Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Retard/Advance Timing After Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retard/Advance Timing After Header Install

Hey all,

Couldn't find a topic discussion on this issue.
From what I was I told, after installing a full exhaust system (headers:No Cat:2 1/4" piping:Exhaust muffler before the axle:Tail pipe out behind the rear driver fender well) that you gotta "retard" the timing.

I read some issues, but alls they were talkin' about was advancing the timing.

I have a 1993 Toyota 22-RE Xtracab Deluxe 5speed.

I've installed Doug Thorley headers
Removed the Cat
2 1/4" piping before the O2 sensor sits and after the O2 sensor location
Flowmaster Exhaust
Tail pipe out.

Should I adjust the IAC sensor or actually adjust the timing.

Be sure to include details like KOE-OFF or KOE-ON

thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retarding the timing solves pinging and detonation. Advancing the timing may gain small amounts of power but cause pinging and/or detonation. Do you have pinging, or detonation? If not you do not need to retard your timing.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to look into the VAFM swap for the 22re. I'm runnign the 3vze, so don't know all of the specifics, but basically a larger VAFM from one of the Toyota cars should be a direct swap in for what you have currently. On that you'll probably need to adjust the new VAFM for your engine...

But if not knocking/pinging your engine timing should be good. All the exhaust should have done is reduce back pressure allowing your engine to breathe better. But without boring your throttle, intake, a VAFM swap, ISR mod with mandrel bent air intake, etc, (don't know if any of these are actually recommended for the 22re btw), where you're introducing more air into the front end of the engine (changing the air fuel mix ratio beyond what your computer can automatically and efficiently correct), you shouldn't have a need for adjusting either your VAFM or engine timing just on account of doing your exhaust. You might look at engine timing for better engine response, and adjusting the VAFM might lead to a slightly faster throttle response, but again, without changing the air intake portion of the system, you're playing in the margins.

Last edited by RSR; 05-29-2013 at 12:16 AM.