Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Shifter Adjustment, 1990 4Runner, VZ/Auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Adjustment, 1990 4Runner, VZ/Auto

I replaced the trans and TC shifter bushings in my newly acquired 90 4Runner, and now the shift pin that moves when you depress the button on top of the shift handle is too far down. It does not pop up to prevent the shifter from being moved into reverse without depressing the button, and the key will not come out of the lock.

I have verified that both issues are due to the button in the shifter protruding too far down when it is installed, but not depressed - but I can't figure out how to fix it. I don't see any adjustment, and there really isn't much that can be out of place when reassembling it.

When I remove the button in the shift handle, both problems go away, just so there is not doubt about the source of the problem.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:19 AM

This is where the pin should sit. Everything works as it should when the pin is here. I have to remove the button/plunger on the top of the shifter handle to get the pin to go up into this position.
This is where the pin sits with the plunger installed. It is about 1/4" too low. In this position, the key will not come out in park, and the gear selector will go into D - N - R without pushing the plunger down.
Here is the plunger, and the tip that pushes the pin down. An easy fix would be to trim this end back ~ 1/4", but it worked before I replaced the bushings, so there has to be a way to get it to work now - I am just not seeing it...
Old 11-29-2016, 09:24 AM

Figured it out, and it was easy and apparent - once I stepped away for a bit.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:06 PM

Hhow did you fix it? I have the same problem but the button wont push t down far enough? Heck I cant even figure out how to take it apart.