Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rolled 22re only cranks over without plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rolled 22re only cranks over without plug

I rolled my 86 pickup like a dumbass. I pulled the plugs to ensure it wasn't hydrolocked. It cranked over just fine and no oil puked out. When I put the plugs back in it wont crank. even jumped it with a strong battery. the starter solenoid engages and it will start to very slowly crank but the engine makes funky noises and really struggles... the exhaust is completely fine, no restrictions. intake seems ok. is it possible the maf could be stuck causing restriction on intake? any suggestions and help is much appreciated!
Old 12-19-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Without the plugs, how fast does it turn?

It should turn super fast without plugs. If not, there is something wrong.

You may have hydrolocked it or at the very least bent internals. Or it jumped time and is trying to build compression in advance.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:48 AM

with no plugs it turns quite easily by hand turning the pulley, and cranking with the starter it spins quickly. like i said there didn't seem to be much oil coming out of the plug holes when i cranked it over. bit of oil on a couple of the plugs tho. any other tricks to see if shes hydro locked? other than taking the valve cover off?
Old 12-19-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
So breakdown the differences. With no plugs, I.e. No built up compression, it spins.

With plugs, it builds so much compression it doesn't turn.

So your valves aren't opening to relieve that compression, bent valve train, broken timing chain, etc. mechanical failure.

You could try to do a compression test. Or pull the valve cover and see if your rockers are moving.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:45 PM

well it turns the problem was a bad battery. on a full charge it only had enough amperage to crank it over a few times. hooked up a decent battery and she fired up after a 5 seconds of cranking. smoked for 5 minutes and now she's idling just fine

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-20-2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Language