Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

replaced TPS- excellent results

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
replaced TPS- excellent results

I have been throwing code 41 TPS and rather than messing with multimeters and measurements decided to replace the whole thing with a new one.

went to nix99 last night with that TPS and a box of parts and met deathcougar.
He put on and adjusted the TPS, also installed front marlincrawler brake pads for me and we flushed brake fluid until it was clear all around.
he did a great job as usual, northwest washington is lucky to have a resource like deathcougar. in regards to the marlin pads, the pads are excellent quality but the holes were not exactly positioned and so were a PITA for deathcougar to put on. I think I would recommend stock front brake pads to others in the future.

the purpose of this post is to talk about the changes in the rig since the TPS was replaced. First I would like to ask myself why I did not do this sooner, I do not know, I think I am lucky that I finally threw the code 41!

The first impression is that the idle is completely stable now, it was good before, but now it is truly embedded in the 800RPM mark with no vibration or flux. this is really nice.

next, the acceleration is completely more responsive, it has altered the behavior of the gas pedal in a very dramatic way, when I accelerate the responsiveness is much improved, even my wife commented 'it feels faster'. which is rare as she does not always notice engine modification/adjustments to the 4runner. the other thing which I am still getting used to is that when I release the gas pedal, there is a definite reaction in speed, this did not happen before, when I used to release the gas pedal, nothing happened except I would just coast, there was no reaction, now I can feel a slowing down when I release the pedal, if that makes sense. I think it's finally working the way it is supposed to work with tactile feedback from steeping on and releasing the accelerator.

I think that all this time my TPS was completely broken so the ECU had no clue about what the TB was doing. I am enjoying this a great deal as it feels and drives like a very different and better truck. SO, at $70 from 1sttoyotaparts, I would recommend that 2nd gen owners who may have idle issues or non-responsive acceleration might invest in a new TPS, it might be a worthwhile investment, and may improve gas mileage in the long run. it definitely improved driveability for me and it is more fun to drive with better throttle response. a much more responsive truck!

Last edited by taikowaza; 06-10-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Aww im blushin here lol.

Just to clarify, the brake pads have shims glued on the back of them. The problem we ran into with the brake pads was the shims on all the pads were glud on just slightly off center, so the retainer pins had trouble lining up through them. Slight modification and a little "gentle pursuasion" helped the pins through the pads.

One of a big causes of bad gas mileage and poor throttle response is a misadjusted or worn out TPS. Replacing Tims TPS has had good results looks like. One major thing many of you others might want to check, is what I call "sticky spring". The TPS may be functioning, but the tps can wear out and be sticky almost like it has a goop in there (though none is present). It will cause erratic idle and an abrupt idle down problem. Luckily with Tims TPS, it hadn't become sticky, just caused a code.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
great... now deathcougar's ego is going to want it's own identity and avatar on the forum here.

otherwise, great information to share!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Staff

Thats a good idea.....
Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
DeathCougar's at Nix99? Hmmm.....I ordered a fuel pump relay from there a couple of weeks ago. (Great part, btw). Spoke with a dude named ****. I wonder if **** knew who I was.???
Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Staff

well, there are only a few of us....Josh (me), Jake, Mike, Mike, and Mitch
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, so the tps is probably responsible for my idle range. Sometimes it is at 800rpms others it is about to stall, then after i drive for a second its fine and back to normal 800 rpms or close to it?

Another problem i have with my tps is how when i try to hold it steady or when i am accelerating really slowely in first gear and only at 1700 rpms the rpms will jump up and down until i either shift/release throttle/ or go past that point.

Do you guys think that most likely, me replacing my tps will solve both problems?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Staff

That does indeed sound like the TPS. A faulty or misadjusted TPS will cause the exact problem you are describing. I would try adjusting it first, then replacing it.

I had an 85 MR2 that would do exactly what you are describing. Ended up being the TPS, which didn't cost very much to fix. I think you can get a new TPS from Strap22 for about $75 shipped or so.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
well, there are only a few of us....Josh (me), Jake, Mike, Mike, and Mitch

Oh....I could have sworn there was also a Larry, his brother Darryl, and his other brother Darryl....

Josh...I do believe I spoke with you. The other names do not ring a bell at all. Hmmm....well, wish I'd knowned. Hello, anyways!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Okay then, thanks!

$75 i can't really afford to spend at the moment, but maybe i can adjust mine, currently it is out of commision waiting for my diff to get back from a shop.

My order of things to do!

Get diff back
install diff
Do something with the belts to stop squeaking
Possibly test compression (don't know if i want to pull all the plugs on the 3.0)
Contemplate buying new tps.

Hopefully i will get around to it.

I was always kind of fearfull that the change in idle might have been the head gaskets, but glad to know it is probably the tps, definitely want to get it fixed though!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by thook
Oh....I could have sworn there was also a Larry, his brother Darryl, and his other brother Darryl....

Josh...I do believe I spoke with you. The other names do not ring a bell at all. Hmmm....well, wish I'd knowned. Hello, anyways!
I don't recall sending a relay....circuit open relay?...to AR, but stranger things have happened. At least you are a satisfied customer!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 PM

Yep...COR....Winslow, AR.....Matthew Higdon.

Oh well....dudn't matter. Part works great. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Staff

lol nice. And I didn't even crack any jokes! WTH.

Anyways, back on topic! We are stealin Tims thunder here.

904_Runner: Get that TPS checked out asap. It may not be a bad idea to do a compression test too, just to get a baseline idea how your engine is operating. Sometimes you can catch a little problem before it becomes a major problem. Sounds to me like its merely the TPS tho.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 AM

will do! have the gauge for the compression, maybe ill do that today!

Ill search around about the tps, we don't have any tools to test sensors. No ohm meters or anything like that.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
will do! have the gauge for the compression, maybe ill do that today!

Ill search around about the tps, we don't have any tools to test sensors. No ohm meters or anything like that.
You can pick up a cheap digital multimeter from Harbor Freight for $5, that'll do whatcha need. It's a good tool to have around anyway. You can get nicer ones for $20 or so if you want to spring for them.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 PM

I just changed the TPS on my rig[22r],and cant believe the difference in the way this thing runs! Wasnt showing any codes till I took it off and tested it.When i put it back on,the truck would'nt run at any thing but idle. 85 bucks at autozone,2 year warranty,truck is much more responsive now.Lots of useful info on this site!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:36 PM

so if your TPS is bad or not adjusted properly it wont neccesarily throw a trouble code? how do you adjusted it and test it?
Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 PM

double post.... before I posted

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-20-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by jdw1
so if your TPS is bad or not adjusted properly it wont neccesarily throw a trouble code? how do you adjusted it and test it?
http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
Old 06-21-2008, 11:05 AM

i put a new TPS on mine and now the damn thing idles up and down. tried adjusting it but it still does it. no throttle response. help please!

Quick Reply: replaced TPS- excellent results