Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rough at Start, Manuals, and Gas Mileage Questions

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough at Start, Manuals, and Gas Mileage Questions

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 1990 Pickup 22R 4 speed manual (carb.) with 196000 miles on it and have a couple questions. I have replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, and fuel filter on the truck so far and thrown some sea foam in the crank and gas tank (after emissions test was ran....read below). With that said, here's my questions:

1. When my truck hasn't been running for a few hours, if I go to start it up, it usually starts right up no problem, but then it has a really rough idle. When I accelerate its really rough like its in the middle of trying to kill itself and trying to stay alive (but still runs). Every once in a while, it runs rough enough so it kills itself and then it's a little more of a challenge to get her started. The truck will solves its own problem about....30-45 seconds after running it and then it's just like normal. It doesn't necessarily need to "warm up" for the problem to go away, but something needs to be moving or a sensor needs to get itself in check for a little bit and then the problem goes away. Now that I'm thinking about it, other pertinent info would be that it passes emissions in my state with flying colors. The emissions were super super low when they tested it. Some of the readings were 0. One other thing, the exhaust does smell a little rich during this rough period. Even smells a tad rich when running normally. But it still passed emissions with no problem. Just wondering what things I should be checking to see if I can remedy this.

2. It doesn't get as good of gas mileage as I thought it would. I think I maybe (really stressing the maybe) getting 19-20mpg if not less. I was at least hoping for mid 20s with this guy. It could be related to #1, but if there are any suggestions to make this a little higher by checking something, let me know

3. I know sometimes Chiltons' manual can be better than Haynes' manual (depending on the car), but which one is a little better for my pickup?

Thanks for your help everyone. Any response is appreciated
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM

I recently picked up an 82 22r carb 4 speed that currently has 221k miles. Mine has similar sounding problems. It was brought to my attention about possible fuel tank rust and the filters thereafter being clogged. I still get around 24-26mpg though. Maybe a fuel leak somewhere before the carb? As for the emissions, where I live doesn't require smogging but that still sounds weird.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 AM

Yeah that's something to look into. I'll see if I can find a gas leak somewhere cause that could be a cuprite. My take is that its a sensor problem or that there is a fuel leak in the carb or something related to that. I'd have to say I'm more on the sensor side myself. Part of the reason I mentioned which manual to buy was so I can test the resistance of some sensors to see which one was bad.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
www.ncttora.com/fsm

:wabbit2:
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I doubt that's legal... :-\ Thanks for the reply though.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 PM

"I doubt that's legal... :-\ Thanks for the reply though."

Really? I hope your screen name isn't referencing the tv show Firefly, because Cptn Malcolm Reynolds would be very disappointed

If you are really afraid of being sued by Toyota for downloading an out-of-print and generally very hard-to-find document, then you will need to find a paper copy for sale. Period. This assumes that you are planning on doing your on work.