Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Skys E-brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skys E-brake kit

Just a heads up to all the 2nd gen 4cyl 4runners out there. The skys e-brake kit doesn't work with our chain driven transfer case. I just sent them an e-mail regarding this issue due to the fact that it doesn't say anything on their web site about this. I recently purchased one and just tried to install it today with no joy.

On the up side I guess its time to start saving for a W series transmission and a gear driven T case or two.

Strait from the Skys web site

Need an E-brake? Have bad cables, or a disk brake conversion? We have the answer with our simple and affordable Toyota T-case E Brake Kit. Can be installed in under 1 hour, fully bolt on.
You do have to remove the Transfer case output flange in order to clearance the dust seal cover.
The E-brake kit reuses your stock e-brake cable up to the frame mounted e-brake arm located in front of your fuel tank.
T-case E-brake is constructed of laser cut and CNC formed 1/4 plate steel, tig welded, includes all parts you will need for installation.

+Toyota 4 cyl. 79-95 T Case E-brake kit Instructions.
Please note: 79-83 will require swapping to large 10mm bolt pattern flages.

Parts included in this kit:
1 Toyota t case e-brake bracket,
1 e-brake rotor,
1 e brake caliper,
1 extension spring,
1 e brake caliper arm,
2 adjustable yokes,
2 3/8ths fine jam nuts,
2 adjustable yokes,
2 3/8ths fine jam nuts,
1 5 ¼ long 3/8ths fine all thread,
2 3/8ths flat washers,
1 t case arm bolt 3/8ths x 2.5,
2 yoke pins,
1 cotter pin,
1 shoulder bolt,
4 10x1.25x45mm bolts,
1 10x1.25x100 bolt,
5 10mm flat washers,
5 10mm lock washers,
1 spacer for long bolt to t case.

Installation of the t case e-brake requires you remove the t case output flange and remove the dust cover to fit rotor to back side of flange.
After removing flange and dust cover install rotor to back side of flange. We use the stock drive shaft bolts to position the rotor, the rotor is tapped for 2 patterns, determine the correct pattern for your drive shaft.
Next remove 4 bolts on the back transfer case cover, these are the bottom 2 and 2 above them. There is also a 5th bolt to remove on the far outside edge of the case, use the caliper mount to determine which one if unsure. This bolt will use the included spacer. Install t case flange with rotor, then slide caliper mount and caliper up to the rotor and install new longer bolts, flat washers and lock washer. Install jam nuts to all thread, then install yoke ends to all thread. Install arm to caliper mount, position of the arm will need to be determined by the installer as to which direction the arm will point and which holes to use. You may flip the arm and use the 3 adjustable yoke holes or use the standard single hole to install on the mount. Install 2.5 x 3/8ths bolt, flat washers and locknut. It is not necessary to tighten the lock nut completely, the arm should move freely but not be loose. Install the adjustable yoke ends with all thread and jam nuts. One end will use the spring to hold the pin, the other side will use the cotter pin. The shoulder bolt will fit through the stock e brake cable eye on the end of the e-brake arm. Note: 79-83 style cable will require a loop installed with wire crimp. Final adjustment may be needed and is the responsibility of the final installer.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Ah man bummer, I hate that feeling when your all hyped about a new install in yer rig and then you find out it dont work. O well. looks like you know what to do to get-r-done.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 AM

they won't work with gear driven tcases that use the VSS either without modifying how the VSS sits or converting to cable driven. I have one of these kits still sitting in the box waiting for me to finish my 4.7 tcase which will have a MC cable - VSS converter in it so it will fit.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
I have the All Pro Offroad kit and they state that it's only for the gear driven cases with adapters available for the speedo thing. I think them and Sky's are the only ones that make such a device. Bummer dude!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Yeah I have looked around and found only the 2 have E-brake kits but on All-Pros site it states that the kit only works with gear driven cases, but on Skys it doesn't state the same the design is different as well so I figured it would work. Oh well I guess I'll add this to my little collection of parts till I can muster up some coins and swap transmissions.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey jacruz2 I can hook you up with whatever trans/transfer setup you want and just wondering you're a coastee right? If so we apreciate your service. YATYAS
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM

MSR- Thank you and yes I'm in the U.S.C.G. I plan to run a W-56 and a double transfer case but that is further down the road when I can muster up some pennies. Not sure what YATYAS means