Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

So you want to steal a 93 runner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you want to steal a 93 runner...

Two days ago, my truck was stolen. I have a black 93, 4 banger with zero options. I KNOW the doors were locked, as one of my children walked away from the car for the third time that day and I pitched the mother of all fits. The doors got locked. We walked into the store, got some shoes and then I sat and day dreamed about the garden I want to plant. I came back out and the truck is gone. It showed up last night. I was expecting a jacked up steering wheel, and an ignition that's destroyed, or at the least some wires exposed underneath. It's in PERFECT condition. The steering wheel still locks. There are no tool marks on the door from a slim jim. There ignition has no tool marks either. It looks all the world like someone used a key and just followed me to the store and then drove off with it. I really would like this not to be true, as it makes it a very personal situation. It's not like that was my first stop after leaving my house. I'd been shopping for 2 hours, 4 stores, and that was the last one. So either there's another way to steal a car that I'm missing or someone followed me around until there was no camera in a parking lot to record them. Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM

thats kinda creepy. no hide-a-key your aware of?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Sounds like its time to install a kill switch or new locks or both.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 PM

that sucks man! my friend just had his jeep stolen, but got it back 2 days later. hope you see your's again!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would like to tell you it not possible for a key from another toyota to fit and work in your truck, but it is. Many toyota keys will work in other toyota vehicles and theres not much you can do. It would probably be a good idea to install a kill switch on your truck so this can`t happen to you again. You are very lucky to get your truck back, and in one piece.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Well we've only had it for 6 weeks...dont have a hidakey. I'd heard that keys work in other toyotas, but we've for kicks tried from my husbands 92 in every one we've ever seen and never had it work. I can't imagine it's that common. Is that ALL toyota keys? Or just the 4runner one's?

Ok, so here's the more creepy part. I had a sub in the back, and of course that's gone. The back glass was really, really dark, so I don't think that's why it was stolen, and it was also broad daylight. Like 5 pm. When we found it, they did not even try to take out my actual stereo...just took the face plate so I couldn't use it either. And...and here's the fun part...they put a creepy message written on the dirt of my back driver cargo window. Instead of "wash me" they put "I love you" with a happy little smiley face. Ew.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Oh...and they took my garage opener and my registration was clearly examined. So...they have my address. My garage opener is unplugged as of now.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

My old key works in several other ignitions, including at least 2 other members' on this forum.

I've since changed my ignition cylinder for reasons unrelated to theft, but none-the-less, the new key does not work the same way (in other peoples rides). So I'm assuming they keys sometime just get worn funny to where its close enough to several different plunger/pin combinations.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:54 PM

that is really creepy and the key thing is also the same with gm i know gm only has like 9 different key disgns or some small number like that!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM

thats scary man.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Well, I guess that's something else anyway. Maybe there's some guy in Salt Lake who drives a toyota product and for kicks thought he'd take my really crappy slow as hell rusty truck and go for a ride with it. And he loves me. I do seem to make friends easily.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:59 PM

So is a worn funny key the only other possibility? Is there a way to get it started from under the hood and maybe a manual disengagement of the steering wheel?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you know the person you bought it from ? it sounds like someone knows the truck. either they had a hide a key on it that you didn't know of or they still had a key.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Oh man, I'd feel so violated. Did the cops get to see it & look for fingerprints? Where'd it 'show up'? Time to invest in some security cams + DVR?

Almost seems like someone you know who's messing with you: has key, not trying to steal much, but making your stereo useless, making you worry about the garage, writing stalkerish message. Who'd you buy it from? Maybe it's an enemy of the PO?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried my key in a few other 'yotas, mostly ones in junkyards and the like, so far I haven't found a single one my key works in other than my truck, but I do recall hearing that there were only a very small number of different ones cut. The best part is the key that came with my truck was a copy. Right now for security I am enjoying the benefits of having the rear axle about 100 miles away from where the truck itself is, though she'll be getting a few kill switches and various other odds and ends for security down the line.

Sounds like time to invest in one of those electrified steering wheels.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I can start my truck with a nickel, penny, dime, etc.
My friend can unlock the doors and start it with his gas-cap key..
Old 04-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to recall someone saying somewhere that after their truck was stolen, they could only start it with a flathead screwdriver.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by monizuki
Well we've only had it for 6 weeks...dont have a hidakey. I'd heard that keys work in other toyotas, but we've for kicks tried from my husbands 92 in every one we've ever seen and never had it work. I can't imagine it's that common. Is that ALL toyota keys? Or just the 4runner one's?

Ok, so here's the more creepy part. I had a sub in the back, and of course that's gone. The back glass was really, really dark, so I don't think that's why it was stolen, and it was also broad daylight. Like 5 pm. When we found it, they did not even try to take out my actual stereo...just took the face plate so I couldn't use it either. And...and here's the fun part...they put a creepy message written on the dirt of my back driver cargo window. Instead of "wash me" they put "I love you" with a happy little smiley face. Ew.
Jesus that sounds very creepy.. sounds like u have a very unwanted admirer..If you dont carry a hand gun I think I would start if I were you...Too many crazy people in this world..Smith &Wesson never far from me..
Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
I would like to tell you it not possible for a key from another toyota to fit and work in your truck, but it is. Many toyota keys will work in other toyota vehicles and theres not much you can do. It would probably be a good idea to install a kill switch on your truck so this can`t happen to you again. You are very lucky to get your truck back, and in one piece.
I know this for a fact to be true. I had 2 pickups a 1989 and a 1990 i could could the 89 key in the 90 but not the other way around.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I neglected to mention i started my truck with a 83' toyotas key.. And a 92' corolla key..

Quick Reply: So you want to steal a 93 runner...