86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replaced my starter contacts today

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced my starter contacts today

Couple weeks ago i started to get the click when trying to start thing going. It would still start after many attempts but i didn't want to get stranded somewhere. i even kept a hammer and long extension in the truck just in case i need to whack it to get home. i priced out new or reman starters, and the cheapest i found even with my discount at work was around $140. i wasn't looking forward to dishing that kind of cash out.

so i went to 4crawlers web site to order some contacts. he sells 4 different sizes, you need to measure your old ones to find out which ones you need. well, my jeep daily driver ˟˟˟˟ out its water pump, so i didn't have time to disassemble and measure then order. on his site he says you can use two 'A' size contacts in any starter, so thats what i ordered.

i did the job today at work. it was much easier than i thought, i got it done in under an hour. having a lift to work on made it so much easier. a couple tips i can offer up: removing the slave cylinder and dropping the steering off at the idler arm gave me plenty of room to get it in and out. i didn't take any pictures, but the contacts were shot! i only wish i had bought a new plunger as it had what looked to be a considerable amount of wear on it. i took some sand paper to clean it up a little, but for anyone doing this in the future take into consideration a new plunger would be nice to have. the 'A' size contacts worked just fine, in fact one was the same size. one was a little larger, but i don't think it will make a big difference. the truck starts right up now.

very happy that it only cost me $12 to do this, and happy that 4crawler had them to me in 3 days. thumbs up to him, wouldn't hesitate to order from him again.