86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing the tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the tranny questions

...in my '87 pickup 22re 4x4 x-cab auto, and every went well headed back from about 1hr away. I go to take it to grab some food about 2hrs later and now it slips bad going into 1st and has a rough idle when my foot's on the break and just sitting at a red light. I can put it into nuetral and it runs normally.

So, I'm not a mechanic but I'm guessing the tranny's screwed. Once I'm driving it shifts fine up and down through the gears but revs to almost 3k to 5-10mph and then starts driving normally. I thinking this means time to put some time into looking for a replacement trans and having another one thrown in.

3 questions...

Anyone know the cost in replacing the trans? (The trucks worth maybe $1500 total)

Where is the part number on the trans? (A340H or A340F or whatever)

and finally, should I even bother? (Maybe just get rid of it and start again with a taco, if I could find a 4x4 that is)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Edit: Correction....yours is A340H. Yeah, troubleshoot it first before you condemn it. It may not be the transmission. Unless, you're just itching to replace it, anyway.

Last edited by thook; 07-24-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Those numbers are for 3vze trannys.

I'm no transmission guy, but you might be having a problem with something else. It's worth doing a little more research before you condemn the transmission.
Gotcha. What else should I look for and where is the part number located for the trans I have?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Hey......sorry about that. Had my models and years confused. I made the correction. Look here........

http://www.usatransdoctor.com/foreigntoyota.htm

Like I said, I'm no tranny guy, but the transmission operation is in part controlled by various engine components.....eg. throttle sensor. The fact that you have problems idling when the brake is on is what leads me to believe it may be a problem other than the tranny. I just don't know enough to give you any real clues at the moment.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
EDIT; It was was several years ago when my friends 86 Auto 4Runner did this, so I couldn't remember what the issue was.

IT WAS the torque converter.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-25-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This might be a stupid question, but did you check the fluid level? Maybe it's low or something? Another possibility is the torque converter.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
definatley test for the torque-converter..... I've always been a $100 clutch manual guy..... but i'd check that first....
Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 AM

[quote=tumor21;51507900]...
Anyone know the cost in replacing the trans? (The trucks worth maybe $1500 total)

quote]

Your Truck is worth a lot more than $1,500. At least in Florida it is. Taco 4x4's are like Gold around here.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by strykersd
This might be a stupid question, but did you check the fluid level? Maybe it's low or something? Another possibility is the torque converter.
x2 - also, when was the fluid changed last? Seems A LOT of people ignore this basic maintenance.

Before going through all the effort and cost of replacing the tranny, I'd for damn sure change the fluid and try one of the "slip fix" additives (either Lucas or Greased Lightning would be my choices)

Last edited by tc; 07-25-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by tc
x2 - also, when was the fluid changed last? Seems A LOT of people ignore this basic maintenance.

Before going through all the effort and cost of replacing the tranny, I'd for damn sure change the fluid and try one of the "slip fix" additives (either Lucas or Greased Lightning would be my choices)
Lucas worked well in my buddies 86 Auto .... AFTER he replaced the Torque Converter.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 AM

If you DO end up needing a Tranny, why not buy a salvage with lower miles, w/30-90 day guarantee?

PS> Tumor.... Why is it that you feel your 87 is only worth 1500$, max? Is it a beater?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Ran into a buddy down the street who says I can take all the swap parts I want off his 5spd '86 4x4 for $300. Anyone know of any good swap guides? a340F to W56
Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM

Not sure if anyone can confirm this... But I think you'll need that ECU as well, IF it's interchangeable with the 87. I SAID I THINK, GUYS, ...don't pummel me! lol.

I think you have an issue of Trans mounting and Shifting Plate? Seems like I found more guys switching to auto than the other way around, lol. Why?...No idea. Possibly for mini-trucks, lowered type rigs.

Anyhow, BEST WISHES, .... Make sure you find out if you need the mounts off that rig, also, ok? Maybe a driveshaft issue as well, guys?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 AM

PS> 300$? GOOD DEAL if you can take everything, including the ECU(if you need it, ...someone will clarify/expound/denounce that later, I'm sure, lol).
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Not sure if anyone can confirm this... But I think you'll need that ECU as well, IF it's interchangeable with the 87. I SAID I THINK, GUYS, ...don't pummel me! lol.

I think you have an issue of Trans mounting and Shifting Plate? Seems like I found more guys switching to auto than the other way around, lol. Why?...No idea. Possibly for mini-trucks, lowered type rigs.

Anyhow, BEST WISHES, .... Make sure you find out if you need the mounts off that rig, also, ok? Maybe a driveshaft issue as well, guys?
If he's just swapping trannys, he doesn't need the other ECU. The only thing he'd need to do is make a jumper for the P/N safety switch on his present ECU. And, of course, whatever necessary to keep the CEL from coming on.....like the O/D, AT temp light, and whatever else. Details I'm not all that familiar with. But, the W56 will be a direct fit on the engine.

However, last time I talked to someone when I'd contemplate swapping my 5spd over to an auto chassis, I was told the body is a bit different. Namely the shifter console was a different height, and it would require cutting a bit or lifting the body. Not sure how true it is, though. Driveshafts may be an issue too, as Chef pointed out. Again, not sure.

Edit: Although!, I had to do a temporary driveshaft swap from my wife's '92 3vze to my '86 22re (both 4wd) and driveshaft length was not an issue.

Last edited by thook; 07-25-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 AM

Doesn't he need new/different mounts for the Manual? Not sure, just from reading up a lil it seems that many have had to mod that, ...nothing major, just requires moving and different mounts???
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 AM

Oh, you mean the crossmember? I may be remembering incorrectly, but from what I do remember I recall the measurements for the bolt hole for the crossmember being in the same spot. But, that's been a while ago. Crossmember itself is definitely different.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:29 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are several manual tranny swap threads on here
Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM

I think I'm going to attempt a 5spd swap to get away from the "I hope my transmission knows what it's doing" approach of wheeling an auto. After that I would think that a 5spd xcab 4x4 22re would be more sought after than an auto, so I might be in a slightly better position to sell if I have to. After the new head gasket and head, and now the tranny I'm starting to lose faith in my lil 2nd gen pickup. I'd want to have a good trail truck to take long distances and it just seems to develop an issue with something when I decide to drive more than an hour away from home. It was defeated by a hill on the freeway twice now. once from the motor overheating struggling to get to 45mph going up the L.A. grade, and now the tranny going out probably trying to hit 45mph up the 154 overpass in Santa Barbara, and while getting closer to red in the temp gauge. It might just be that my tranny isn't transferring jack to the wheels any more and the motor is taking the abuse going up hill, but I'm starting to seriously consider a 3.4 taco or 4runner to try to alleviate these issues better.

Don't want a heavy-ass full size american monster at 2mpg. Just want a reliable lil trail rig that I don't have to swap an LS1 and T-56 gearbox into to get up a hill to go camping...

Forgive the rant, I love my '87 and I'm the first one to defend 'Yota reliability in a discussion, but it's falling short to do simple things that a camry can do fine on the road.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:39 AM

I think with the 5spd and a Ted-Head and some exhaust work, ...you should be able to have your rig TOTALLY capable for around a grand? You might just find you don't need anything but the 5spd... way more control of the gearing, obviously, and on hills, I sometimes have to ride in 3rd at 55 or so to get over the 15... I know what you mean. Time for gears for me, I guess. Not sure but I've been told that the Taco's are not as capable as the 2nd gen pick ups, factory-4x4 wheeling i mean. However, that 3.4? YEAH, nice! Not a cheap swap, however, from what I've read.

Quick Reply: Replacing the tranny questions