Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is it Safe...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it Safe...

Kinda new here so bare with me as I can use some help.

I have a '93 Pickup w/ a 22RE and its been giving me problems. The latest one is that it will start but then die after a few seconds. I've been searching on this forum and found a couple things that could be causing the problem. I did the fuel pump trick (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump) and its start/running fine with the FP-B+ jumper.

Unfortunately, the truck is not in my garage (stuck at work which is 30 miles away). The question that I have is it safe for me to do the FP-B+ jumper trick and drive it home?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
That just gives the fuel pump 12V whenever you start to crank the engine, not based on the AFM sensor.

Peferctly fine.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 PM

hahah yea. I ran for like a year like that. those MAF sensors are hella expensive. Your fine. On that note.. it probably is your maf or something related. They are real finicky..when they go.. all hell breaks loose.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, ive been running mine like that for awhile now.. it seems when its no jumped it cranks a bit longer.. i have a spare maf in my garage but i think it could be that relay or whatever it is on 4crawlers page
Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM

yea. when they go bad they mess all sorts of stuff you. The maf tells the pump when to kick on, when its bad or slow or retarded it causes the fuel supply to go all wierd. Wether late, so long crank or just not there at all. The bad worst is, its job is really kinda useless. It does talk to the ecu about mixture and what not..but with the maf bypassed I noticed no change in fuel performance and mixture. In more tech complex engines, im sure it does all kinda good stuff. a 22re is still kinda simple by todays standards. (thank god)
Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 PM

That's good to know. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Yea...I do plan on tinker with it a bit (once I get it home) to find out where the problem is (AFM, CO relay, etc).

Thanks all.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when you go to start the engine, the ignition switch turns the "circuit opening relay" on, which turns the fuel pump on. Once the engine starts running, the "circuit opening relay" is kept on by the air flow meter.
The "circuit opening relay" actually has TWO coils in it- one that gets voltage from the ignition switch and one that has voltage but need the air flow meter to ground it to keep it on.