86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

resurface clutch disk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question resurface clutch disk?

Has anyone ever tried this? Is it worth it? Wise?

The clutch disk on my 3vze seems glazed, and rather than order a new plate I thought I might try to resurface or deglaze the disk.

I have a 6 in palm sander and fine grit sand paper but im not sure how much margin for error there is or if it is possible....I cant find much info on how to deglaze a clutch disk. Maybe everyone just rather replaces it
Attached Thumbnails resurface clutch disk?-clutch-plate.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just replace it while its out unless you were on a super budget
Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Buy a new one..
don't try and mess with it, because you don't have machine shop ;level of accuracy in a hand sander lol
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 PM

If I were to buy a new disk would it be compatible with my stock pressure plate? and would I have to resurface the fly and PP anyway?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Your pressure plate didn`t look to good either!!

How does the flywheel look??

As cheap as the kits are now I would replace it while it is out .

By hand you would make it worse .

Back in the day the used to put new lining on clutch discs but it got to the point it was cheaper to just buy new.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
resurfacing clutch disk's is out. buying new is in.

same idea as alternator's, people used to re-build them back in the day, but now with the ease of finding parts, and the availability of parts, its eisier just to go with new.

i cant even remeber the last time i got my rotors "cut". ive just been gettin new ones
Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by coltonstewart
If I were to buy a new disk would it be compatible with my stock pressure plate? and would I have to resurface the fly and PP anyway?
WabFab & MarlinCrawler both sell excellent clutches & pressure plates. I opted to replace the PP as it was about $28 to resurface & I think I only paid like $47 for the new PP.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 AM

i would use a hand sander on the fly wheel itself if it looks ok(no hot spots or cracks ect) then buy a new clutch kit,dont have to sand much just enough to scuff it up.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the input, i see that replacement is the concensus!

I had to indulge myself though and took solvent and a green scratch pad to the clutch disk and it looks alot different now... kinda messed up what do you think? does this look usable?

Originally Posted by KenC
i would use a hand sander on the fly wheel itself if it looks ok(no hot spots or cracks ect) then buy a new clutch kit,dont have to sand much just enough to scuff it up.
So i actually want some break in scuff on the flywheel for a new clutch?

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Your pressure plate didn`t look to good either!!

How does the flywheel look??
the flywheel looks just like the PP, and wasnt oily or anything
Attached Thumbnails resurface clutch disk?-3.jpg  

Last edited by coltonstewart; 08-19-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM

i always scuff the flywheel to break the glaze when i install a clutch,technically the right way is to have it cut then shim the flywheel for the difference but ive done this over half a dozen times with good results.I personally would not reuse a clutch i would install new one,recently put one in my yota i think it was less than 150. for the whole kit
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Yeah Im playin it safe i dont know enough about clutches to fool around so im going so go for a new kit. What grit do you use to scuff the flywheel?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 PM

i always use what ever sand paper i have laying around,i just break the glaze while removing as little metal as possible
Old 08-19-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is your own life worth it by saving a couple of hundred bucks? you sand that thing, and you'll be breathing all those fibers in the air which isn't good for you

I don't care if it's not asbestos anymore, that stuff still isn't good to breathe

just buy a new clutch kit and flywheel and be done with it... besides, it's not worth the time having to mess with it again if your bandaid fix can't hold up
Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 PM

i was recommending sanding the fly wheel not the clutch disc,not worth using a old clutch should replace it since ur already there imo but if the flywheel is in good shape i wouldnt waste the $ on a new one.

Last edited by KenC; 08-19-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 PM

if the flywheel is warped it'll need to be resurfaced... the clutch might not grab as good after that and the pedal position will be different... if there are heat scoring, the flywheel is junk as it'll warp again or cause chattering

flywheels are cheap, just replace it!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 PM

the clutch disc looks to be in awesome shape, just re-use it. Any sandpaper laying around for the flywheel is just fine. Slap it back together and dont worry about it, you've got another 3 years or so left on that clutch
Old 08-20-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by girlcrazy_4
the clutch disc looks to be in awesome shape, just re-use it. Any sandpaper laying around for the flywheel is just fine. Slap it back together and dont worry about it, you've got another 3 years or so left on that clutch
You sound pretty confident, leave the last word to be the contrasting opinion! You are talking about the cleaned disk right? It looks like i got the glaze off but i dont know how the integrity was affected.. And i cant find a picture of a used clutch that looks like that with the copper looking strands visible. That looks like a healthy clutch disk then huh? everyone else says throw it away lol!

The flywheel however, upon closer investigation, is heat stained and cracking so thats a no brainer.. i wish i hadnt just intalled the fly bolts with loc-tite!

I appreciate everyone's input Thanks!

Last edited by coltonstewart; 08-20-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by coltonstewart
You sound pretty confident, leave the last word to be the contrasting opinion! You are talking about the cleaned disk right? It looks like i got the glaze off but i dont know how the integrity was affected.. And i cant find a picture of a used clutch that looks like that with the copper looking strands visible. That looks like a healthy clutch disk then huh? everyone else says throw it away lol!

The flywheel however, upon closer investigation, is heat stained and cracking so thats a no brainer.. i wish i hadnt just intalled the fly bolts with loc-tite!

I appreciate everyone's input Thanks!
Put it this way, regarding the flywheel... How did your clutch feel before hand? Did your clutch pulsate? I'm talking about the friction point of 50%on/50%off the clutch when you are engaging in 1st gear. Like... did it feel like warped brake rotors? If not, slap it back on. I've seen many flywheels DARK blue, cracked, warped etc and obviously those I'll resurface.. but any older flywheel is bound to get a few heirline cracks. Just take the glaze off of it DONT USE A PALM SANDER. Sandpaper and a block of wood is just fine. I realize its a absolute PITA to pull the tranny's out of our trucks, and its hard to justify using a old clutch, but yours still looks like its in awesome shape and I wouldnt bother. By the time you buy a new clutch KIT, resurface the flywheel etc the price is going to go way up. Even just buying a new disk is risky because the flywheel and pressure plate are "warn to the disk" and adding just a disk could cause it to grab improperly and slip.

Lol, if this makes any sense. JUST USE THE OLD CLUTCH!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 PM

clutch manufacturers always recommend a new flywheel or a resurfaced one be used when installing a new clutch... if you don't, then problems might happen and when they do, they won't cover it under warranty!