Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

smt6 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smt6 2nd gen

I have been enjoying the recent thread about 2nd gen afm mods, and been reading past posts, there are a lot of great ideas! I remember that weasy2k told me about the perfectpower smt6 when I had the cams done. I searched for smt6 in the 2nd gen forum and only a small number of posts came up,
is anybody currently running an smt6 on their 2nd gen successfully?
I tried searching for smt7 in the 2nd gen forum and all that came up was an unhappy 2nd gen owner selling his smt7 because it didn't seem to be compatible with our vehicle, so I will not pursue that route.

thanks for any info on smt6 2nd gen current users! (just to keep the thread focused on that).
If I have missed a major thread on this in the 2nd gen forum I apologize for that!
tw
Old 04-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump for smt6 2nd gen users, any out there?
PS maybe I should move this to the newbie section as I am a completely newbie with these programmable AFMs. This post is just trying to make sense of what is out there.
I was getting my hopes up for the smt6 or arc2 but now not sure what to think. I obviously have a lot more reading to do

this post is for the 22r but I think the AFMs in the 3vze are kind of related?

FWIW I found this post on another forum, it lists 3 possibilities for replacing an AFM...

Re: Defeating/bypass stock ecm fuel cut
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »
"The issue with virtually all of the piggy back systems is a very non-standard voltage for its AFM signal. Most modern EFI systems use sensor voltages in the 0V-5V range.

Once, long ago, I tried to use a product (made by Link systems of New Zealand) that eliminated the AFM and replaced it with a user-programmable MAP sensor. Unfortunately, this product operated in the 0V-5V range, and it proved to be *absolutely impossible* to get this thing to work right with the stock ECU. We tried all sorts of things, including building a small op-amp to step up the output voltage, but the gap between this device and the stock AFM signal requirement was just too weird to bridge. As a side note, this product had one of the most painful user interfaces I have ever encountered -- and I've worked in the software industry since 1995, so that's saying a lot. DO NOT WANT!

So while I have not specifically tried a SAFC, I don't have much confidence that it will work.

AFAIK, there are only three devices that will work as piggyback signal modifiers to the stock AFM voltage. They are:

1. The HKS PFC F-CON. HKS made a 22RTE-specific version of this little box, with a 22RTE ECU wiring harness and specific 22RTE chip. This unit had a single potentiometer that could be tweaked for additional fuel enrichment. You could add a fuel cut defender, and also an HKS GCC (graphic control commander?) that acted like a graphic equalizer and took that one potentiometer and divided the signal into 5 or 6 "bands" of adjustment, I believe by RPM. These are now long discontinued but still turn up from time to time on eBay.

2. The Split Second ARC2. In stock form, this device has modifies AFM signals in the range of 0V to 8V, but i believe Tim Rodda at TCR/Toyotaperformance.com had Split Second make a special version for use with the 22RE/RTE that works in the appropriate range for our vehicles. See Split Second or toyotaperformance.com for more info".

NOTE- CRYMSON HAD BAD LUCK WITH THIS ONE- "I've tried this with a 5MGE supra afm and although there is some power gains, you need a decent fuel controller to make it work correctly. With a Split Second ARC2 unit I could not dial in the unit to run perfectly with the 3vze. The engine would either be too rich at part throttle or too lean at full throttle, if you don't mind killing your non-existant gas mileage than thats not really an issue. In order to get the 5M afm to run correctly the idle air adjustment on the afm must be drilled out and adjusted, spring tension must be played with, and you need to turn up the idle speed at the throttle body. I did try to swap the 3vze trace board but something didn't work out, I believe it didn't bolt in to the unit, only one screw mounted up. To get the 5M AFM to work like an OEM unit you'll have to use a programmable engine management system like the SMT6".

3. The Perfect Power SMT6 (NOT the newer SMT7). This is a loved/hated little box that purports to allow you to do all sorts of wonderful things, including modify AFM signal voltages in a range from 0V to 10V, and gives you a generous 128 cell table to do it in, which is a generous amount of resolution. It also has a second table that allows you to control an additional injector. Unfortunately, the device has a "meh" reputation for quality control, and is reputed to have some power issues, shutting off unexpectedly, etc. The newer SMT7 addresses these and other issues, but it operates in the more standard 0V-6V range, IIRC -- well, it's either 0V-5V or 0V-6V, but certainly NOT the necessary 9V.

Last edited by taikowaza; 04-29-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
subscribing.