86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Scrubbing wheel noise??? Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrubbing wheel noise??? Help

So the truck is an 89 with a solid front axle. I've had it a little over a year. For about nine months there has been a horrible grinding rubbing noise that sounds like it's coming from the driver side . The noise is only there when I'm moving . I've replaced the wheel bearings 3 different times now in that nine months. 2 time I did replace spindle drove 1 mile the sound was still there. Third time was yesterday I replaced the wheel hub this time cause there are signs of a spun race. Drove it about 5 miles this time. sound started again. When I do replace the bearings the sound is at higher speeds only after a month or two it's at all speeds. Last night I replaced the caliper on that side it was acting sticky on that side and not braking evenly . noise went away for probably 5 miles again. the sound is back but we are braking straight now and not pulling to the right. Could it be that i need to replace the pads and rotors as well?
The pads are uneven on that side from the bad caliper
am i headed in the right direction?
let me know what you think thanks for the help in advance!
Old 01-29-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Need more specifics on a modified rig.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:57 PM

84 front axle. 35 inch tires 5.29 gears . What else?
Old 01-29-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 93RedKrawler
84 front axle. 35 inch tires 5.29 gears . What else?
brake set up? Most run IFS calipers and LC rotors. Could be stock set up or IFS rotors and calipers.

Have you checked run run out on rotors?
clips rubbing?
have you checked fluid? Color?
flushed lines?
Is there a line-loc installed?
do all caliper pistons compress freely?
can you recreate noise with wheel off hand turning hub?
brake pad shim rubbing hub?
Old 01-29-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
brake set up? Most run IFS calipers and LC rotors. Could be stock set up or IFS rotors and calipers.

Have you checked run run out on rotors?
clips rubbing?
have you checked fluid? Color?
flushed lines?
Is there a line-loc installed?
do all caliper pistons compress freely?
can you recreate noise with wheel off hand turning hub?
brake pad shim rubbing hub?
it is ifs calipers and vented rotors from trail gear. Fluid is good and clean flushed yesterday when I changed caliper and bread brakes. I'll have to check runnout later and no I cannot recreate sound turning it by hand
Old 01-29-2017, 04:58 PM

it is ifs calipers and vented rotors from trail gear. Fluid is good and clean flushed yesterday when I changed caliper and bread brakes. I'll have to check runnout later and no I cannot recreate sound turning it by hand
did you set wheelbearings to factory spec or any of the others out there. How was grease on old wheelbearings? Hard to tell if you use black colored grease but it you used red or green easier to tell. Are you using bolts or studs to hold spindle on? Are there and wear marks on inside or outside of rotor?

not trying to sound snutty just spitballing to see what you've done.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:05 PM

did you set wheelbearings to factory spec or any of the others out there. How was grease on old wheelbearings? Hard to tell if you use black colored grease but it you used red or green easier to tell. Are you using bolts or studs to hold spindle on? Are there and wear marks on inside or outside of rotor?

not trying to sound snutty just spitballing to see what you've done.

grease on old bearings was put in green but was black now . Wheel bearings I use a fish gauge to help set preload until I have 18ft pounds of drag. Start by torquing preload nut to 43 rotate both ways loosen rotate torque rotate loosen rotate torque rotate final torque for the drag is usually around 4 ft lbs. outer lock ring torqued to 47. I'm using bolts on spindle.
i feel like the wear marks on the rotor are normal but maybe I'm wrong just lines running the length all around the face.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:17 PM

grease on old bearings was put in green but was black now . Wheel bearings I use a fish gauge to help set preload until I have 18ft pounds of drag. Start by torquing preload nut to 43 rotate both ways loosen rotate torque rotate loosen rotate torque rotate final torque for the drag is usually around 4 ft lbs. outer lock ring torqued to 47. I'm using bolts on spindle.
i feel like the wear marks on the rotor are normal but maybe I'm wrong just lines running the length all around the face.
low range Offroad has a different method for setting wheelbearings pre-load, don't remember if it's 23lbs or 28lbs. You can watch vids to get exact. So far I've had good luck. 4lbs just sounds low expecially with 35s. If the green grease is Lucas xtreme duty it's good stuff and water proof, has a temp rating for wheelbearings. Lucy's site says it's normal to darken when heated. I used it last rebuild. I had to swap calipers last week just re-used pads. Shims on back of pads were rubbing hub so I just ground on them a little.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:24 PM

low range Offroad has a different method for setting wheelbearings pre-load, don't remember if it's 23lbs or 28lbs. You can watch vids to get exact. So far I've had good luck. 4lbs just sounds low expecially with 35s. If the green grease is Lucas xtreme duty it's good stuff and water proof, has a temp rating for wheelbearings. Lucy's site says it's normal to darken when heated. I used it last rebuild. I had to swap calipers last week just re-used pads. Shims on back of pads were rubbing hub so I just ground on them a little.
whatdo you mean by shims on the brakes rubbing?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:33 PM

whatdo you mean by shims on the brakes rubbing?
whatever set of pads I got last time had shins mounted to caliper side. Think they're supposed to quite pads. Have also had wear indicators rub too.

how muck play is in bearings with tires mounted?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:06 PM

Ok gotcha. And an eight of an inch or less
Old 01-29-2017, 06:47 PM

Ok gotcha. And an eight of an inch or less
post up whatcha find I'm curious.