Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shop says no alignment needed. Is it more serious?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop says no alignment needed. Is it more serious?

Thanks for everybodys input on my code 31 issue and I will be checking all that this weekend. But my mpg issue started recently. At the bottom of this post is about when this all started
I recently had to replace my calipers, rotors and pads. At the same time I took out my leaking steering box and replaced it with another that did not leak but poured. So I put in the original leaking box and after 6L of stop leak it is good enough for a couple months. Well when I first drove it, it felt like there was rolling resistance and the steering wheel felt like I was steering a canoe in high seas. So I re torqued the wheel bearing as per the instructions and replaced the idler arm noticed a little improvement in the resistance issue and the sloppy steering was no longer there.
So my problem is that my MPG have dropped since all of this from 18 - 19 mpg average over the previous 14 months to 13mpg on a good day. What I notice is that at low speeds like 30kmh (20mph) I can push in the clutch and it will coast just fine but the faster I go I almost feels as if I am pulling a trailer. At all times since the repair I have to slam the clutch pedal down fast, shift, then tap the gas a little then release the clutch for it to shift smooth. If I shift as I always did it will clunk as if I shifted way to early. When It was in the shop for safety I mentioned a front end alignment and they said that the repairs I did should not have affected my alignment and told me not to bother. So what do you think is it likely an alignment issue or is there something more serious (drivetrain, engine?)
So Im at the camp with some friends and we are driving through some rough paths and such. My friend was driving his boss's 07 z71 and I had my 91 22re sr5. He found a real rough area and got stuck for a good 10 min but got out. I thought that I would show off and do it the first try. Well I probably could have if my power steering was not empty. Anyway I drove through the swamp and then tried to get up the hill he got stuck at which makes a very sharp right halfway up. I tried in 4h first and as soon as I hit the turn the steering wheel jerks violently to the left. So I decide to back way up put it in 4L and hold as tight as I could. Well when I hit it, the wheel just about took my right arm out of socket, I could barely drive it back. The next day was when I noticed my brake problems.