Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Smoke from exhaust?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke from exhaust?

Hey yall,
Just bought my first Toyota over the weekend. Got me a 1992 4wd pickup with the 22re. I really like the truck, runs great, shifts good, just sounds like a weedeater. The county I got it from doesn't require emissions so the fella that had it before me has a piece of galvanized pipe instead of a converter. Which leads me to my question, would this cause any smoke from the exhaust? It's mainly just when it first starts and is warming up which I know can be normal, but it sometimes lasts for 5-10 minutes. To be honest I can't tell if it's blue or white smoke, maybe I'm colorblind haha. I know a blown head gasket can cause smoke, but the radiator isn't bubbling and the smoke doesn't smell sweet. I was thinking that maybe without the cat converter on it, it is just taking longer to warm up, and that's why the smoke is maybe taking a bit to go away?
I am not that mechanically inclined, and though I intend to go to school for it soon, it's just not my thing right now. So any advice please dumb it down for me.
Thanks in advance for any replies,
Jake
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Jake, first of all welcome post some pics of this sweet rig you speak of...

I don't think not having a cat will cause you to smoke, does it have a muff or is it straight pipe all the way?? Could be valve seals that are really bad causing it to smoke at warm up.

How's the maintenance? Plugs wires distributor cap rotor etc?

Sometimes the best way to tell on the color of the smoke is at night with some light on it, for me anyway.

Check the coolant and see if its milky at all, Pcv valve ok?

Oil look clean? How many miles?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Jake, first of all welcome post some pics of this sweet rig you speak of...

I don't think not having a cat will cause you to smoke, does it have a muff or is it straight pipe all the way?? Could be valve seals that are really bad causing it to smoke at warm up.

How's the maintenance? Plugs wires distributor cap rotor etc?

Sometimes the best way to tell on the color of the smoke is at night with some light on it, for me anyway.

Check the coolant and see if its milky at all, Pcv valve ok?

Oil look clean? How many miles?
It has a muffler, with a nice hole in the front. I actually was thinking about the seals, but don't know if that's in my ability to replace. And since this is my daily driver I don't wanna risk jumping into something that would take me forever to get done. I know the seals themselves aren't expensive, but any idea on what it would cost to get a shop to put new ones in?

I plan on doing a tune up this weekend. Atleast the plugs and wires, how can I check the cap? Probably a new air filter too, I cleaned the old one best I could but a new one can't hurt.

I drained the radiator and ran a hose through it, and filled it back up with antifreeze, but the old didn't look too bad.

Also just changed the oil and filter today.

I also have an exhaust leak, in addition to the one on the muffler, up by the manifold/down pipe. Is this a common spot for these trucks? I've seen a few posts on various sites that sound about in the same location. I was thinking about a set of headers in the next month or two. This is my first 4 cylinder, would those give it just a little more pep at highway speeds? Like I said, I'm ignorant when it comes to vehicles.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM

Here's the only picture I have of it, snapped the day I got it. Any ideas where I can buy the two corner/marker lights or a tail light lense pretty cheap? I don't need the assembly, just the lens.
Attached Thumbnails Smoke from exhaust?-cam00231.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to YT... Nice lil truck... I bet chef tunes in on this one it's red. Lol...

Anyways if say you need valve seals. There not to bad to change with the right tools. I do my own work so I can't quote a garage price.

Header: yeah there nice. I'm running a Doug Thorley TriY and I love it. Don't buy that cheap one off eBay. There useless as tits on a bore hog.

As far as lights... Hit up eBay. I buy all my lights there fit amazing prices.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 PM

welcome to YT. does it smoke when you rev it up or just at idle or does it blow smoke after the rev it up.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SHINE RUNNER
welcome to YT. does it smoke when you rev it up or just at idle or does it blow smoke after the rev it up.
Little bit of both, at idle until its warm, or when revved up it will. After I get it good and going it doesn't seem to do it hardly at all. This sound like the seals?

As far as the headers, I found a set for around $400 from Trail Gear. They have a pretty good product? Also, the full size headers lean more towards highway speeds than the shortys right? Or do I have that backwards?

Thanks again for all the help yall.

And I'll have to take a look on eBay for those lights too.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a problem I had. 22re. I replaced my headgasket, but didn't torque down the head bolts to what I've been told is a "proper" 110 ft lb. On start up until my temp gauge hit the center, I'd blow very light white/gray smoke. I was told this was due to my head bolts not being torqued properly. Retorqued them, no more smoke.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:39 PM

Finally had a day off and had some time to fool around with the truck. Tune up is done, other than plugs because I want to get this problem taken care of first. Here's what I've realized about the smoke:
Smokes for just a minute when started.
Smokes at higher RPMs.
and I couldnt tell very good but it looks like when letting of the gas on the interstate it puffs a little out.
It is also losing quite a bit of oil.

Now does this sound like seals? Also are valve stem seals and valve guide seals the same thing? If not which is more likely causing my problem?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:16 PM

Anyone?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by old fart
Sounds like a problem I had. 22re. I replaced my headgasket, but didn't torque down the head bolts to what I've been told is a "proper" 110 ft lb. On start up until my temp gauge hit the center, I'd blow very light white/gray smoke. I was told this was due to my head bolts not being torqued properly. Retorqued them, no more smoke.
I wonder if that's my problem? Any other symptoms to look for? and how difficult would it be for me to retorque them?

Also my small exhaust leak on the front of my muffler, has turned into the whole side blowing out, could that cause any smoke?