86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

shock length and flex

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shock length and flex

I've been thinking about my shock length in the rear. I have 14in up front with a taller lift. 12in shocks in the rear. I used to have 14in in the rear but there was only about 2 1/2 inches of piston exposed so I put on the 12's. In the pic the rear tire is hanging and the rear shackle isn't even vertical. The front isn't flexed as much as it could be either. So I was thinking of maybe trying a 14in in the rear again to gain some down travel but I'm not so sure 2 1/2 inches of exposed piston would be good. This is a weekend wheeler rig.

Last edited by SMOD; 07-27-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2.5" isn't much travel to work with , do you have bump stops ? Are your shocks your bump stops? I made my own mounting points for my shocks so that one end of the shock was resting nearly on the axle , no wasted space. A slightly taller lift block will give you a bit more rod out . Also when my truck is fully loaded I lose about and inch of travel , so maybe try to keep it light back there ...

Ps nice truck , I have mine set up similarly
Old 07-27-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear driveline

rear 12in shocks

Rear U bolts

Rear shackle on side hanging tire

Rear tire rub on frame

Front shock

A few questions about these pics:
The tire is clearly hitting the frame on flex in the rear. And the shock is only out about 8in. Could this be what is limiting my rear flex and causing to hang the tire so much?

So my original post that the shocks were limiting the flex I don't think was right because the shock is only out about 8in.

Or maybe a 2in. block would help give me a higher lift and more flex?

There are a few other things about the 2in block lift that I'd need longer u bolts and hopefully no extension on the rear driveline (which the slip is out a little more than normal now too).

Some facts: No bumpstops, wheels 4in back spacing, front 1in wheel spacer, no wheel spacer in rear, this lift was copied from another 4runner that was running 38.5x14.50 tires with the same back spacing I believe while my tires are 37x12.50.

My front shock isn't out as much as it can go either so,
If the up travel is as high as it can go does that limit the down travel on the other side?
(Front and rear shocks show about 4in-4 1/2in when its sitting level)

EDIT: I just noticed the rear chevy 63 spring is negatively arching a bit lol. No bumpstops. I'm not too too worried about it but it does look like it has bent the second leaf down from the top one. If I were to put on bumpstops the tire wouldn't even go up into the wheel well as much and would it also give me less flex? Lmao this thing was not set up that well and I know it but it was the first thing I've ever built and I love wheelin it. I guess another option is grab another set of springs when these start to negatively arch sitting level. And I'm thinking this set up will be about the best I can get it. I just know the front end can do a lot more than the rear and wanted to try to get more flex out of it.

Last edited by SMOD; 07-27-2015 at 06:51 PM.