Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

shifter seat bushing replacement. WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
shifter seat bushing replacement. WOW!

I ran home at lunch and in the mail was my package from Marlin Crawler containing a new shifter seat and shifter socket. So I installed them in about 5 minutes and I can tell you that the difference is night and day when shifting. The old bushings were just about gone and the stick would wobble all over the place when in gear. Now it shifts like a dream.

If your shifter is sloppy do yourself a favor and spent the 17$ to get the set of bushings and replace them.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
will be ordering next friday, totally forgot about this 5 min fix..

I want some MC stickers too

Old 04-23-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really didn't notice too much. Maybe my shifter seat and socket weren't bad when I replaced mine. It's a little tighter when shifting, but nothing extremely noticeable.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM

I put mine in a week or so ago. My bushings looked decent, but it stiffended it up quite a bit. I've been meaning to take it back apart to figure out why it won't return/center itself from the far left position. If I move it to the right it jumps back instantly, but if I push the shifter left it wants to stay there for some reason. Maybe my spring is wore out?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
I put mine in a week or so ago. My bushings looked decent, but it stiffended it up quite a bit. I've been meaning to take it back apart to figure out why it won't return/center itself from the far left position. If I move it to the right it jumps back instantly, but if I push the shifter left it wants to stay there for some reason. Maybe my spring is wore out?
The bushing may have shifted a little? Mine wouldn't return worth a crap with the other bushing now it almost jumps out of my hand trying to return to center.

Pull it apart and take a look. Heck it only takes about 30 seconds to open it up.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by scuba

I put my first sticker on the runner today and yes it's a Marlin Crawler. That damn turtle is so cool I'd almost get it tattooed on me somewhere...... but needles scare the crap out of me and Marlin probably has it copy written.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
hahah, I should get it tattooed !!

but seriously, speaking of copyright, do you really think he would have a problem with a tattoo..?

I might have to call and ask..

Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinlhc
Mine does the same thing.. I guess it just gets worn in if you drive in the city alot... Mine still shifts 1000x nicer then before I put those bad boys in. Best mod ever!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
The bushing may have shifted a little? Mine wouldn't return worth a crap with the other bushing now it almost jumps out of my hand trying to return to center.

Pull it apart and take a look. Heck it only takes about 30 seconds to open it up.

Originally Posted by Jay351
Mine does the same thing.. I guess it just gets worn in if you drive in the city alot... Mine still shifts 1000x nicer then before I put those bad boys in. Best mod ever!

Junkers is a genius. I went out and took it apart to find the bushing had shifted and the slots weren't lined up anymore. Lined them up, slapped it back together and it works like I was hoping it would.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah when I did my clutch I ordered one too and it made a big difference and the one I replaced wasn't even that worn out!

Oh and I had to get the Turtle shifter for the t-case
Old 04-23-2009, 08:32 PM

Is there a write up on how to take the shifter off? Even just a picture of how it all fits together would be great. I would replace mine but I don't know how to pull it out. I am pretty savy in the shop. I just did my timing chain on my own. But i just cant figure out the shifter.

Also can someone tell me which part number to order from marlin for the truck in my sig.?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
will be ordering next friday, totally forgot about this 5 min fix..

For sure the stickers will let people know you are hardcore
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chutchman
Is there a write up on how to take the shifter off? Even just a picture of how it all fits together would be great. I would replace mine but I don't know how to pull it out. I am pretty savy in the shop. I just did my timing chain on my own. But i just cant figure out the shifter.

Also can someone tell me which part number to order from marlin for the truck in my sig.?
its very simple. pull the cover off (in your cab) .. which holds the upper boots (that you see in the cab)

then remove the lower boot (that attaches to the transmission).. just slip it up. Then push down and turn the big cup that holds the shifter. This is the only hard part. I forget which direction it needs to be turned.. but it only turns one way then it popps out with a spring... then you pull the shifter out, knock the ball off the end, replace with the new one.. then pull the reminments of the older shifter seat out.. slip in the new one. theres grooves in marlines, you put it in upside down so the grooves sit on the two knubs stickn out.. then press down on one side so it rotates into position. bam.

then put the shifter back in and press down and turn the dealio. I had to dril two small holes in mine and use a pair of long needles noses to push it down and turn it.. for some peeps it goes in easy, others (like mine) it's a b eye t see h.

overall a 1/5 difficulty rating.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now, replace the tranny fluid with Redline MT90 and the tranny will be on par with a car down at the dealership (test driving with no intention of buying is a fun way to spend an afternoon if you're bored- though they catch on after a while, especially if you're 18 at the time testing $40K cars)
Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i know that it sounds stupid, but anyone got a pic of the shifter seat bushing??

i tore mine apart the other night because the C-clip had popped off the x-case shifter base and the damn thing pulled out of the boot... anywyas, while i was there i took a look at the base of the tranny shifter and couldnt tell up from down on what i was looking for so i just buttoned her back up...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chutchman

To pull the shifter all you need is a cordless drill with an apex in it.

1) Pull the plastic piece around the shifters off.
2) Pull the 6 screws that hold the shift boot and boot retaining plate on the tranny hump.
3) Pull the shift knobs off.
4) Slide the shift boot up and off of the shifters.
5) Pull the 4 bolts that hold the shifter into the top of the tranny.
6) Pull the shifter.

Then all you have to do is remove the old bushings, replace them with the new ones and put it all back together. It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...-shifter-seats

Originally Posted by drew303
its very simple. pull the cover off (in your cab) .. which holds the upper boots (that you see in the cab)

then remove the lower boot (that attaches to the transmission).. just slip it up. Then push down and turn the big cup that holds the shifter. This is the only hard part. I forget which direction it needs to be turned.. but it only turns one way then it popps out with a spring... then you pull the shifter out, knock the ball off the end, replace with the new one.. then pull the reminments of the older shifter seat out.. slip in the new one. theres grooves in marlines, you put it in upside down so the grooves sit on the two knubs stickn out.. then press down on one side so it rotates into position. bam.

then put the shifter back in and press down and turn the dealio. I had to dril two small holes in mine and use a pair of long needles noses to push it down and turn it.. for some peeps it goes in easy, others (like mine) it's a b eye t see h.

overall a 1/5 difficulty rating.

What kind of tranny do you have??
Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did it on my friend's '89 4Runner a few years back, and I seem to remember it being exactly as drew303 described. I remember that big "cup" that held the shifter in being a bitch to get out and in also.

It's probably the reason I haven't done it on my '92 Pickup yet, unless for some reason it's gotten easier and the process is different. It's only got 97K on it, but I guess the bushings could be shot.

I'm putting MT-90 in this weekend, do you need to drop the gear oil to do the shifter bushing replacement? I can't remember. I don't want to have to drop this MT-90 back out if I do decide to do the bushing in the near future.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
I did it on my friend's '89 4Runner a few years back, and I seem to remember it being exactly as drew303 described. I remember that big "cup" that held the shifter in being a bitch to get out and in also.

It's probably the reason I haven't done it on my '92 Pickup yet, unless for some reason it's gotten easier and the process is different. It's only got 97K on it, but I guess the bushings could be shot.

I'm putting MT-90 in this weekend, do you need to drop the gear oil to do the shifter bushing replacement? I can't remember. I don't want to have to drop this MT-90 back out if I do decide to do the bushing in the near future.
Odd.

No you don't drain any of the fluid.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Junker, you didn't have to push down and spin that "cup" to get the shifter out or back in for that matter?

Hmm, I wonder if my '92 has that or not.

Anybody ever done it on a 3rd Gen pickup?

By the way my MT-90 just showed up, I only ordered it yesterday from Summit, not too bad, it's going in tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
So Junker, you didn't have to push down and spin that "cup" to get the shifter out or back in for that matter?

Hmm, I wonder if my '92 has that or not.

Anybody ever done it on a 3rd Gen pickup?

By the way my MT-90 just showed up, I only ordered it yesterday from Summit, not too bad, it's going in tomorrow.
Nope. No spin, no turn, not even a cup that I'm aware of.

Quick Reply: shifter seat bushing replacement. WOW!