Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing my 22re gas tank, how to clean the fuel system too?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing my 22re gas tank, how to clean the fuel system too?

I have to replace my gas tank on my 86 runner. It sat for years and is very rusty inside. Now I have a few questions.

While I have it out, I need to be sure the rest of the lines are clean. If I have the high pressure line off at the tank, and the fuel filter off. Can I use compressed air to blow out the fuel lines? Do I risk any damage? I want to be sure that there isn't any lingering junk in there. Can I do the same from the fuel filter to the fuel rail? Anything I can do to clean my injectors without a full rebuild?

What would your advice be to make sure this is a final fix for my fuel system? I can't find a new fuel level float unit, don't have to go used?

Obviously the fuel filter will be replaced
Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I just found this post and maybe a little late, but I pull the fuel tanks and do use compressed air to clean out the lines. If they are clogged real bad, I have had to make a little funnel and pour Marvel Mystery Oil or PB Blaster and let them soak a few days. May need to work both ends of the fuel line to get it to clear the clog.

On my 88 Runner build below, on the first page, I had to do some fuel tank repair as well. Here in Missouri, and other humid places, rust in the tank is a common issue that is often neglected or not known about. You can quite often find the "J" line is clogged up as well on the fuel pump assembly.

Up in your area, you have a great source of parts if you need to replace the sending unit. Do a search on Mightymouse as he has acess to alot of Toyota parts. Depending on the condition of your fuel tank, it possible to save it if it is just rusty inside and no holes. I have it listed on my 88 build as well.

A new fuel pump from Toyota is about $300 and from the parts stores is about $150. I have replaced several pumps that I got from ebay for about $30. Never had a problem with them and were exact fits.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. The tank should be here this week. I think my j line is clogged up. I will keep my oem tank and clean and seal it myself. I'll come across another yota that needs saved one day and it will need a gas tank too. Now I know.

The fuel pump is Only 200miles or less old. I've got a new screen and filter coming too. I'm praying my lines clogged so I can feel good about doing the repair. I've met up with mighty mouse on a few occasions. He's great to deal with.

I'm looking forward to getting my truck daily driveable!