86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rough Country question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rough Country question

I need help from anyone that has installed a Rough Country lift on a 2nd gen 4runner on 33" tires. I am looking for a measurement from the ground to the bottom of the rear wheel well above the tire. I installed the kit on mine and the rear sits way high. I had to crank the torsion bars over 2" to get it to sit level. Is that normal? When looking at the rear coil springs from the rear, it looks like the coils curve out in the middle. Top and botom of coils line up fine, but middle seems to be farther out. I have emailed Rough Country customer service and got no response at all. I called them and talked to someone that said they would talk to r & d and call me back, and got no return call. Any info would be great. Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of front lift did the kit come with to level it to the back? I won't be able to answer much for ya on this but I'm sure some pics of the rear set up might help some others to help ya. Good luck
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 PM

It is a 4-5" spindle lift. It has drop bracket for spindle, brackets that lower the front diff and cross member. The measurement to the center of the rear wheel well is about 42". I will try to take some pics tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man I have the Rough Country on my 93. I never had that problem by rear was nice and level afterwards. I think the coil curving is somewhat normal for that mine does it too and I've seen it quite a bit. it mostly has to do with the angle of the spring pads on the axle and with the axle at a different angle from the taller springs and the extended top links, the spring pad doesn't sit level, making the spring curve.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 AM

That makes sense to me. When you have a chance, can you send me a measurement from ground to center of rear wheel well. Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your vehicle isn't supposed to sit level.
Almost all large vehicles (trucks and SUV's) have rake.
AKA the rear is higher than the front.
So when you load the vehicle up, it doesn't sag so far down.

With brand new rear springs from the lift kit and the front torsion bars are almost 20 years old, they obviously won't match height.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 PM

Mine sat level right out of the box as well. If your torsion bars are really worn then i would replace them like stuwy was gettn'' at but to be more helpful; replace the torsion bars with some new ones, stock is great and smooth when left un-cranked, but aftermarket could be good, heard they are stiffer - thus less comfortable, but can handle more front load (ie winch, etc.). The rear coils will eventually sag a minor amount, should level the front though. I'm willing to bet the torsions have just lost their spring tension. Hope that helps!