Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Some people shouldn't wrench on their junk

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some people shouldn't wrench on their junk

i have been smelling coolant for the last couple of days when i would get out of my truck. today i got off kinda early. when i arrived at the house i could smell coolant pretty strong, so i climbed under the truck, and found no real big leaks. i pulled the truck into the garage, left the engine running, and climbed under the truck again, and this time i found the leak. the metal pipe that connects to the intake manifold, the one with the o-ring, was leaking. grabbed my 10mm socket and went to tighten the bolts, and it broke with very little pressure. great. now i have a broken bolt in the intake. i drained the radiator, and let things cool down a little, and then i remove the second bolt, and removed the pipe, and as luck would have it, there was a 3/32" sticking out of the manifold, and with a flat blade screw driver, removed the broken bolt. the PO was trying to fix the leak by tightening the bolts, but the o-ring was broke. i have been fixing stupid stuff like this for a month now. if he owned a torque wrench, he surely could not read it. end of rant. thanks for listening...
Old 01-30-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
.....some people have all the luck. Apparently, you're not one of them.......

Sorry to hear that, tortis. I know it's a pain.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

my life story, you know without bad luck, i would have no luck at all.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds familiar the guy i bought my truck sounds the like the same guy....i have been fixing little crap here and there that he has destroyed....worst was all the drain and fill plugs....all of them were so rounded and chewed up and stripped...one had a little hole in it where it looked like he tried to take a screwdriver and twist it....i have almost gotten them all fixed....the last one i need to do is the tranny and that one is tore up.....he could of bought replacements at the dealers or from marlin like i did for nothing...POS
Old 01-30-2008, 04:04 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by tortis
grabbed my 10mm socket and went to tighten the bolts, and it broke with very little pressure......

the PO was trying to fix the leak by tightening the bolts...
Sounds you have about the same approach to fixing as the PO
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by runethechamp
You beat me to it... I was going to say the same thing.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:19 PM

same here on the 87'! Loose U-bolts steering studs,WHEEL LUGS exc...
Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those bolts were a pain in the ass...

I didn't want to risk having them leak seeing as though they were so hard to get to so I used some RTV on it. No leaks so far and its been a year.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runethechamp
not. it seems that the bolts are over torqued, or loose, or like the starter nut, missing. i was guessing loose on that bolt.
i should have taken a picture of his wiring for the stereo. what a mess.

overdrive, that is what i usually do. the dealer can't find the o-ring on their software, so i will make one for this truck like i did the 4runner.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Try working on my truck Its nicknamed the frankentruck for a reason
Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 PM

i feel sorry for the guy that bought my 86 sr5 after i traded it in.....it had a 20r in it out of a 80 i wonder if he;s had fun gettin parts
Old 01-31-2008, 12:39 AM

not. it seems that the bolts are over torqued, or loose, or like the starter nut, missing. i was guessing loose on that bolt.
i should have taken a picture of his wiring for the stereo. what a mess.

overdrive, that is what i usually do. the dealer can't find the o-ring on their software, so i will make one for this truck like i did the 4runner.

You know, after thinking about it there wasn't an oring for that in my top end kit so I actually took one of the extra gaskets for the egr that was in the kit (must have been 5 different egr gaskets) and I trimmed it a little to fit and then permatexed the heck out of it. Like I said though, it hasn't leaked a drop yet.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
You know, after thinking about it there wasn't an oring for that in my top end kit so I actually took one of the extra gaskets for the egr that was in the kit (must have been 5 different egr gaskets) and I trimmed it a little to fit and then permatexed the heck out of it. Like I said though, it hasn't leaked a drop yet.
that is exactly what i did. ultra gray works very very good for me. i have a box i keep any leftover gaskets in.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:34 AM

The guy that had mine before me had tried to remove the power steering pump pulley (trying to replace the pump I'm guessing, as that's when I discovered this) I think

I don't think he ever got the bolt out, he had rounded the head off so bad I had to get out the dremel and take it down a few sizes, and it wasn't hard at all to get off, neither was the pulley?

If he did get it off, then why the hell didn't he replace it? It was obviously rounded all to hell? who knows? it may have even been the dealership when they did the HG recall
Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The second day I owned my 4Runner, the timing chain snapped because the previous owner had not used thread locker/ not tightened the bolt holding the chain guide to the block. The bolt came loose, and fell in between the sprocket and the chain. He also killed the AFM with a screwdriver. I don't know how it ran at all. A coolant hose isn't too much to worry about.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:28 AM

that is exactly what i did. ultra gray works very very good for me. i have a box i keep any leftover gaskets in.
I became the Permatex king when I did my topend... I found that blue works best around water, black anywhere oil comes in contact with the gasket, and gray everywhere else.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 AM

So YOU grabbed a 10mm wrench and started to crank on it for the same reason he did.....

And your calling him a putz?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by farmerj
So YOU grabbed a 10mm wrench and started to crank on it for the same reason he did.....

And your calling him a putz?
i didn't crank on anything, and i guess i used the wrong term. i used my quarter inch socket, and i probably only turned it an eighth of an inch. the reason i used my quarter inch socket was because i could not get my torque wrench in there.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You know, sometimes turning a wrench is all it takes to stop a leak. Obviously, not in this case, but sometimes....

Last edited by thook; 01-31-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM

i didn't crank on anything, and i guess i used the wrong term. i used my quarter inch socket, and i probably only turned it an eighth of an inch. the reason i used my quarter inch socket was because i could not get my torque wrench in there.

Broken my fair share with a 1/4" drive socket, I still have a missing bolt on my right front hub from wrenching with a 1/4" socket set. I just never have replaced it.

Still strikes me as funny your are pedalling pretty fast to justify what YOU did, but slam the PO.

Most automotive stores have both metric and SAE o-ring kits. Both of which are also part of my tool box. At least two of the most common sizes are there as well.

Quick Reply: Some people shouldn't wrench on their junk