Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So my buddy just got a Surf...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my buddy just got a Surf...

A friend of mine that lives in the Bahamas just got a Surf 3.0TD and wants some help building it up a bit. I wish I knew more about 2nd gens but I know very little. From lurking around and searching here and there this is what I have come up with as far as a list of things for him to get. He wants it bigger, more agressive looking and ready for sand. He is stuck on an Island and is starting a company that will require him to be on the beach a fair amount so I'm trying to take that into consideration. Here is the list of things I found... please let me know what you think. Is there a better/cheaper way to go as far as lift? He has some money to spend but doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Some pics from him picking it up (I know how you guys have to have them...)

My List so far...

1. ARB Snorkel
2. Suspension Lift:
This is where I don't have much experience at all. I do like my OME setup and I have read the BJSpacers to get are the SDORI ones so I was thinking this one from TRDPs4U...
http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER....aspx?MakeID=1
3. Body Lift:
Is there any reason not to go 2"? Is 3" possible? This thing isn't going to be seeing any sort of altitude so why not...? Plus he is thinking some big tires b/c you want a big contact patch in the sand.
Bumper:
TJM T-15 from Steve...
Rack:
It doesn't look like it came with the factory rack, so I guess he has to go all out and get a full rack system to get a basket? I have loved my Yakima setup so I was going to steer him in that direction...
Wheels:
Again, some help would be great here. He wants something extremely wide, 12" even... Would that be even possible? Again, this truck isn't going to be doing any sort of rocks, its just going to be sand and around the isle type stuff. I was thinking something like this? Would the backspacing work out? I was reading someone with 3.5" backspacing had his stick out 3" so I would think this would be ok...?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Ro...pn=PCW152-5283
Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Ditch the running boards and then send it to me

Those are nice rims!

Congrats to your friend, great find.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a list of things that look smashing on a Surf:
Factory Flares
2-4" OME Suspension Lift OR Factory Adjustable Suspension (soft - hard)
ARB Armour
Factory Roof Rack

But for more info visit www.Hiluxsurf.co.uk i am also a member there and it would be the best place to see what a Surf can look like and do.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice that its RH drive too, so many cars in the Bahamas are from the States, and since they drive on the wrong side of the road in the Bahamas, its a BEATCH... I wonder if he can convert that diesel to run on cod-liver-oil ?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:40 AM

I'm in the Bahamas too. Is your buddy in Nassau??
Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

I'm in Belize and they mostly have Diesel 4Runner's instead of Hilux Surf's. with the rare occasion. But i know we do import some neat vehicles from the Bahamas and they certainly are different. like the 4 door powerstroke ranger...or the wierd Hundyi(spelling?) trucks they call a 1 ton. We even have 1 ton pick-ups from the Bahamas. But i recommend again to go to www.hiluxsurf.co.uk makes the world of difference for diesel Toyota information.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Very nice rig he has there, but I would think that duty to get the pieces that your are talking about is going to be HIGH. I hope he's prepared for that.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

check out the australian toyota sites, lots of diesels and beaches there.

lee
Old 05-14-2008, 05:21 PM

Old 05-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Go for a 3" body lift and a small suspension lift (1-2")

the wheels you posted will work. They will probibly stick out about 2-2.5"

Mine are 3.5" bs and stick out 3"
Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM

BJ Spacers, LC Coils, maybe the OME torsions and 33x12.50's. Or if he wants to go bigger throw a 2" BL and 35's. I wouldn't run anything wider than a 8" or maybe a 10" rim. Airing down helps just as much in sand as on anything else.

And don't get to aggressive with the tread design. Go with BFG A/Ts, TerraGraplers, DuneGraplers, or the like.

Or you could talk him into getting a LT kit

Last edited by CC_yota; 05-14-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Installing a factory rack should be no problem if he wanted to go that way since it just bolts in to the roof anyhow. If he wants to put a basket on though he might as well go with a Yakima Q system or the Thule equivilant it would yeild a stronger mount albeit with less alternate options for cross bar placement.
Good looking truck in any case. As Belize suggested www.hiluxsurf.co.uk is an excellent source of info on the 3.0TD powered trucks.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the help guys!
I'll check out the hiluxsurf site, seems promising and I have NO knowledge about the 3.0TD so that will be a huge help.

Belize,
The factory adjustable suspension, is that something he could order through the dealership?

4 door powerstroke ranger...--- WHAT?

MRZ,
haha, I'll have to see about that cod-oil mod. Sounds good to me!

blarchitect,
he is! He used to have a modded Silver US spec Jetta. Don't know if you have seen it around...?

breknraj,
he is... he imported his Jetta about a year ago but unfortunately it is now RIP from the bridge that goes over to paradise isle...

CC,
LT Kit? Sorry for not knowing the 2nd gen stuff...? Has anyone used the kit from TRDP4U? Thats basically what you listed isn't it? Though, some used LC coils would probably be much cheaper in terms of duty. I'll let him know about sticking to ATs...
Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 AM

"Blessed Things" on Harold Road have some Surfs like your mates, if he needs parts. I don't recall seeing the Jetta in our blooming traffic queues.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 AM

He crashed on PI bridge! I missed that!!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yes he should be able to order the factory adjustable suspension. i know you can in the UK so why not there?
I said the same thing about the 4 door ranger powerstroke! it was crazy!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Yup, he was behind a car and there was another car next to him in the other lane (actually creeping into his lane) and the car in front swerved to miss a huge log and he had no-where to go. The "Jet" was lowered and when he hit it, it wrenched the wheel and he slammed into the wall then bounced off into the car next to him. Next time you go over (i believe its near the top) you can see where the rim went up the side and came down. He is LUCKY he didn't go over the side... Crazy stuff...

Old 05-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
Thanks for all the help guys!
I'll check out the hiluxsurf site, seems promising and I have NO knowledge about the 3.0TD so that will be a huge help.

4 door powerstroke ranger...--- WHAT?
Re-badged 4 door Mazda pick-up with diesel engine. Not sold in NA market.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Go for a 3" body lift and a small suspension lift (1-2")
whats the difference between a body lift and a suspension lift. i mean, i obviously know a suspension lift is done by suspension. and does the body lift metal spacers between the leafs and the axel? those wont do for me. ty in advance.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B4Runner
whats the difference between a body lift and a suspension lift. i mean, i obviously know a suspension lift is done by suspension. and does the body lift metal spacers between the leafs and the axel? those wont do for me. ty in advance.

http://www.off-road.com/offroad/arti....jsp?id=285523

Quick Reply: So my buddy just got a Surf...