Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

In search of 1986 pickup FSM (in need of torque specs)..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In search of 1986 pickup FSM (in need of torque specs)..

Hi everyone,

I found a thread on here that compiled a ton of FSMs, but I can't seem to find one that is specific to my truck (a 1986 4x4 22re Pickup). Is there some cross-compatibility that I'm missing? I know the 4runners and pickups were essentially the same, but in all the FSM threads I can find there's a gap between 1985 and 1987.. I'd love to have a copy of this.

While I'm here: I'm torqueing the cylinder head bolts. Any info on what the torque spec is on them for a 1986 22re pickup?

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
The current spec that is generally used is 65fp.

Some books show a lower spec in the 50s' as I recall, but 65fp is the real deal.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:18 PM

I got my 1986 4runner/pickup FSM recently from 4Runner House in Garland, Texas. I was confronted with the same FSM issue so it appears there is a gap for some reason. If anyone knows reason here on yotatech - I am certainly interested. I will do my best to provide the specs you need. I recently got an 86' 4Runner rebuilt engine and it grenaded on me after 2,500 miles - so I am going thru my engine as well. I would recommend checking your head bolts during your first oil change - I believe that is what killed my head gasket. Kept meaning to check them & *boom* compression loss :-( Sorry to ramble just want someone to learn from my mistake.

Remember to torque the head down in the pattern with 3 turns on each head bolt so it goes down evenly. I listed a link to the pic I took of my FSM.

I do have a question as to how you are getting the cam in right position with the #1 cylinder at TDC and the Timing Chain sprockets. Never done it before so I'm lookin' for tips and tricks on that as I can't afford to screw that part up.

Head Bolt Head Bolt Torque Spec:
58 ft-lbs

Pic from FSM with head bolt torque down pattern:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B83...ew?usp=sharing

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by e-hut7
I I would recommend checking your head bolts during your first oil change - I believe that is what killed my head gasket. Kept meaning to check them & *boom* compression loss :-( Sorry to ramble just want someone to learn from my mistake.

Head Bolt Head Bolt Torque Spec:
58 ft-lbs

Pic from FSM with head bolt torque down pattern:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B83...ew?usp=sharing

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Toyota did an update to 65 foot pounds somewhere, dont remember where the update is but it is more then 58.

As far as the head bolts, I have seen more blown head gaskets from loose head bolts. Anytime I have the valve cover off, I retorq my head bolts and I know I have saved a few head gaskets as I found some loose head bolts on others trucks but had not blown yet.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 AM

Yessir, when I broke the head bolts I could tell immediately they were not torqued down to spec - broke waaay too easy. Lesson learned. Thanks for the updated torque spec, I plan on installing the head this weekend. What was a blown head gasket turned into "well, if they screwed that up better check the piston rings" which turns out some of the compression rings were 3 times the gap limit. Also installing a LC Engineering timing chain kit while I am in there.

Question, sir:
Would you happen to know how to verify the correct position of the cam for a compression stroke on cylinder 1? I sent the head to a machine shop so all the valves are closed at the moment. I just want to be sure to avoid the piston hitting the valves after all this time and money. I have searched on here and haven't quite found an answer (admittedly, could be a bad search string or I just don't fully understand what I am reading).

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
place the locator (dowel) pins in the crank and cam at 12 o clock. this is tdc #1
Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 AM

Thanks!