/washer relay to far from the windshield washer/wiper control relay to allow that to happen?

Edit: Oh OK... "it's a '93 3.0 SR5 3VZE that has been worked on by mentally and physically retarded monkeys" - LOL
Trying to find schematic....

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 07-09-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Found truck model.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 PM

I knew I forgot something...

I'm working with a 1993 'runner 3VZE.

I assume that it's been an issue since I've owned it (about four months now), but I just now noticed it (as I just today tried to activate the front washers with the rear window down). Only thing I can think of is that a PO may have replaced the washer/wiper control arm and crossed wires? *shrugs*

For whatever it's worth, whoever has worked on this truck prior to it being in my possession was likely severely mentally challenged, blind, and likely had no hands, being forced to work on the truck with his/her two left feet that were disfigured beyond recognition due to a horrible lawnmower accident.

Last edited by IronsmanMedic; 07-09-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 PM

I wonder if I can just swap the washer fluid tubing...that way the pump that does work (with the rear window down) will be forced to pump said fluid to the windshield.

Well, that right there should work like a charm. Don't know why that didn't cross my mind until now. I guess I just had to type out the problem to get the cranial juices flowing. I'll swap the fluid lines in the am. :-)

Thanks for letting me bounce all of this off you. lol
Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 PM

Or hell, maybe the PO just effed up the tubing placement. I love and hate this truck. Correction: I love the truck, I just loathe the previous owner(s) and/or mechanics who have touched her.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by IronsmanMedic
Or hell, maybe the PO just effed up the tubing placement. I love and hate this truck. Correction: I love the truck, I just loathe the previous owner(s) and/or mechanics who have touched her.
Rather hard to swap control switches, power to pump, and hoses because the two control relays are far from each other.

I'd look at FSM. Maybe the P.O. rewired/hacked it.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Now I know the washer tank in my 92 4Runner did have the 2 pumps in the engine compartment

Then are not the two pumps in the back and front of the vehicle on that year making it impossible to swap hoses .

Then maybe the newer style was installed.

Since I very seldom look out the rear window I never have fixed any rear window washers.

I drive more vehicles that don`t have a mirror on the windshield I never use it.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are 2 pumps in your washer fluid tank. Probably the harnesses got switched. They are probably both the same. Switch the opposite and try again.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Problem Solved!

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
There are 2 pumps in your washer fluid tank. Probably the harnesses got switched. They are probably both the same. Switch the opposite and try again.
Finally got around to checking this out. Tubing was routed correctly. Checked the switch (to make sure the buttons pushed were activating the correct pump - front washer button activated front washer pump, rear button for rear pump). Sure enough, the front pump was activated by the rear switch and vice versa...busted out the ol' soldering iron and some heat shrink...30 minutes and four swapped wires later and everything is working appropriately.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yee haw