86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

some minor body work questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some minor body work questions

so i pulled out my old hood from storage yesterday so i could repaint it and use it on my truck, since the hood on it is from a 91, and doesnt fit properly. i have to slam it hard for it to latch. anyways, the hood has some dents on it that i cant get out, and i dont have any bondo, or know how to use bondo for that matter. what are some things i could do to get the dents out? they are in some hard areas. here are some pics

id really like to get those dents out as well as possible before i paint. if not possible, then oh well. also, should i do the TOYOTA letters down the hood? maybe more interesting? no, yes? hah
Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want it to look good take it to a body shop or get a new hood because if you cant use filler your not gona get them out. they are in bad spots to begin with and hoods are a pain any how. plus the metal is probly stretched and will need to be shrunk with heat (esp that front right corner)
Old 07-15-2008, 08:37 AM

ah, okay. thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by peachey
if you want it to look good take it to a body shop or get a new hood because if you cant use filler your not gona get them out. they are in bad spots to begin with and hoods are a pain any how. plus the metal is probly stretched and will need to be shrunk with heat (esp that front right corner)
he speaks the troof.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 AM

haha sorry that last post might be a litle harsh what is your body/metal work experience do you have a hammer/dolly set? a torch if necessary with O or 1 tip? Can you even axcess those dents from the back or is there any braceing behind them? i cant remember and i dont have my truck right now
Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 AM

sorry if my post was misleading but i was agreeing with you. i would just go find a good hood in a junk yard, prolly really cheap. working on hoods is a bummer because sometimes it is hard to access the back of it, and without experience and the right tools it will prolly looks worse after wards. and taking it to a body shop would be more money than buying a good one at a junk yard. this is just my opinion but i think im right.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 AM

Go buy a good one from somewhere, and then take the one in the pic and add a massive hood scoop for a conversational piece!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 AM

yeah. well i painted it anyway, letting it dry in the sun. (used spray paint, so idc about inperfections, gonna wet sand it 2 more times, along with 2 more coats of paint.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 AM

no your post was not missleading but the little response i got from him i was afraid he might have taken ofense

like you sead hoods are a royal pain you usualy just end up chasing the proplem across the hood or something and wishing you left it alone espetialy if you have little expeirence.

the hood scoop is a good idea or try and get them out but have another one that way you can get some expeirence and the best way to learn is by doing it and making mistakes that way the hood isnt a waist
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

na u didnt offend me. i dont get offended easily. if u had offended me i would have said somethin like, 'shut your *BEEP* mouth, you monkey *BEEP* eating son..*BEEEEEEEEP!!* lol. its cool.