Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Semi-floating conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Semi-floating conversion

Okay people, I'm not really sure where to post this thread, but I'll go with this section and moderator can move it to where it belongs if he wishes.

Now, on topic again.
I'm having concerns 'bout my rear axle. Of course, I'm extremely paranoid 'bout anything that concerns my truck, but that's another thing.

I have a 2nd gen ('93) 4Runner running 44s on 18" wide wheels. (makes alot of stress on the axles) And I've been thinkin' of converting the rear axles to full floating. I've seen kits 'bout this all around, and AFAIK, they use spindles from the front axle, I have a LC70 axle in the front, and going to widen them by putting the hubs from IFS on and putting a spacer to move the brake disc closer to the brake.
I was thinkin' can I use the spindles from this kit (I can't locate the website right now, but will post it as soon as I arrive home) and the hubs from the IFS and use the brakes from the IFS as well, then I'll just make locked hubs (flange?) to lock the axle.
Does anyone know what axleshaft I can use in the rear?

Also I've been thinkin' of using the spindles from the IFS and just cut them so they fit the rear axle and weld it in place, but then again, I still need some axles that will fit.
Note that the IFS rear axle is 3" wider than the SFA rear axle from hilux/LC70

AFAIK the only toyota Full floating rear axles are from HZJ80 and some of the 60s.
Can anyone correct me on this?

I'm having quite a brainstorming session over this. Heh. O.o

And also, if you know of any threads concerning this matter please link 'em, 'cause I have been searching google and yotatech aswell, and I can't find any useful info.

Has anyone done this? Any info is highly apreciated.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:47 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com has a kit - a lot of good pictures on their site of all the pieces too. It's in the "Brakes" section, as it also gives you rear disc brakes.

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...2382b1b5273e37

I asked Brian about making a spacer to go between the axle housing and the hub flange, and he said "sure, no problem - only thing is that you'll be at the cost of a Diamond housing pretty quick"
Old 03-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by tc
www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com has a kit - a lot of good pictures on their site of all the pieces too. It's in the "Brakes" section, as it also gives you rear disc brakes.

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...2382b1b5273e37

I asked Brian about making a spacer to go between the axle housing and the hub flange, and he said "sure, no problem - only thing is that you'll be at the cost of a Diamond housing pretty quick"
Okay, this was the website I was speakin' of, and after a closer look at this, I just figured what it was that I needed.
I only need to buy this piece that bolts the spindle to the original location of the axle shafts.

Then I can just use the original spindles from the LC70, and the hubs and rotors from the IFS 4runner, with the brake calipers from the IFS and the brake disc aswell.

Thanks for your reply.

And by the way, this link here http://www.f4x4.is/new/photoalbum/de...ite/1539/10016 shows what spacer I'm refering too. But I think I can skip that one if I use the brake calipers from the IFS as well as the brake disc.

Also, I don't really understand what you mean by putting a spacer between the axle housing and the hubs, I was only refering to, as the picture shows, between the rotors and the brake disc. (Sorry for my bad english, I'm not quite as good with the english words over some parts in this).

Last edited by ulfr; 03-17-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

you may want to contact waskilly wabbit, i think he has done a full floater on one of his rigs. lysmachia (mod) either is in the process or has done it already.

lee
Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your English is much better than my Icelandic! (and my Spanish, and certainly my Hungarian or French or German or Japanese or Russian - of which I can only say hello and thank you LOL)

Molly hasn't done it, but she needs to...I would rather not experience this again:

The spacer I mean would be between the brake caliper mount and the end of the axle housing. That would space everything out to full width, and you could use standard Landcruiser full float axles I think