Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

sleeping platform finished! many pix

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sleeping platform finished! lotsa pix (server willing!)

Here's my most recent mod -- a sturdy sleeping platform suitable for two plus gear. The structure is out of 3/4" CDX plywood, and the carpet is boat carpet that is glued and stapled down (staples for the large areas, and glued around the edges). The platform top is screwed to its supports with pre-tapped 3" gold deck screws. The vertical supports are bracketed together at most 90° junctures using 4" steel brackets. At each corner the platform has a smaller compartment with a removeable lid, and in the middle close to the cab, I did one larger lid on a piano hinge. All use spray-painted 2" flush-mount barn door-style rings for pulls. I painted three coats of polyurethane on the bottom exposed faces and edges of all the wood, in case of an inadvertent flood. I tested it out last night (just sleeping, no flood) and everything worked like a champ. On to the pictures.

Full rear view showing tub storage and two side compartments suitable for 7-gal water jugs or a stove and other gear in the absence of a lot of water.

A closer view. I used spring-loaded closures to hold the lids down. It looked a little unfinished with unpainted edges, so I used black acrylic paint on the cut edges and undersides of the lids. The hardware arrived as bright zinc so I spray-painted it matte black.

A view showing the rear half of the underside. The larger middle compartments are about 36" deep, and due to the rear humps the rear side compartments are in the 22" range.

The cab-side center compartment with the piano hinge spans the center support; one half provides ample room for two ammo boxes in front, and about the same amount aft of them. I stuffed a sleeping bag in there yesterday.

The other side holds the 800-Watt inverter and provides over two cubic feet of volume for goodies. And next to that is the Optima d34M battery in its own compartment. At the other front corner is a similar compartment which I sealed with clear caulk to protect the contents from water.

The deep-cycle battery powers a pair of aux 12V sockets (one on the platform, the other mounted in the driver-side stow compartment which makes it convenient for the Peltier fridge). The deep-cycle powers the inverter, and that is wired to a pair of flush-mount 120V outlets.

The deep-cycle is bridged to the Optima Red-Top starter battery via a Painless brand dual battery control system, which I mounted under the hood near the charcoal canister. Here's the switch for it. Now is a good opportunity to rework ugly switches. I moved my fog light switch, which previously lived lower down, got in the way, and looked ill-conceived.

I needed some more tie-downs, so I installed two self-stowing flush-mount tie-downs designed for rail-top mounting. I had to bend the wings out in a vise to fit under the platform top, but they work great.

So, how's all this make me feel? Great! I used it last night in the wind, rain, ice and snow at 9,500 feet and it worked quite well. I definitely will be getting a 3" memory-foam mattress to put on top, but for now it did OK with a thermarest.

Finally, here's a simplified version of the drawing I did for guidance. I'm happy to say that with one exception I had no serious DOH moments, so I'm pleased.

Here's a parts list.

3 - 4x8 CDX 3/4" plywood (or buy higher grade and not have to sand as much)
1 - 1x2 #1 pine (8' length)
20 - 4" steel brackets
1 - box (100 pcs or so) of 1.75" 1/4-20 bolts, with nuts to match
40~50 3" deck screws
1 - pt polyurethane sealer
1 - qt black acrylic paint
1 - 5x6 feet boat carpet (i chose gray to match the cab interior)
1 - can 3M "90" spray adhesive
1 - 30" piano hinge (should have screws, but consider replacing with larger)
8 - spring latches (should come with screws)
2 - medium plastic tubs (appx dims 16w x 34d x 6h)
2 - large screw eyes to bungee in the plastic tubs
1 - adjustable bungee
1 - flush-mount 120V outlet
2 - flush-mount 12V sockets
various 10ga wires

A few gotchas you may want to keep in mind:
1) Putting in the larger top piece of plywood necessitated lifting the topper off the rail a bit to slide it in. The smaller top piece went in fine and could rotate.

2) Paint the edges of the lids, at a minimum, and consider painting the top as at least an outline so that once you cut the carpet, the seam won't show bright new plywood.

3) Ventilate very well when you use the spray adhesive, and if you get the 3M "90" adhesive, be aware it has a line-shaped dispersion pattern, which you can adjust at 90° or 0° depending on your needs.

4) If you'll be adding an aux battery, don't just measure the battery itself, but consider the bracketry and cables as well. I had to expand the compartment an inch after discovering that.

5) I used large cardboard pieces to pattern the wheel well humps prior to cutting out the far right and left edge supports. You may want to do straighter cuts to save wood. I used a jigsaw and cut them out fairly accurately.

6) Diagram out your bed corrugations or suffer the wrath of a creaking foundation. It turns out that half of my supports were 1/4" longer than the others due to resting on the actual bed rather than on top of a corrugation.

7) I had to remove two of the four cabside tie-downs. The platform simply wouldn't go in with the lower ones present.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. There are other pages to the machine drawing, so if anyone has this same model year and wants more detail, just ask and I'll send the Visio.

Last edited by photoleif; 04-16-2006 at 07:43 PM. Reason: fixed img link, grammar and added a few more details
Old 04-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

i really like the removable panel idea. Plus the invertor and battery are super slick. Its a nice clean look. keep up the good work
Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

thanks! i still have to figure out where to put the tie-down anchors for the water jugs to maximize the mechanical advantage, but largely it's done. i'll finish the dual-batt setup shortly, though the platform has juice now.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Pics are a no show for me.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

sorry corey. my website burped. check back for pix in a few.....
Old 04-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

2nd that on the pictures.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

sorry. my host is REALLY frustrating me at the moment. i'll bump the thread back up when my host gets their $#!^ straight.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:21 PM

Looking foreword to it.....
Old 04-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Contributing Member

ok thanks for your patience folks. my host has completed the work on their backbone connection, and i think the pix are fine now.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:53 AM

Nice work. I like it.

Roy
Old 04-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Pics are here!
Looks great man.

Should be very nice for getting away for the weekend and having an area to retire to at the end of the night.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Great job. It makes me want to add carpeting to my platform.

Troy
Old 04-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

very nice work, neat and tidy! im in the process of designing and building mine presently. unfortunately, i dont have the luxury of a full bed as i require the rear seats from time to time. i may have to 'borrow' a couple of your ideas to suit my applications!

lee
Old 04-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by troy65
It makes me want to add carpeting to my platform.
i used boat carpet from lowe's. it comes in a perfect 6-foot width and i hardly trimmed anything. if you do go this route, 3M type "90" spray adhesive is da bomb. it's a bit more expensive but really sticks. i tried some dap general-use spray adhesive initially and already had some peel-back in certain areas. just go with the good stuff.

Originally Posted by leebee
very nice work, neat and tidy! im in the process of designing and building mine presently. unfortunately, i dont have the luxury of a full bed as i require the rear seats from time to time. i may have to 'borrow' a couple of your ideas to suit my applications!
if you need more detail in any areas just let me know. the one drawing was one page of five that i had info on -- since i don't yet have a table saw, i went to HD with a list of cuts and cut diagrams for the guy. we just ripped and cross-cut for half an hour and it all turned out exactly right. it was dang slick.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:22 AM

Looks great. I wish I had done carpet on the platform we built in the back of my 95 runner. Looked ugly after a while.

Couple of things... Next time how about a blond camo bikini clad model???

Is the painless system setup to charge a starting and a deep cycle at the same time? I only ask because we had a starting and a deep cycle in our chevy P/U and one of them, dont remember which, kept boiling over from over charge due to differnent rates. I know optimas cant boil over but not sure about the side affects of overcharging them? We didn't have a kit like the painless on though, they were simply tied together with a HD contunious duty solenoid hooked to an oil pressure switch.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks cozy! It's encouraging to see how functional the bed of a Toyota can be...mine is still just bare, and it's largely useless to me unless I'm hauling something large.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4nala
Couple of things... Next time how about a blond camo bikini clad model???
haha don't think my wife would go for either (being, or allowing), but i'll see what we can do.

Originally Posted by 4x4nala
Is the painless system setup to charge a starting and a deep cycle at the same time? I know optimas cant boil over but not sure about the side affects of overcharging them? We didn't have a kit like the painless on though, they were simply tied together with a HD contunious duty solenoid hooked to an oil pressure switch.
they do look like they have different charging rates, but that they were pretty robust in terms of taking that. there is some mention in the painless instructions about balancing. if anyone has more info please feel free to chime in. i wouldn't want to risk damage to the battery, or to my junk if i made a poor choice in these two batteries.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by photoleif
haha don't think my wife would go for either (being, or allowing), but i'll see what we can do.

ya, I could get my wife to pose, but would be sleeping in the truck for a LONG time if they got posted :pat:

Last edited by 4x4nala; 04-16-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Photleif,

Great job! Please email me your diagrams. I would like to do the same for my 88 longbox. I think the dimensions may be different from yours, but I'm interested in the overall plan.

TIA,

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 02-22-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: sleeping platform finished! many pix