Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rocker panel protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocker panel protection

well when i was looking into doing this to my rig to keep the rocks from beating the hell out of my paint job and i really couldnt find much on here from people doing a DIY on there rocker panels and i did not want to pay $1000 to have a shop do it so i decited to go ahead and test out the waters and do it and might as well take some pictures of the process just in case someone else wanted to do it to there own rig and all my buddies really liked it so i figured i would post it

First things first start taping
there is no set place just preference on where to start. I started about half way of the upper lip where the molding use to be if that makes any sence

After you get your line start sanding i used a sanding wheel form autozone i have used them in the past and have worked great it will stip whaterver it touches so be very carefull

Once you start sanding your commited lol but just follow the tape all the way to the edge you want to sand to the very egde so the product will stick

Just continue all the way around the truck. I also went over my fender because the old crapper crome finder flares rubbed half my paint off and it looks better to me any how

I also did the inside of my doors to match (OCD i guess) you dont have to do it but it looks pretty sharp when you open the doors, but the same goes follow the line and tape and sand behind the door where the hinges are is kinda a pain so just wing it(like i did) or take the doors off if you want

Once you have sanded everything you want to cover wash it off with a waterhose and then whipe with a towel because you dont want any dust or debre when you start applying
whatever you use
After its ggod and dry start applying i used rustolium stuff (5$ a can) at fist it sucked so dont do that after i scraped that off which was pretty much the whole bed i went and got the Duplicolor Bed Armor (12$ a can) and started again that is way better but you have to watch it if you spary it on to thick it will run and leave run marks in it when it drys but if it happens dont worrie esay fix let it completely dry and say the next day take your sanding wheel and hit it till its smooth then reaply more spray as needed and more layers if you want it to be thicker

in the picutre it looks streeky but its because its still wet it drys really even you can also hit it with a can of clear coat it will help it from the dirt sticking in the tecture and puts a nice shine to it

but thats about it i hope this helps anyone that has been thinking about doing some thing to there rocker panels so that rocks and stuff will stop beating the hell out of there pait job
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Cheap spray can bed liner isn't going to offer any more protection than the factory paint. Mud flaps offer more protection than that..

Last edited by thebeeler; 12-12-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Like the detail and pics, add some sliders and rear bumper and you'll have protection for real tho. Thanks for the post and pics cause I know a bunch of people have thought about this but you'll need the above mentioned parts for real protection
Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 PM

It came out really nice! good job man and the ocd on the doors is a really nice touch!

haters gonna hate! hahaha
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM

I was not implying mudflaps are real protection, just that they will actually stop rocks from hitting the sides of your pickup. I have done the same thing before on my prerunner, but I used a 2 part Kevlar epoxy bed liner. That will actually stop rock chips.
Rocker panel protection-ukwim.jpg
Old 12-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
@ beeler.

what brand of epoxy paint did you use? and how bout some specs on that fine lookin dez truck, glass your running? suspension? and drivetrain?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Nice job. Looks good. If you do get a chip, it will be a easy fix. I have used that Duplicolor stuff and I thought it was good stuff for the price. It is tougher than people think.
Keep up the good work. Good looking truck!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Like the detail and pics, add some sliders and rear bumper and you'll have protection for real tho. Thanks for the post and pics cause I know a bunch of people have thought about this but you'll need the above mentioned parts for real protection

sliders are on the menu and im about to start on the fab work of the back bumper and thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by racersg
Nice job. Looks good. If you do get a chip, it will be a easy fix. I have used that Duplicolor stuff and I thought it was good stuff for the price. It is tougher than people think.
Keep up the good work. Good looking truck!

Thanks bud and it is and i have had quite a few rocks hits and still not a chip the stuff is really tuff and i am really not a mud flaps type guy just me though
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by hiGis
It came out really nice! good job man and the ocd on the doors is a really nice touch!

haters gonna hate! hahaha

thanks man and thats the dam truth lol
Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 PM

Hey Buck&Du krig,nice truck.You did a nice job personalizing it.Is that a 95?Looks just like mine.http://m1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ster1/?src=www
Old 12-14-2012, 06:33 AM

thanks it puts a nice touch on it but its a 94 same body still but it looks like yours has a 84-89 bed on it
Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49
@ beeler.

what brand of epoxy paint did you use? and how bout some specs on that fine lookin dez truck, glass your running? suspension? and drivetrain?
US Chemical - Defender Pro bed liner. It's a fairly new bedliner, it's only been out for about year. It's one of the most popular bedliners I sell, right behind UPOL's Raptor bedliner kit. Truck was just a simple desert truck, 3-linked rear strapped at 26". Score spec cage. +5 front race kit strapped at 17". Stock motor with Accel ignition, KN intake, full exhaust, geared and locked rolling on 33's.