Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

SAS'ing 1st Gen 4Runner to stock height?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
SAS'ing 1st Gen 4Runner to stock height?

So I'm new to Toyota's and have decided that the 1st gen 4Runner is what I'm looking for. I want to build one to be a daily city driver during the week (must clear parking garage clearances) and a hauler for my mountain biking and ski gear on the weekends.

I've always been a solid front axle guy and don't plan on adopting IFS now - as good as I'm sure Toyota's built them.

So my challenge is... 1985 turns out to be the only year 4runner that fits my criteria (EFI and solid axle). And I'm looking for something I can build back to being as clean as new inside and out. As you all know 85's are hard to come by, finding them unmolested and unlifted is even harder.

So that brings me to my question... how difficult is it to SAS an 86+ 4Runner to stock height? It seems everything I'm seeing involves a lift at the same time.

I plan on putting a good deal of cash into restoring the running gear and fully redoing the interior. I'm not sure I'll have enough left over to cover a SAS too.

Does this make sense or should I continue to hold out for the 85 i seek?

Last edited by stanz; 11-20-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
things changed from live axle to ifs such as track width grew wider with ifs and front wheel travel went down with ifs. from what i see ifs sits a little lower than stock solid axle too- saw that a while ago with my 88 parked next to an 85.

it may be cheaper overall to install lsd's or lockers on an ifs truck than try to convert it to stock type solid axle and youd get better performance on the rough that way since stock solid axle won't have lockers.

as for clearing garages, my 88 now has a 4 inch lift and is about 6' tall with 265-75-16 tires so clears most if not all of them.

but anyhow i say if you really want solid axle, its easier to wait for what you want than try to build it so hold out for it.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 PM

Why would you want a solid axle if you're just hauling gear and daily driving

I agree most of the 85s will probably have been wheeled and a little beat up. It is probably not as easy as just swapping stock suspension onto it. Might need a lift to be able to fit a solid axle under there without custom oil pans or lifting the engine or who knows.

IFS 4runners will be easier to find in good condition. Unless you plan on wheeling there is no reason for a solid axle.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ConSeann3ry
Why would you want a solid axle if you're just hauling gear and daily driving

I agree most of the 85s will probably have been wheeled and a little beat up. It is probably not as easy as just swapping stock suspension onto it. Might need a lift to be able to fit a solid axle under there without custom oil pans or lifting the engine or who knows.

IFS 4runners will be easier to find in good condition. Unless you plan on wheeling there is no reason for a solid axle.
I agree.

Unless you are lifting/wheeling the truck, there isn't any reason to go SFA. Given the cost of parts, time, and effort needed its not even remotely worth it. I wheeled my IFS for years with nary a problem. The SFA thing is mostly hype, and if you don't plan on taking it offroad much, you don't need a SFA.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 PM

I hear you guys. I'm sure the IFS would do me fine. Up until now, I've always been and old Ford guy and still have a classic 1st gen Bronco. I like the simplicity of the solid axle vs. the IFS. I've been through all of the bushing replacements and cv shafts in my prior cars (not trucks) and prefer not having to deal with the split cv boots, etc. that come along with that set up.

I plan on building the 4runner up and driving it for many years. So the simplicity of the SFA is appealing from that standpoint. But you guys are right, there are countless IFS running around on and off road going strong. Toyota's solid reputation is what brings me over even though I can never let my old Bronco go.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am currently facing a similar situation as you. I am going to SAS my 86 4Runner, but I want to keep it as low as possible. Here's what i've found will keep it the lowest. Run the Trail-Gear (many other vendors sell that kit as well) IFS Eliminator Kit. Go with the 3" springs (that's the lowest lift springs you can buy). But for the front remove the 3rd leaf in the pack. That will level it out with the back. This will let you run 33's or 35's, from what I understand, this is just about the lowest you can go.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
SASing to stock height is like kissing your sister.
Hold out for the 85 or buy a J***.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
SASing to stock height is like kissing your sister.
Hold out for the 85 or buy a J***.

:wabbit2:
x2......or buy and '84 and swap in a 22rE.

if you really want an '85, i recommend you spent more time finding an '85, and expand your search area to far beyond local. you can find one at a decent price. they're not THAT rare. particularly if you're willing to check around the southeast. i see them on craigslist frequently. the money you'd spend to retrieve one is not going to be more than the expense of the axle swap, particularly since you don't have the intention of lifting it.

here's a few '85s i found on "crazedlist" which searches many craigslists by region.

http://nwga.craigslist.org/cto/2678695040.html
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/2685292378.html
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/2698669722.html
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/cto/2637753249.html
http://boone.craigslist.org/cto/2695424611.html
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2632182097.html

and that was just a "south" region search.

but your reason for wanting a solid axle is not logical. simplicity? really? that's it? you're comparing the "difficulty" of maintenancing front end bushings or new cv axles to completely swapping an axle, including welding spring perches, dealing with the different axle width, different size brake components, comfirming the new hubs are decent or rebuilding them, etc?

that's like comparing ripping out your teeth to put in dentures because you don't want to brush and floss. it makes no sense considering you plan to use it as a daily driver and weekend-wagon.

the benefit of a solid axle swap is to take advantage of the aftermarket improvements available for live axles that increase articulation. in other words, the ability to keep all four wheels in contact with the ground when you're on extremely variable terrain, I.E. SERIOUS ROCK CRAWLING.

i bet you'd be VERY HAPPY with a rust-free 87-89 truck, which is easy to find at a reasonable price, and spend that SAS money buying some good trail armor and a clutchless LSD for the rear axle, or selectable e-locker.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:30 PM

I hear you guys. Don't get me wrong. I get that there's great expense in SAS'ing a vehicle and I wasn't speaking to that in my comment about maintenance. Just saying that in the past I ran solid axles for years without having to touch them in any way and with my previous IFS vehicles it seemed I was always replacing bushings, boots and fighting to keep them aligned.

You may be converting me over to looking at IFS Runners. They are a lot more plentiful and you are correct that I don't plan on building a serious rig out of it.

We'll see what I end up with. Thank you for all of your input!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by stanz
You may be converting me over to looking at IFS Runners. They are a lot more plentiful and you are correct that I don't plan on building a serious rig out of it.

We'll see what I end up with. Thank you for all of your input!
Like I said earlier, putting in LSD or selectable lockers will probably cost around the same as converting an IFS truck to SAS. LSD / lockers on an IFS will work better than any SAS with open differentials.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The needed lift for SAS isn't that much, it could operate and look fine with 33s or 34s. It's not that far off from stock if that's what you're going for.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:37 PM

If you are going to DD the truck, keep the IFS. SAS the rig if you spend more time on trails & have another vehicle.

Unless you can find a Hilux imported, you are stuck with IFS. Don't worry, with the right gears, mild lift & lockers you will be impressed. I went for a semi-capable 4x4/daily-driver build with my pickup, sounds like you want to do something similar. Take time & research a lot, google "your search string" + "yotatech" will yield some amazing results.

Welcome to YT!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Good sound advice. But I say if it makes you feel good go for it. I have been toying with the same thing for years. This axle after 6 years is up on a table and ever so slowly getting rebuilt.Name:  _MG_2918-1.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  128.7 KB