Sponsored by: DashLynx

replace motor or head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace motor or head gasket?

okay so I need help guys

I have a 1993 toyota 4x4 pickup 4cyl standard. with 210xxx miles

and i managed to blow the head gasket. but also the truck is leaking oil either from the rear main seal or oil pan.

I did drive the truck for a little while when it had over heated so im afraid of replacing the gasket and finding that the block is screwed. I found a new rebuilt 22re for about six bills. I do have basic skills and think i could pull of replacing the motor way easier then fixing the head gasket. any opinions guys. also the truck has a rebuilt tranny new clutch new drive shaft new rear axle and a bunch of ther stuff all done by shops this would be the first attempt of me fixing the truck myself? so what do you all think?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
A new head gasket and timing set can be bought for $100 to $200 depending on your source. Might as well do the timing set unless you know it was done recently. Oil pan is relatively easy to remove/reseal. The rear main is obviously labor intensive. Personally I'd go with fix what you have. It's a lot cheaper but takes longer and takes some skill. If you have the money and not the time or knowledge necessary then I guess swap in another motor.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 PM

well if you are replacing the motor, you can do the rear main when you pull the old motor out. if you have the money i would say put the rebuilt 22re in there... it's always nice to have a low milage engine in your truck.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 PM

update on the yota

okay guys so I ended up having the motor rebuilt with a new gasket set. rear main seal and all that problem is now taken care of. now i have the following either rebuilt or replaced. driveshaft rear axle motor tranny and clutch. all the remaining issues i have with the truck are cosmetic i put new carpet in and now im thinking of purchasing a set of seats that are out of a bmw. im going with buckets to give me more room to put a 6x9 speaker and a cupholder that can fully handle cups from the future that we get everywhere now adays that people in 1993 would have fainted at the sight of lol. im so tired of never being able to fit drinks into my stock cup holder. anyways for the seats i was gonna try to somehow get power to the existing bmw female plug. im not big into electronics past a basic understanding but it seemed like i just needed an antenna or w.e power and ground from looking and the connection. besides the power obsticle theres the mounting. new rail system? build brackets that would adapt a fit? im just curious to what you guys think or if maybe there was a more direct fitting bucket seat replacement. oh and im trying to have as minimal of a dash as possible. im gonna organize all my thread posts and pictures to have a better way of showing and asking you fellow yota masters the tasks at hand. but yeah besides the interior seats, doors, and dash all i need is to sand and paint this badboy and im ready for some upgrades!! thanks again hopefully i get replys before i go and get the seats oh and im getting the set of two with a slight tear on drivers side for thirty. good or bad buy? thanks!!