Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Running lights wont turn off!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running lights wont turn off!!

1987 4Runner sr5 5speed 22re.
So driving today not a big deal nothing different and then randomly I turn my truck off and the sound that beeps when my lights are left on starts going and I didn't have my lights on the switch is turned off. I get out and check my rear running lights and front side markers are on. So I turn on all the lights on and off a couple times nothing worked. I'm stumped i check all fuses there all fine. Is it something with the ignition I don't know why the lights are stuck on when the switch is off.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a trailer light converter kit in there? They are known to cause weird problems. Or, some corrosion in one of the light sockets?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:22 PM

Nothing like this has ever happened I went through all the fuses everything was fine. I don't know about the towing thing I have a tow package and I'm not sure if it's wired right but i don't think it could be that. Where are the lights triggered from if the switch turned off I read something that it might be triggered from the ignition but this might of been In regards to day time running lights. Thanks for the interest having to disconnect the battery every time I'm go some where is getting pretty lame
Old 05-09-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Does this have a alarm or parts of one??

Sometimes they turn lights on when things malfunction .

It can be a royal pain sometimes to find all the parts.

Since these lights are a switched ground a short in the wiring will turn on the lights as long as it does not draw more then the fuse allows the circuit will remain on.

Most times it arcs causing the fuse to open.

It is possible the headlight switch is broken . The outside turns but the contacts remain closed

Last edited by wyoming9; 05-09-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:57 AM

Ok so maybe something got pinched somewhere I was wheeling last weekend and I hit a sharp turn over a big trap and all of my auxiliary lighting went out and is still out along with blowing a fuse for my dome lights. I'm not really sure if that helps but it cause some electrical issue my auxiliary horn works tho petty much wired the same way as the lights. I replaced the fuse for the dome and checked all other fuses including aux.... I have dome lights no auxiliary lights still and my running lights are still stuck on I'm about to undo all the wiring on the battery and clean it and see if I find any culprits. Has any one ever seen anything like this all the searching I've done just brings up brake lights dash lights no lights. Any thing in the manual I might be able to find I only have a chilton
Old 05-11-2015, 01:38 PM

Could my ignition think the key is in it still and that's why they won't turn off. Could my key getting bumped while in the ignition cause this? Things to think about I really can't find anything on this subject at all. All my engine grounds are good the trailer connection is still reading fine. I'm really stumped with this one. Most of the problems I encounter with these trucks some one else has dealt with the same thing so something new like this is so odd
Old 05-11-2015, 02:45 PM

Also if I can't find the bug can I put some external switch somewhere that will let me disable them and if so what circuit would I have to cut and as a switch too
Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by punks_is_4x4
Also if I can't find the bug can I put some external switch somewhere that will let me disable them and if so what circuit would I have to cut and as a switch too
Resist the urge to butcher the wiring in your truck.

Get a multi-meter and polish up your troubleshooting skills.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM

I just don't know where to start. I pulled the steering column open and checked resistance on the ignition I don't know what the specs should be tho. I'm damn sure it's not the switch it's self. All lights work and come on as they should but all the dash lights cigarette lighter light is on and exterior running lights are on. I did put my old 2nd gen key in the ignition and it started the car I don't think it worked on the locks tho. I guess my question now is where and what should I check for voltage or resistance obviously something is grounded that shouldn't be correct?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 PM

You could just pull the Tail fuse and get those lights off, instead of disconnecting the battery. If the Tail Light Relay is stuck in the on position, your lights will stay on. That relay should be under the dash next to the turn signal flasher.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:58 AM

Would the tail fuse keep my dash lights and front running lights and cigarette light on too and kill the only the tail lights (breaks and running lights) ? Now when I turn the light switch between off and the 1st selection (which is obviously stuck on) the lights do flicker and get brighter
Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Yes, according to the wiring diagram, it will cut power to those lights. If you find that relay you might try tapping on it with the lights on, and see if the lights will go out. If not pull it with the lights on.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:40 AM

Well I went to just check and see if I could hear the relay switch. I can hear it switch when I turn the switch from off to running lights I still hear it I'll double check and pull it open see if I can find something thanks for the input
Old 05-12-2015, 09:45 AM

The way I see it, you have power to that relay all the time. So if it's not the relay, it would have to be the light switch.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:50 AM

The power wire coming in, C, is from a fusible link.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:34 PM

Ok it gets more strange I pulled the tail fuse and lights are all on still ??
Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 PM

Yup, that's strange! It has to be getting power from somewhere beyond the Tail fuse. Or your fuse is fused! I would check and make sure there is only 12VDC on one side of the fuse holder. After that you're going to have to find where it's getting voltage from.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:21 AM

So your saying test the fuse holder power should only be coming from one direction right ? And it is a possibility of the fuse box fusing to its self? Could the connectin be made further down the line after the fuse box ? And I'm trying to locate where the tow package wiring connects I want to try and disconnect it and see if it goes away
Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 AM

Yes, only power on one side of the fuse. I don't know if it can fuse, (sorry, a little pun in the previous post), but things happen, so that's one thing to eliminate. And yes it can be further down the line. This is really odd. The trailer wiring is a good idea to check. I would think it would be something that has been changed, or damaged as you said when you were wheeling. Or any addition as in an alarm as wyo9 mentioned.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:20 AM

Well it didn't happen when I was wheeling happened like 5 days after so that's what the most odd thing is to me I blew a fuse while wheeling even tho I wasn't using any things attached to it it was the dome fuse

Quick Reply: Running lights wont turn off!!