86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I use some lucas oil stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should I use some lucas oil stuff?

Ive got 211k on my 3vz. Ive got an oil change coming up and I got to thinkin, Should I add some of that lucas oil stabilzer to my oil?

I bearly drive and when I do its less then 20 miles each way.I do alot of in town driving. I got a case of Napa oil for really cheap so im going to use that for an oil change or 2 but should I add the lucas? My oil pressure has been a tad low but nothing extreme. No knocking, pinging or anything out of the normal about the engine.

Ive heard mixed reviews and I would like my yotatech friends advice haha.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nope. don't use it. if you ask me why, I'll have to point you at bobistheoilguy.com.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-19-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 PM

Doh, i forgot about that site. woops.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

interesting I guess it is one of those things.

I use it in the engine , transmission, transfer case, and differentials in my personal stuff.

We also run a bunch of diesel welder/generators in our rental fleet . I think the Lucas is the only thing that has keep them running long past the time they should have been majored . Then again these units often go quite far past the service hours.

I myself still change all the above fluids about once a year except for the oil which is 1500 miles for my work truck and the others on a more normal mileage like 3000 miles.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:42 AM

Lucas oil is bad news...

I put it in a 22re once and a few months later found myself replacing the engine.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow...I've been using the fuel treatment for a while now and that seems to help out. I can run a lower octane in my car and it does not ping and the truck seems a little more peppy when I use it. As for the Oil treatment I have been using in the Diff's in the truck and 4Runner and it seems to be doing fine. I have also topped off the tranny and tcase in the truck. Now I have not used it in the motor yet but was thinking about it. I'll check out Bob the oil guy...
Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm, I've been using Lucas stuff for years with no issues...
Old 09-20-2009, 06:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

That was the gist of my first post.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know about their oil stabilizer, but their gear oil was shown to be the worst product in this study:

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Ge...te%20Paper.pdf

The study was by Amsoil, and not surprisingly the Amsoil product came out on top. But - it's interesting for the comparisons of the other products relative to each other. The Lucas oil didn't meet GL-4 OR GL-5 specs, and it was horrendously corrosive to copper. Makes you wonder about their other products.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by sb5walker
I don't know about their oil stabilizer, but their gear oil was shown to be the worst product in this study:

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Ge...te%20Paper.pdf

The study was by Amsoil, and not surprisingly the Amsoil product came out on top. But - it's interesting for the comparisons of the other products relative to each other. The Lucas oil didn't meet GL-4 OR GL-5 specs, and it was horrendously corrosive to copper. Makes you wonder about their other products.

Yeah. that's like Pepsi doing a taste test between Coke and Pepsi and using its own employees for the test subjects.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I use the oil stabilizer in my truck, does help keep the oil consumption down..
but its just a band aid until i rebuild my spare motor.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:00 PM

I know a lot of ASE certified mechanics who swear by lucas products such as the oil stabilizer and fuel additive. The oil stabilizer for non-synthetic oil is supposedly particularly effective from what I hear. If you have a high mileage engine (ahem, toyota owners...) you probably have some sort of mechanical wear meaning you could use a slightly higher viscosity in your oil to take up the slack in the higher clearances. If your engine is smoking because of any number of problems and lucas reduces the smoke temporarily, then wonderful, but chances are you have a problem that needs more attention than a thicker oil. In that case, the thicker oil acts as more of a band-aid, since metal does not heal. If your engine is experiencing normal wear at higher mileage, there is a very good chance the lucas products will help your engine stay properly lubed. I swear by the stuff, and nomatter what you read on whatever forum, if it produced catastrophic failure on a regular basis, we would all know about it! I'm not saying it's the best product out there, and although I'm no lube-nerd, I'm saying that I like their stuff from personal experience.

ALSO: Lucas is NOT one of those awful 'stop smoke' or 'stop leak' products that just coat your block and moving parts with the equivalent of a slightly-less-harmful-than-caramel coating to every part of your oiling system. I would never put any of that garbage in my engine. If my head needs to be rebuilt, so be it, but to semi-permanently damage your lower end just because you are consuming some oil seems a bit fool-hearty to me. Burn that stuff blue til you can fix it like you need to!

Last edited by NYChopshop; 09-20-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
<SNIP>
My oil pressure has been a tad low <SNIP>
How do you know ?
Why in the world do you say that ?

Fred
Old 09-20-2009, 08:03 PM

This is my morning tomorrow.
Name:  SANY0128.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  137.7 KB

I have always used royal purple, but I was doing some thinking the other day. I came to the conclusion that royal purple is a good product, but did I notice a difference to Mobil 1? No. So, I bought the mobile one, and filter. The truck was put on a synthetic diet the day I got her. Quieted the engine a little. I had used Z-max engine in before and liked the results (valve cover was beatiful on the underside). So I have been using Z-max for a while, well, I added it on top of the royal purple when I did the initial change, and what do you know, engine purrs. So, these are my methods, and the things that have done me right.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
How do you know ?
Why in the world do you say that ?

Fred
Im just going from the gauge but ive heard they have been off. Its still in spec but its at the low end for spec.

I dont think im going to be putting this in with my next oil change by the way.