86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing 22RE LB - What else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing 22RE LB - What else?

The 22RE bit the dust in my '94 pickup. I had just bought the truck from a person (1 owner) and he told me he had never had to touch the engine other than a timing belt at 80K miles and then just routine oil changes, filters, etc. The truck has 186K miles on it. I am going to put a new long block in it. While I am at it I figured I would replace a few other things just for peace of mind. For example I plan to replace the water pump, fuel filter, & O2 sensor. What other low cost, bang for my buck, items would you replace while you were doing an engine swap? I want to spend the next couple of weeks putting a short list of engine related items together and figure out the cheapest place to buy them and place my orders. I am on a budget but may have an extra $300-$500 for miscelleneuos engine items.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 AM

If its a m/t I'd do the clutch.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well since the previous owner told you he replaced the timing BELT on a 22re, i wouldnt go by anything he said. the 22re has a timing chain...

EDIT: you say it bit the dust, what broke, whats wrong with it?

Last edited by sebastianholmes; 02-17-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spokane.yota.man
If its a m/t I'd do the clutch.
It's as good a time as any to do it.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM

I thought about that but the old man I bought it from said he had replaced the clutch and the a/c compressor in the last year. Both the clutch & the a/c seem to work great. Other than the motor knocking a little when I bought it and what I felt like was low power, everything else seems good. The 4wd works great, transmission/clutch seem great, no leaks anywhere, got 22 mpg, all gauges work, etc. Because the truck (I know its a 4 cyl) seemed excessively low in the power department I have been suspect of emmision items (EGR, O2 Sensor, Cat/exhaust, etc.). That being said it did get close to 22 mpg in the 2 tanks of gas I bought before the motor went. Fuel injectors are another item I am thinking about.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PO of my truck replaced the clutch about 4k km's ago but I've got a brand new one to go in with the new transmission. You should at least inspect it for wear.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM

I meant to say timing chain, not belt. I will try to inspect the clutch before hand. I have rounded up help for this project. I will have 3 other experienced people helping on a weekend so I want to have everything possible on hand so we don't hit a wall and I loose my help.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM

I wouldn't replace the Injectors unless you have a problem with them. At the most call around and maybe get them cleaned and flow tested. then re install. IMHO.

If you like to crawl change the clutch. and use an upgraded unit. The stock one the po put it won't last long if you are crawling. (also look at a heavier fly wheel. It will help with clutch manipulation and prevent(well make it less prone) stalling at low throttle slow speed crawls. Resist the urge to go lighter flywheel, It isn't a racecar you don't need to rev faster you need to be able to take off with out killing the truck at very light throttle and slow speeds.

Since you are on a budget... Maybe look at Gasket matching your intake and Throttle body as well. (it is basically free power/ Efficiency). This is assuming you or someone you know has a dremel and some free time. Google porting instructions and read. and if you don't have a header go ahead and gasket match that Manifold. Might not Help a done but free/smooth flowing is a good thing on both ends.

Also now maybe the time to look at getting an Aftermarket Cam that is tuned for low end power.

As you can see the list of stuff you could/would or should is very long. make a choice based on how you use your truck and what you want to get out of your truck in the future. then go from there.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://engnbldr.com/

this site has everything you will need and might want