86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Selectable lockers available?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Selectable lockers available?

I have a 93' pickup SR5 with an 8" diff. and the ADD hubs. Im in the market for a rear locker. Im trying to find options for a "selectable" locker. I know ARB and Grizzly make air lockers but I was wondering if anyone makes a mechanical or cable operated locker for the 8" Toyota rear differential? I know OX makes a good product but they do not make one for Toyota. Any one know of options? Ive search this site and Google and can't seem to find anything. Id be interested in an electric Locker as well but would have to find one with 5.29 gearing and I havent seen any aftermarket e-lockers for this truck. Again, if you know better than me i'd really appreciate the information. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Electric locker s that will fit your diff.
http://yotalockers.com/
Old 03-17-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could get and ARB and compressor for the same price as the Harrop. Even less this month as they are having a free compressor with locker promo. I've never had any issues with mine.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nice, thanks guys. Next question. I barely, if ever go off road. I live in New jersey where there is this thing called winter. Would a LSD be a better option in the rear then a locker since the truck will see snow/rain way more then mud/sand or dirt. Thanks.

Last edited by Remme; 03-17-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The nice thing about any selectable locker is you can turn it on, and off. Sometimes a LSD, and especially a full time locker will give you bad handling characteristics in bad weather. Basically fishtailing on slick or icy roads.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Having lived in Alaska and upstate NY go selectable if you have the $$$
Old 03-21-2017, 03:32 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Remme
nice, thanks guys. Next question. I barely, if ever go off road. I live in New jersey where there is this thing called winter. Would a LSD be a better option in the rear then a locker since the truck will see snow/rain way more then mud/sand or dirt. Thanks.

This is the Harrop e-locker you want....number 9334. Fits in the usual V6 8" 3rds and also fits the all too common 4 cyl 8" 3rds that the 22RE models have.
Also fits the front high pinion 8" from the landcruisers.
And you can get them from http://yotalockers.com as mentioned earlier. And I can put them in to high standards if you send your 3rd.
Ken
http://gearinstalls.com

Last edited by ZUK; 03-21-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Honestly, nothing is going to be much of an improvement on snowy/icy streets. As another poster stated, an LSD will make your rear-end less stable and more likely to fishtail. A locker will be even worse in that regard.
Lockers and LSD's are at their best when the wheels on opposite ends of the axle have vastly different traction, such as one wheel lifted on a trail, or one wheel in mud and the other on dry ground. On snow and ice, typically both wheels have similar traction, and an LSD/locker doesn't buy you much at all.
For your winter driving, you'll be safer with open diffs. The gains by adding a locker/LSD will be disappointing given the money you'll spend. Just put it in 4wd when the roads get slick, drive carefully, especially around corners, and you'll get everywhere 99.5% of the rest of the population can go.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:13 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Honestly, nothing is going to be much of an improvement on snowy/icy streets. As another poster stated, an LSD will make your rear-end less stable and more likely to fishtail. A locker will be even worse in that regard.
Lockers and LSD's are at their best when the wheels on opposite ends of the axle have vastly different traction, such as one wheel lifted on a trail, or one wheel in mud and the other on dry ground. On snow and ice, typically both wheels have similar traction, and an LSD/locker doesn't buy you much at all.
For your winter driving, you'll be safer with open diffs. The gains by adding a locker/LSD will be disappointing given the money you'll spend. Just put it in 4wd when the roads get slick, drive carefully, especially around corners, and you'll get everywhere 99.5% of the rest of the population can go. Put your money into a good set of winter tires instead.