Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacement seats for 87 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement seats for 87 pickup

I have an 87 Toyota Sunrader (pickup based C Class RV). It currently has the stock seats. They are the optional pillowtop seats that look like they came from Grandma's '87 Buick. They are horrible.

I found a set of 80s Prelude seats for my first Toy RV that were awesome and almost a direct bolt in. Time to find another set of seats for my "new" Toy. I have found a set of '95 4runner SR5 seats for cheap.Driver's is a little rough, but a cover should fix that. I believe they are direct bolt in. Should be a major improvement.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don't mind doing some mounting mods for the right set. My requirements are cloth, not leather, all day comfort (yeah kind of hard to quantify as one man's comfort is another's torture) and they can't be too big. By that I mean cab space is already tight. I need something with a slim back to it, so i can get the seat as far from the wheel as possible. Sure wish they used extended cabs on these things.

Mr. moderator, If there is a better forum for this question, please move it. Just let me know where you put it. Thanks.

If anyone would like to pimp up their ride with these lovely pillowtop seats, let me know. I won't ship them, unless you want them really badly, which I doubt. They look like new.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I put some Acura Integra seats in my old 1983 single cab, they were a definite improvement over the terrible condition stock seats...but I think if I were to do it over again I would have kept the stock seats and re-hab'd them, which I kindof did on my 4Runner drivers seat. Now, if you could find a nice set of SR5 seats from a first gen 4Runner, I think that would be great. My only concern would be paying very much money for 30 year old seats...the foam is likely going to be weak. Like you already mentioned, single cab trucks are tight and if the seat back is thick or the headrest is too high, seems like the adjustment will be limited.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I've been checking out replacement seats for my 84. First, I wouldn't just drill a hole to mount another seat, the bolts tend to go into some form of reinforced metal. Given that I am looking at swapping out the rails on to whatever seats I end up using.

I also don't fit well in the regular cab trucks so that is a factor. The seats I have here (80s Corolla) have a thicker back which puts me even closer to the wheel/pedals - not good for me. So I might end up staying with the stock seat until I can sell the truck and get a 4Runner.

I may have an interest in the SR5 seats - where are you?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other end of the country, unfortunately. I am in Ct. Doubt it's worth the trouble/expense to ship them.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:41 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
I put some Acura Integra seats in my old 1983 single cab....
I like the firm Honda/Acura seats, and have first-hand experience with late 80's Prelude which are recaro style and promote a Marine's - not grandpa's - alert posture. That's what I want to try on my first-gen.
I don't know yet whether they're plu n play in to the first gen 4Runner, but it should not be too difficult to make adapter brackets if not plug n play.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Ray - it's been like 13 years since I messed with those Integra seats, I was really happy with the comfort level, and from what I can remember, it wasn't too hard to get them to fit, I think I just welded a flat piece of steel to the Acura seats with a hole in it that was lined up to the original factory hole...hard to remember exactly. The big problem for me was that darn single cab truck is so tiny when you are 6'2", I just couldn't get a great seat position that put my back comfortable and gave me enough leg room. With the 4Runner, this would not be a problem. The sliding passenger seat would be a little tricky, but I'm sure you could figure it out.