Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

replacing shocks, buy some for now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
replacing shocks, buy some for now or wait?

This thread has two questions.

1) Should I replace the shocks now or wait?

Reason: I'm doing my coils and spacers this weekend and know I'll need new shocks but I'm going to be ordering the U-bolt flip kit and rear shock mounts from WabFab near the first of the month (if the wife doesn't want new shoes, again. Yeah Wabbit is lucky I got to order that top before my lady found out I got a bonus.) and will need new shocks once I get the lower mounts welded on. I can probably wait on the rears until then and since I'll be placing an order to the Wabbit I can get shocks from him at the same time. (he'd like that I bet) There are some cheap rancho's on ebay that I can use in the interm but it seems kind of a waste to buy them. If I can keep from wheeling for a few weeks, with a new lift that's probably not going to happen, then it's a no brainer. I just don't want to give in to the urge to drop in and end up rolling the rig due to having worn out shocks.

Make sense?

2) How to correctly measure droop and compression?

Reason: I'll be using a forklift to get the rig off the ground to do the coils and figured I could just measure the amount of droop with the shocks off and coils installed and the rear off the ground. What I don't know is if putting one tire on the forklift and lifting it until it stuffs (there is my compression measurement) will make the other tire drop farther than it would if the entire rear was off the ground. I'm not sure if the axle will act as a lever and create more droop with one side stuffed.

Does that one make sense?

None of this would be an issue if I wasn't used to wheeling a few times every week and at least once every weekend...... addiction? Yes I know. "Hi, my name is Ricky and I'm addicted to off camber situations and rock climbs." *wave*

Thank you for your time and I'm sorry if these questions sound stupid or like something a rookie would ask. Then again I am a rookie.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) wait- topping out a shock is not as hard on them as bottoming out.
2) you want to consider the maximum possible compression and extension, period. maximum possible extension should be done with the coils in place since they will press down on the axle anyhow, unless they are totally loose with the suspension at full droop... and compression should be done without the coils in place so you can factor in bumps you may hit when the springs are at maximum 'static' compression. make sense?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
1) wait- topping out a shock is not as hard on them as bottoming out.
2) you want to consider the maximum possible compression and extension, period. maximum possible extension should be done with the coils in place since they will press down on the axle anyhow, unless they are totally loose with the suspension at full droop... and compression should be done without the coils in place so you can factor in bumps you may hit when the springs are at maximum 'static' compression. make sense?
1) OK that makes some sense. I'll do my best not to wheel until I can replace them.

2) The coils are still tight against the top of the leaf pack at full droop (or at least they were on the pickup when I did this). I'll check that also. I'll also look at max stuff when the coils are out and the upper bumpstop is cut out.

Thanks Abe. I can always count on you for advice.