86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Slow Truck Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow Truck Rebuild

I've been searching, and getting some great ideas from this website! I'm just digging a little deeper to see if the vast knowledge of folks on this website have a little more insight. I just put a new Jasper engine in my truck and am going to continue replacing parts here and there as I intend to keep this truck "forever". Now that my engine is in and running great I am moving on to suspension. The kid that owned the truck before me had a 6 inch body life on the truck. I have since brought the truck down to its original height and now I want to replace the front end components. I have looked at getting the Moog Steering Rebuild Kit, as well as replace the idler and pitman arms. Ill also do wheel bearings and cv boots while I am at it too. Is there anything I am missing as far as the front end goes? Also when it comes to the parts, I say I am going with Moog because I can get it all in a nice little kit. By no means do I do rock crawling, wheelie popping, car jumping stunts in my truck...I use it to hunt, fish, and drive down some back country trails to go kayaking. Is the Moog kit overkill and should I stick with department store parts? I appreciate the input and advice!
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If it was me I would not put any Moog parts on my truck unless it was going with a load of scrap .

Moog quality has gone really down hill .Not like the days when they were the go to people .

You don`t say what year Go Toyota if at all possible unless forever means the end of 2016
Old 11-29-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 --- >>> Go OEM / Toyota parts for Tie Rods, ball joints, etc

Dont "replace" the boots on the CV unless they are cracked or ripped.
If you have manual hubs, the axles rarely spin
Old 11-29-2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If it was me I would not put any Moog parts on my truck unless it was going with a load of scrap .

Moog quality has gone really down hill .Not like the days when they were the go to people .

You don`t say what year Go Toyota if at all possible unless forever means the end of 2016
My truck is a 93 model. Thinking I'll get the Toyota parts and skip after market.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Do you have a reason to replace all these parts? Or are you just bored? I'm all for preventative maintenance, and by all means you should get under there to see if anything seems a little loose for your liking, but if it isn't broken it will probably be worth it to wait.

IF your half-shaft boots are bad (about the only failure mode I know of is a complete crack/tear), consider just replacing the half-shaft with a rebuilt unit. Since the most likely boot to crack/tear is the outer, and the outer comes off over the inner end, you end up replacing both. The price of a pair of boots alone is really close to the cost of a rebuilt. You need a special tool to attach the clamp, there are two types, and which ever type of tool you get, the clamps that come with the boot will be the other type. Last, replacing the boots is a disgustingly greasy, fiddly, job. I've done it three times on various trucks, and I won't do it a fourth time.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 AM

Visually inspecting the front end, the rubber pieces on the tie rod ends are in pretty poor condition(cracked or torn). My CV boots look good so I will follow your advice and leave them alone. I also have a pretty bad wobble/sway when I drive. I know this could be from an out of balance tire or a flat spot on a tire, but I have new tires on the way. But, mostly my reason is because of the condition of the tie rod ends.