Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rust in Gas Tank...

Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust in Gas Tank...

Hey guys,

Just came over here from TN.com, hung around this site checking things out and figured i might as well go ahead and join.

To start things off i have a few ?'s

I recently picked up a 90 ext cab 4x4 22-re auto for 250$

had 160K miles, nearly all highway with a complimentary brand new camper shell.

Couldnt get it to crank so i checked usual, and found out it had a brand new tune-up like, hadnt been drove yet tune up, so i added gas to the intake, and Vroom.

So i pulled the bed and pulled the fuel pump and found unholy hell amounts of rust. completely unrepairable so i started looking for a gas tank and fuel pump/sending unit. Parts alone were nearly 400 and i stumbled across a 94 std cab 2wd with a blown motor for 300.

Picked it up today as i THOUGHT the gas tanks were the same, apprantly i was wrong. so now im just hoping it will still fit and mount up....

Would anyone know the answer? The one in the 4x4 is a bigger the one in the 2wd is alot smaller but still "looks" to have the same hookups for electrical and all.

Also, since it appears to have been running bad, and they did a tune up, and it still wasnt good so it was parked, is there anything else i should be checking while i have 2 trucks dis-assembled?!?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM

ok, so a little searching i found out, the one in the 4x4 (the one i need) is

http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...tml?vdesc=true

and the one in the 2wd, the one i have is...
http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...e/SPITO9B.html

the length is a little shorter and its 4 gallons less, but can i mount the bracket differently

or did i just waste some money?
Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 PM

not sure about what is going to fit, but if you get it back together, I would throw about 2 cans of seafoam in the tank, and then do a seafoam job through the vaccuum hose, just to be sure.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 PM

ok i will have to do that, im sure i can weld it up to make it work, im just hoping there is no huge difference in the 2 tanks restricting it from working...
Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 PM

Update.

For anyone who runs into this problem in the future...get the right gas tank...but as a quick fix...

Yes they will work, the one that was shorter has different connections on the pump/sending unit, and the fuel level sensor. but you can splice the wires into it and use the original connectors.

I was able to get it to crank, it is at a buddy of mines house, and someone came and cut off my cat for me. so now i gotta get me an exhaust done quicker than i had planned. great huh. but it is running good only problem i am having now is a the auto tranny will not shift out of second gear unless i manually shift it into

4wd is working good, however i will have to get 2 new CV Joints, the one on the drivers side is popping, so i know it'll be one good time getting on it and itll completely break...
Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Man!!! Another damn cat thief--- I wish you woulda caught those guys...
Go ahead, and spend about 300 bucks, and get a magnaflow exhaust. use a 2.5 inch tube going into the cat, if you can, and 2.5 to 2.75, going out, from the back of the cat, to the exhaust , and out the back of the exhaust. I used this method for mine, at a Mineke shop-, except I still had my origional cat, so I used 2.5 after it until the muffler, and then 2.75 after the muffler. gives a nice smooth deep sound, opens up the power band a bit, on 1 through 3 gears; turned out very nice, and around 300 bucks, and all the stuff, plus the muffler, is stainless steel.

I would go ahead and do a Seafoam treatment right now, before you put a cat on , as well...
Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 PM

yeah tell me about it, i was on my honeymoon when it happened...

was just great to finally get a chance to work on it, and add another thing to the list.