Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacement Exhaust 93 22re

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Exhaust 93 22re

I bought a 93 toyota pickup with 22re almost a year ago the kid i got it from wasn't too bright for some reason the exhaust was all jacked up. There isn't even a tailpipe it just stops after the muffler. The exhaust has major leak problems too. I have never replaced an exhaust before and was looking for some help. I tried to search to find info but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I want to replace the ENTIRE exhaust from header to exhaust tip. I do not know of any kits that are offered to replace the entire exhaust in one shot, I have seen kits that are for headers and then a CAT back also from the same company. Do these kits usually come with all the gaskets you will need? And if the kits is for headers does it just provide the headers and no other piping? Basically, If someone could help me find a cheap way to replace the whole exhaust system thats what I'm trying to do.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two types of headers. You have a short and long header. The short one will have a down pipe and the short piece in front of the cat. The long header will only have the second pipe that connects between the header and the cat.

Then you have a cat back system. As its called, it runs from the cat to the back of the truck.

Many times you get what you pay for. The cheap cat backs might not have hangers and you will have to get some 'multi fit' hangers and work it out yourself.

IMO,, you need to get a long try Y type header. Then take your truck to an exhaust shop and have them work out the cat back. They can remove your existing cat back and bend what you want and weld the mounts in the proper place.

You dont need a high performance cat back for a 100 HP 4cyl Toyota engine, all you need is something between 2 and 2.25 inch pipe. SO dont blow a paycheck on some high end Borla type cat back.. instead spend your cash on a quality header.

SO why put your $$ on a header? Again, you typically get what you pay for. Good headers will have thicker head flange (less likely to warp and leak) better collector (the joint at the output side of the header), better meaning no leakages.

When you get you header, it will remind you of drunk dating, pretty at first but by morning shes going to be ugly as hell. Many install the header and let it ruin the finish only to remove it and hit it with high temp paint.

IF you want to spend a little more $ and prevent having to coat it later, take it new, have it stripped and ceramic coated.

Do not wrap your header! Wraps keep heat in the system and the headers available for 22RE's cannot handle the heat.

OBX makes a cheap header, some hate it, some love it. That shows their quality is not consistant. Pacesetter is a little better from consumer research I have done.

DT's seem to have the best consumer comments but its also (maybe) the most expensive. However they also seem to have a performance gain over others by way of design.

As for me,, screw them all,, I built my own header on the DT design and for pocket change.

Hope this helps
Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 PM

DO NOT get a pacesetter save up and get a doug thorley or something else....
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 PM

Lc engineering header $368 but the best there is even over doug thorley and flowmaster 40 exhaust from an exhaust shop usually around $200
Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 AM

This is what I'm looking at getting now

Headers

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...E-AFD57B01689E

Cat

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...c-c1f67756fc4a

Cat back

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...9-cdb9fab44efe

Sorry if the links don't work posted from my phone

or flow 40 haven't decided yet but here is a cat back I'm considering let me know what you guys think?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 AM

I was just looking at all that last night too actually i want to get the header but the exhaust is really expensive i thought. I always got mine done for $200 from the header back and a flowmaster 40. That's all stainless though, the exhaust i get isnt but it holds up just fine. Im gonna call an exhaust shop around here in idaho and see what i can get it done for.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Yeah I was thinking I'm gonna weld in the new hangers and flow 40 with a straight through muffler or just pipe haven't decided yet tho.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i've recently been looking at options for replacing my exhaust since it's mostly swiss-cheese, lol. Don't know what state you're in, but for us CA residents things are a bit more difficult when it comes to exhaust.

For headers you've got a couple options: stock header followed by opened up downpipe - to me this makes sense; the good 'ole LCE (4-1) header; Trail Gear now has a header that's very similar to the (4-1) LCE/pacesetter/downey design; OBX header, again very similar to the others, but shorter and looks cheaply made; lastly is the Doug Thorley (4-2-1) which seems to have the best design but comes with the highest price tag.

Not too many companies out there carrying exhaust systems for the 22re, but you've already found the LCE one. I've also seen one from Dave'z Offroad - it's not up on their website right now since they just changed some things, but theirs comes with a new CAT and a flowmaster for a better price than any exhaust shop i've called.