Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Side view mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side view mirrors?

So, I am swapping my doors for some of those good old vent window equipped ones, however I have always had the idea that some of those nice old looking outrigger mirrors would look great. I know I have seen them on 4runners before, but when I try to google search them, nothing comes up aside from the boring plastic door mirrors.

I'm not even sure what they are called. The mirror sits on a pivot attached to an A-shaped bracket that bolts onto the truck door with two hinges allowing the whole thing to fold flat against the door. I know old Fords from the late 80's and early 90's used to have them, but there is no way I'm going to bolt anything from an American truck on my 'Yota.

first of all, what kind of mirrors are they? My vague descriptions don't aid in my google searching and were they ever offered on Toyotas? Or was I just lucky enough to see a few trucks rolling around that owners have modified themselves?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know what they are called but they are on my truck. I'll put a picture up today.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
When I was in the parts business years ago they were called "West Coast Mirrors" in the parts books.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 AM

I always thought that "West Coast" mirrors were inside of a "C" shaped frame. I'll have a look though.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Never seen those. I have the outrigger type but they dont fold down flat against the door.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

They were called "Camper Mirrors" IDK if you can still get them from the dealer. My old 87 had them and I had to use Ford Econoline mirror heads as replacements. IK you can get Ford assemblies pretty much anywhere and they would work with no problem. They would only be about a 1/2" larger then stock all around but they would be a little beefier in appearance.

Originally Posted by fdp101452
When I was in the parts business years ago they were called "West Coast Mirrors" in the parts books.
You're thinking about the "Jr. West Coast" mirrors that were used on some of the early 70's trucks and some later cab/chassis models converted to campers, etc.
In the 80's there was an option for "Camper Mirrors" on the Pick ups that looked like slightly smaller versions of the Ford Econoline Van Mirrors with a three dimensional "aerodynamic" profile on the front side. Ford Mirror heads were a direct bolt on replacement. The A frame was about the same size as the ford iirc. I think 87 was the last year for it. They were not very common.

They would fold flat against the door except that the hinge pts. on the A arm were pretty much seized since you hardly ever folded them back. This was a common problem with the design. You had to exercise the joint at least once every few months or you'd never move them. My 87's were corroded solid and the ford vans I drove for work at the time often had to be "helped" with WD-40 and we were folding them back at least once a week of more.

Last edited by aviator; 05-15-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM

I have a pair of these in my garage i would sell to you for pretty cheap if you want some. Pm me if you are interested
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking for the exact same kind for my project BTTF.

I bought mine from JC Whitney.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/cipa-univer...lterid=u0sv1j1

Last edited by BK2TFUTURE; 05-15-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
They were called "Camper Mirrors" IDK if you can still get them from the dealer. My old 87 had them and I had to use Ford Econoline mirror heads as replacements. IK you can get Ford assemblies pretty much anywhere and they would work with no problem. They would only be about a 1/2" larger then stock all around but they would be a little beefier in appearance.

You're thinking about the "Jr. West Coast" mirrors that were used on some of the early 70's trucks and some later cab/chassis models converted to campers, etc.
In the 80's there was an option for "Camper Mirrors" on the Pick ups that looked like slightly smaller versions of the Ford Econoline Van Mirrors with a three dimensional "aerodynamic" profile on the front side. Ford Mirror heads were a direct bolt on replacement. The A frame was about the same size as the ford iirc. I think 87 was the last year for it. They were not very common.

They would fold flat against the door except that the hinge pts. on the A arm were pretty much seized since you hardly ever folded them back. This was a common problem with the design. You had to exercise the joint at least once every few months or you'd never move them. My 87's were corroded solid and the ford vans I drove for work at the time often had to be "helped" with WD-40 and we were folding them back at least once a week of more.
You are probably right, I was in the parts business in the late 60s early 70s. By the 80s I had graduated to gunsmithing. I havent graduated from that as yet.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Well thanks for the input guys. Its made searching easier. I'll see if Crapple21 can hook me up.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Were there a difference in years? The ones I bought from JC do not line up. I have an 87. Will the originals work with mine? I'm in the market if they do. Otherwise I will have the shop do some modifications.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by BK2TFUTURE
Were there a difference in years? The ones I bought from JC do not line up. I have an 87. Will the originals work with mine? I'm in the market if they do. Otherwise I will have the shop do some modifications.
I still have the mirrors I'll sell you for pretty cheap since the ones you bought didn't line up. The ones I have are off of a 85
Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
The ones JC Whitney sells are for Broncos. They are too big for our little trucks. The ones 85 Yota showed are the right ones. Search eBay for "compact truck mirrors." You can usually find some new in box old stock ones. There's a set today,new, stainless steel, for $22. They were a dealer add on when I bought my original 4Runner. They are made to be universal to Datsuns, Toyotas, Ford Couriers, Chevy Luvs etc. Those mirrors really help if you are towing a trailer.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
The ones JC Whitney sells are for Broncos. They are too big for our little trucks. The ones 85 Yota showed are the right ones. Search eBay for "compact truck mirrors." You can usually find some new in box old stock ones. There's a set today,new, stainless steel, for $22. They were a dealer add on when I bought my original 4Runner. They are made to be universal to Datsuns, Toyotas, Ford Couriers, Chevy Luvs etc. Those mirrors really help if you are towing a trailer.
Was there a difference in the 85/87 models?

Here is a snap of the ones I got from JC:

Crappel21

What's the condition of the mirrors? PM me some pics.

Last edited by BK2TFUTURE; 06-02-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 AM

You can bend the L shaped piece of metal (the arm) to match your holes. I put mine on over a year ago. I think I used some blue tape to attach the brackets to the arm thing and bent the arm slightly to match the holes. You should be able to bend yours easily without tools. Do both sides at the same time so you can match them. If your mirrors came without gaskets between the metal bracket and the door you can cut your own from an old bicycle tube. It looks like you need to drill a couple of new holes but the bracket will cover the old unused hole. A titanium drill bit and corded drill will work great.

If you click the link below you can see my '89 with the too large mirrors last owner put on it. I got the stainless Roberk ones from eBay mentioned above and they look better.

Last edited by Nervo19; 06-03-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 AM

Sorry for hijacking this post, here is mine.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...30/index9.html

post #176

The holes are too far apart. I can match 1 and fill the rest but I need to know if there were a diff in years and if the originals (85') will bolt directly to my 87.

If this is the case I rather go that route. If not, i'll give the shop the green light to make some new holes.

Found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/713-OE-STYLE...-/200808629917

Last edited by BK2TFUTURE; 06-03-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Obviously you need to wait til you have the mirrors in hand to drill holes! As I said before, the style we are looking at is dealer installed aftermarket. There were several different manufacturers. It's not a matter of 87 or 88; it's a matter of what brand the dealer was installing. If you're trying to get ahead of the project just fill all the holes and wait for the mirrors to arrive. The big hole in the middle is for the Toyota remote mirror. My DLX had that already so I'm guessing all the doors are predrilled for the remote.

If you're going to weld the holes, get some roofing nails. They have big heads. Soak them in vinegar over night to remove the galvanizing. Clip some of the end off and place it in hole and weld.

Edit: If you're going to Bondo be sure and back the hole up with a piece of metal JB Welded or fiberglass or the Bondo will fall out.

Last edited by Nervo19; 06-03-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

That truck in the linked pics with the FJC mirrors looked interesting...
Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Yes it does

Last edited by Nervo19; 06-07-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Side view mirrors?