86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Softopper for 1st Gen 4Runners on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Softopper for 1st Gen 4Runners on Ebay

Here is a link to an Ebay listing for pre orders for a Soft top for 1st generation 4runners. The price looks good, so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the other Softopper pickup truck tops and could give some insight on their quality. The price is hard to ignore when you compare it to the Can-back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=360051050790
Old 05-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Dang that is sweet. Now to figure out what i can hock to get it.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Looks pretty decent for what it is. Kinda nice to fold back, but not sure I would ever do that, the sun is HOT.

Not as robust as my CanBack, which held up amazingly well in a slow rollover. The replacement (thank you Travellers Insurance) is even better made than the original, though I redid the rear closure to conform to the original design. TruckCandy.com is very responsive BTW.

A different product really. Happy that more aftermarket folks are catering to the first gen 4Runner though!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Looks pretty nice and I also have a Can-Back. Frame pieces look a touch cheaper made but the fold up feature is nice and if the fabric is good it sounds like a decent deal.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:04 PM

Looks sweet, and its like half what canback wants. I hope the do a continuous production i'll definately be picking one up.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM

I ordered one on Monday

Called them direct, and placed the order. One nice thing about the fold down tops, is you can drop it before you scrape the whole side of your truck through the trees on a tight trail/road. Can't wait to get it, I've been running topless and I'm tired of tarping the truck at night to keep the cats off my interior.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:19 PM

I'm ready to ditch the hard top all together, storage is a PITA.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Damn that is a really nice top. Not too far from me either.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow 650 bucks my god you can make one just like that for a heck ofa lot less!!!!!!! and now i see how the top folds down ans snaps into place very very easy to do if you have a drill some rivets and a sower at home with a few buttons you can so make one im going to be making one in a few weeks or months and ill to a complete write up on all mesurments and prices and part numbers and were to get them ok guys i made one before i just didnt dubble hem the seams and the buttons ripped out ans guess what it costed only 50 bucks for everything!!!!! it just didnt go up over the rool bar it sayied down and looked like a pick-up but ill be posting a how to so you all can se how easy it is
Old 05-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

If one of you Front Range guys get one, let me know. I've ordered a KillerToyTops.com top. We can get together and compare designs, pro's and con's. Maybe write a review together...

Subscribing...

I bugged these guys all summer long a couple of years ago. Even tried to get them to buy out Ken's SunTop inventory & design. Then they come out with this and don't even send me an email first. Oh, well...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Well don't delay my friend cuz I'd really like a top like this. And tell me where I can send you the $50 for my top.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good and they say no drilling to install, which is the part I like. Does this look like Velcro to hold down the rear window?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Sure looks like Velcro to me! Better than drilling to put snaps on, like the STC/Kayline top.

BTW, MoxDawg, the guy who marketed the SunTop lives fairly close to you. When I talked to him a couple of years ago, he had just thrown out the last couple of tops that he had sitting around a few months before.

Last edited by 86Original; 05-14-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM

They have designed a new way to attach the rear flap to take the place of the velcro. Here is their description:

"Hello, Thanks for your interest.
We are currently having an injection mold made locally in Colorado to make some neat little nylon parts that attach to the rear/inside of the aluminum rails. We will supply everything you need except the plastic parts with your new soft top. The plastic parts will follow in about six weeks. Velcro is used on the tailgate until then which works perfectly fine and is what is used on all of our truck tops. The mating velcro is already sewn into the inside bottom of the rear window panel. If you want to wait the 6 weeks to order we will ship the new plastic parts with the topper then.
Order now, you will not be disapointed.

Actually the plastic parts will provide a snap fit to an aluminum bar that runs accross the entire length of lower part of the rear panel.
It holds the rear panel nice and secure and can easily be popped out on each end to gain access to the rear of the vehicle. It works very well.
Just so you know that even at 90 miles per hour the rear panel does not move around or flap.
The velcro has worked well for years. The new design is an upgrade that we just came up with and we will be including it with all of the new truck tops as well."
Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM

Moxdawg, i'm glad you found this. I live not too far from them, and had no idea they even existed.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah dont get me wrong there really nice............. and as for the 50 bucks go to hancock fabricks and get some heavy vinal ( i used all clear) and two boxes of snaps screew the snaps into the body of the truck and around the inside of the cab and then press the other side of the snap onto the clear top and sowe it al together thats about it guys but ill do a write up and if i get alot of people asking about or for them ill see how much they are add a few bucks for making them and ill send you one im guessing its going to be around maybe 200 bucks for the same top as linked in this thread maybe not sure yet ......... if you really wanna know more about them pm me and ill keep your name ready for when i start getting prices on everything and let you know how much if i even wanna do it
Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Moxdawg, i'm glad you found this. I live not too far from them, and had no idea they even existed.
I had been trying to decide between the Killer Toy Top and the Can-back. By the end of last week I was ready to pull the trigger on the Killer Toy and then my Saved Search for 4Runner soft tops on ebay found this listing and sent me an e-mail. I have been doing my homework on the Softopper ever since. As of now I am still undecided.

Moxdawg
Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 PM

I have wanted a canback since day 1 of owning my 4runner, but there is no way i'll fork out what they want for one.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hurley842002
I have wanted a canback since day 1 of owning my 4runner, but there is no way i'll fork out what they want for one.
You won't fork out what Canback is asking or what Softopper is asking? I think the Softopper is a steal.

BTW, there's NO WAY I'd put a vinyl top on or screw snaps into my 4Runner's body.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I got my Killer Toy Top today. I had to give the UPS driver $51.45 for "brokerage fee". Everything was paid in full including the shipping. He made a call on his phone, he said it must be from customs or import tax.

Quick Reply: Softopper for 1st Gen 4Runners on Ebay