Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ShortMag's 22re Rebuild.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShortMag's 22re Rebuild.

As the title says this is my rebuild thread for my 22re.

This build will probably be pretty slow due to low funds and this is my first rebuild so i'm trying to learn as much as possible while i go.

A little history on the engine:

It has 290,000 plus miles. It's out of an '86 4runner that i bought a few days ago. The previous owner said it has a cracked head and was leaking coolant into one of the cylinders. I pulled the plugs the day i got it, cranked her, and water shot out of the second cylinder. At that point I was not expecting to like what I was going to find once i dug a little deeper.

Over the past couple days i've been pulling and labeling hoses and plugs. Yesterday I pulled off the throttle body and today i got the head off. As i was expecting, i didn't really like what i saw.

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Once I pull the block out I'm going to take it to the local machine shop, Macon Motorsports, to see what they have to say. If he thinks i can get by with just a hone then i will, but i'm not counting on that being the case. If i end up needing to bore then I plan on boring out .030 and getting the Engnbldr master rebuild kit (I'm open to other suggestions on bore and kits). As for the head, I plan on getting the engnbldr stock head with the Crawler cam.

Here are a few more snapshots of my work.

More to come when I get an engine hoist.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:58 PM

This all looks familer.LOL When I pulled my engine I did it like your doing it I took the head off with the engine in the truck then pulled the block out with a hoist, I used two old head bolts and hooked the chain to them.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't waste your time on a stock head if your going to do the full rebuild go with the head with the oversize valves and the 268 cam and a header other wise you will get it all done and find that you should have done them when you had the chance.It's that little bit more H.P. that will make you that much more happy and regear for your tire size.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by 854x4
This all looks familer.LOL When I pulled my engine I did it like your doing it I took the head off with the engine in the truck then pulled the block out with a hoist, I used two old head bolts and hooked the chain to them.
That's exactly what i'm doing. Was it really off balance when you pulled it out, or did you find the right placement for the bolts so that it wasn't off balance?

Originally Posted by olharleyman
Don't waste your time on a stock head if your going to do the full rebuild go with the head with the oversize valves and the 268 cam and a header other wise you will get it all done and find that you should have done them when you had the chance.It's that little bit more H.P. that will make you that much more happy and regear for your tire size.
Thanks olharleyman. Is the 268 better for wheeling? Cause that's pretty much all i will be doing. I've heard that the Crawler cam is great for the whole power band of the engine.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the 268 and I use mine as a DD as well as play. I think if I were to use this just for play I would have gone to the 261. The 268 comes off Idle well and runs through 4k alright (I don't like to go overt that) The 261 gets a bit more at lower r's and comes off Idle better I believe.
I remember seeing a thread on these cam's and it gave the info for hp and rpm range. I just have to find it. Go to engeblder they'll help you out.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 PM

I'll probably have to drive this rig to wherever i'm wheeling, but it won't be a dd. I think I'll go with the 261.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ShortMag
That's exactly what i'm doing. Was it really off balance when you pulled it out, or did you find the right placement for the bolts so that it wasn't off balance?
I think I put one bolt in the last hole on the driver side and one bolt in the first hole on the passenger side. It didnt seem off balance to me but I have a load leverer and my dad helped me.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Rain, rain go away.

No progress today
Old 07-31-2009, 03:08 PM

Getting an engine hoist tonight. Block will be out tonight or tomorrow afternoon.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

we got a little more done tonight. more hoses and plugs removed and labeled, hope to have this thing out this weekend.

only one pic, but we got an engine lift from the guy chopped off the right side of this pic, so tomorrow there's a chance. sorry for the crappyness of the pic. phone doesn't do well in low light situations.

nice seat there, bro!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
honestly, i wish i would have gone with the 268cam...and i might still do that..im thinkin maybe i can just swap out cams without having to do a headgasket..the 261* is great no doubt for low rpm grunt....but i've come to realize that ima have to use this truck through college..and on longer road trips..where i would have needed the extra grunt at the top end..lol..

my 261* lets off at about 3200rpms...(of course my carb is fubarred and needs to be rebuilt...so i might LOVE the cam once that gets done)..

i've noticed it gets to speed ALOT faster now though...i can go from 0-60 in a fairly short amount of time (on flat ground)..now its no turbo'd civic or something but it gets the job done FOR NOW...

i think im going to HAVE to re_gear eventually...and if and when i do, I'll go 4.88's because i WILL bump up to 33's within a few years..lol..

i've heard with the 22re's the gains are nice..i still dont see how ya'll can hold 70-75 easily with 31" tires.....i can MAYBE hold 68 or so..i think its the carb though..

but anyways..YES get the OS valve head and the 268 cam..you wont be sorry..or the 261..or ooooo hey how bout the 270/430..lmao
Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 PM

My dd is a civic no turbo though, which = SLOW. 31mpg's makes up for it in the end.

I'll have to do some more research on the cams to find out which one will be best suited for my app. Engnbldr has two head with the o/s valves. I'm leaning toward the Street/RV head mostly cause of price. Is the offroad head worth the extra $$$?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:28 PM

The block is out! All in all it went very smoothly, especially being my first engine to pull. I guess it's time to start disassembling everything from the block so i can take it to the machine shop. I hope to get it there early next week.

Used head bolts one and two for lift points.

Brotha' Keith!

My lonely tranny.

Update on dissasembly tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice work... keep it up!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:22 PM

The block is at the machine shop! I've been procrastinating on this project a little, but finally got back into this weekend. Here's a list of the machine work:

Block bored, honed, and cleaned.
Crank turned
Ordered a bottom end kit from the machine shop that is very similar to Engnbldr's. Brand is EngineTech.
Having piston's attached to rods and ringed.

Should be back next week.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 PM

your not going to be able to get away with just a hone...i definitely has to be bored. No reason to go 30 over if you don't have to. You'll never be able to feel the difference because its such a small number.

Sounds pretty expensive. Good luck on the build!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Cylinders were pretty rough. The guy at the machine shop said i would have to bore it so i took his advice. Not expecting any power increase, just clean cylinders.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice work man! Keep it up!
More pictures!
Old 12-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

FINALLY got the block back today... yes that's right.. 5+ weeks after it was dropped off!

Lots of "setbacks" from the machine shop, I'll let Sam explain when he gets off work tonight, and he should also have some pics.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Well Sam is out, so I'll geek the pictures for him...

yum...

had to be decked... Sam knows the figures...

Little more cleaning, some paint, and she'll be purrrrdy....

Pile-o'-stuff...

And before someone points it out, Yes, I know I have a pink folding chair and my garage is a pit.

Last edited by Exeter; 12-05-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ShortMag's 22re Rebuild.